Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Emotional bomb shelters for the Atomic Age...

Pages: 1 18 replies

...was a description for midcentury Tiki bars that I came up with here a while ago, but this does not begin to describe THIS unbelievable pad:

http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2003/MERC-Jul-24-Thu-2003/21776691.html

...no mention of Tiki, but the murals are a similar concept, and maybe, who knows, they might have a home bar...
I gotta see this place in any case!

TM1

Whoa!!!!! It's my dream house!!!!!!!!

Coolest thing I have seen yet!

TM1

Great idea for your next book bigbro!!!!!

Good title too!!

Document all known bomb shelters, and then write about the overall red scare, and how it influenced our american culture!!

J

I've seen the intact bomb shelter at the Smithsonian but this place sounds unbelievable! Wish they had some pics!

I saw a show on this place on HGTV about six months back. Pretty incredible place. I think I remember being able to rent it out for partys but I'm not exactly sure.

I've heard about this place before, but wasn't aware of all the particulars. I'm old enough to have lived through the Cuban missle crisis and was taught "duck 'n cover" in school, so the bomb shelter mentality is well ingrained in my psyche. I try to laugh it off & put Dr. Strangelove on the VCR.

This has aired a few times on Extreme Homes, the last being March 14, 2004. Yes, this home is available for rent, exclusively through "Activity Planners, Inc." in Las Vegas.

Click here for more pictures and a little info. Scroll down to where it says "THE UNDERGROUND HOUSE. The Wonder Down Under". They do not have prices available publicly. You must complete their request form in order to get a call back from them.

This is an awesome bachelor pad!
I too have seen it on some P.M. magazine show.
It reminds me of my favorite movie bachelor pad scenes of swingsters; Peter Sellers in "The Party".
What a cool movie this was, to capture the swingin 60's "moments of the era" on film.
Please rent it if you have not seen it.
Thanks for the pics bigbrotiki!

The same man built the "Underground World Home" @ the 1964 NY World's Fair:

http://nywf64.com/undrghome01.shtml
http://www.nywf64photos.com/PicPages/UNDRGRND.htm

P

Location, Location, Location.

I've been trying to track down pictures of this place for ages. Is there any information on the house he built in Colorado?

Building underground has some advantages. But this guy's go no view!

[edit]
Looking at stuff like http://www.nywf64photos.com/Personal/ImageIndex.htm makes me feel melancholy for the future we were promised.

[ Edited by: Philot on 2004-04-16 10:25 ]

it's missing one thing: sharks with laser beams attached to their heads...

M

Emotional bomb shelters is absolutely a correct term. I can escape my job and the daily mess by sneaking off to a tiki bar or my own home bar, poping on some Denny and sucking up a few rum drinks! I love it.

Also, I recently saw a special on Home & Garden TV Channel that highlighted underground homes. There was this guy who spent years digging under his above-ground house. He eventually created a 3 or four story "complex" under his normal home.

M

Located in Fresno!

http://www.undergroundgardens.com/index.html

Check it out- it's fascinating.

M

"...abundant, dry, stimulating filtered air..."

"...By"dialing" the proper blends of electrical sunshine, twilight, moonlight or starlight, and mixing the correct formulas of heating or cooling, occupants can regulate their own climate..."

"...The Underground Home is thus protected from...the physical and psychological assaults caused by our industrialized society and the population explosion"

THAT'S modernism!

*On 2004-04-16 09:43, Johnny Dollar wrote:*it's missing one thing: sharks with laser beams attached to their heads...

would you settle for ill tempered mutated sea bass?

HOT DANG! No that's a bomb shelter. Much nicer than the dank and cramped one in my childhood home!

For those that love the Atomic check out:

Conelrad's Nuclear Families.

The Civil Defense Museums Shelter Tour Page.

I have heard that here in Glendale the electronica duo The Crystal Method uses a home bomb shelter as a recording studio.

But forget the shelters, I want to live in the World's Fair "Festival of Gas" Pavilion!

"May the Blesssing of the Bomb, and the Fellowship of the Holy fallout descend upon us all."

Find "The Atomic Cafe" and watch it. I used to use a lot of this film in my old art (when I was young and full of anarchy and green hair). Some parts are gnarley like the tests they used to do on live pigs. Their skin would melt off on slow motion. Instant luau!

And get "Trinity and Beyond" (The Atomic Bomb Movie). Restored color footage of atomic bomb tests - Frighteningly beautiful. Instant long-pig!

"Crawl out through the fallout baby,
to my lovin arms,
Through the rain of Strontium 90.
Think about your hero, when you at ground zero..."

P

For whatever reason, tonight I remembered my fallout shelter pamphlet distributed by Civil Defense back in the early '60s and thought I'd see what TC had to say about bomb shelters. I am absolutely fascinated by the cold war and hope to someday have a bomb shelter tiki bar. My ideal is to build everything in the basement to look like I had a bomb shelter untouched since the '60s, with a tiki bar inside. Someday...

Pages: 1 18 replies