Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Movie: "The Party."

Pages: 1 24 replies

i looked and could not find a thread about this movie. of course, if you search the forum every third post is about a "party" :)

but i have noticed that this 1968 movie by blake edwards appears to be a seminal movie in many TC'er minds.

aside from my favorite catchphrase of all time (birdie num-num), i love the song "nothing to lose" sung by claudine longet, who incidentally was signed by herb alpert's a&m records about the same time as this movie (surprise)

wanted to point out that dimitri from paris' album "sacrebleu" covers the song quite wonderfully: track 4 - vocal, 18 - lounge instrumental.

enjoy the party! j$

Funny you should bring that up! I am totally thrilled to say that I registered the username 'birdynumnums' on Ebay the other day. I couldn't beleive it wasn't taken, so I had to have it!

Johnny Dollar wrote:
i looked and could not find a thread about this movie. of course, if you search the forum every third post is about a "party"...but i have noticed that this 1968 movie by blake edwards appears to be a seminal movie in many TC'er minds...

J$~
True. There isn't an actual thread on this movie, but merely brief (honorable) mentions of it here, here, and here.

On 2004-04-16 11:14, tikifish wrote:
Funny you should bring that up! I am totally thrilled to say that I registered the username 'birdynumnums' on Ebay the other day. I couldn't beleive it wasn't taken, so I had to have it!

it had to be...

http://www.birdynumnum.com/

This movie requires a new thread of it's own. :)

I rented it just to show my fiance what the hell I'm talking about every time I say 'birdie num-num' And the house is SO COOL. There should have been tikis by the pool.

What a funny movie. Years after I saw The Party I watched a few French movies made by Jacques Tati. (Movie Madness rents them here in Portland.) One of them had to have influenced Edwards as the main scene has that same "party spinning out of control" theme. I think the title is Playtime. Seems like there are about
five or six Tati movies that are available to rent. Mr. Hulot's Holiday is very funny and all are worth checking out.

T

I love Jacques Tati movies! How about the one (Mon Oncle) where a family lives in a ultra-modern house and throw a party, and Jacques Tati plays a guest who gets into all kinds of trouble with the modern gadgets? Hey, wait a minute, that's the same story that they used in The Party 10 years later! And Jacques Tati didn't have to speak a word to make it funny. Don't get me wrong, I like The Party. Peter Sellers and Jacques Tati are both comic geniuses.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Dad took us to see it in the theatre when it came out. I was a little kid so that scene with the toilet paper was the funniest thing to me.

I loved the scenes at the modern house where the couple are looking out the round windows and their heads move in tandem like giant eyeballs. No problem if you don't speak French as the humor in these films is mostly non-verbal.

When ever I feel myself getting grim around the mouth what words always bring a smile to my face.... That's right; num nums, Birdie num nums.
It feels good try it.
So Zazz.
Chongolio

H

Thanks for starting this thread, Johnny Dollar! I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've heard enough references to it that it's been on my list for a while. Tonight's the night! I'm going to go pick up a copy, and Floratina's on her way over to watch it with me and drink champagne.

Is it available on DVD (either in the US or Europe)? I saw it about 8 years ago, found it WAY better than expected, but haven't seen a copy since.

Trader Woody

On 2004-04-17 02:03, Trader Woody wrote:
Is it available on DVD (either in the US or Europe)? I saw it about 8 years ago, found it WAY better than expected, but haven't seen a copy since.
Trader Woody

Netflix has it. This is surely the coolest
bachelor pad around (in this movie).
P.S., This was the movie where I fell in love with Carol Wayne.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-04-17 02:35 ]

T

Wow that birdy num num site is a real waste of a good URL!

Here's a great bio about Claudine Longet.

http://www.swinginchicks.com/claudine_longet.htm

What a great movie! How about our hero's ride...a Messerschmidt http://www.davepics.com/Misc/Cars/Messerschmidt You don't see many of those in movies anymore (or then, actually). I like the interaction with the Hollywood cowboy too. Cowboys & Indians go together so well, little partner.

i feel the party love :)

for more swingin pad action, i suggest viewing all the "matt helm" movies ~ i think 'the silencers' is the best...

(hrundi smelling the caviar on his hand): "pooh!"

T

After all the great reviews I rented it on Netflix. I agree awesome house. I had to rewind it @ the credits when I saw Gavin in the credits.

On 2004-04-18 16:54, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
What a great movie! How about our hero's ride...a Messerschmidt http://www.davepics.com/Misc/Cars/Messerschmidt You don't see many of those in movies anymore (or then, actually). I like the interaction with the Hollywood cowboy too. Cowboys & Indians go together so well, little partner.

Cool site Joey!

V

On 2004-04-16 14:19, thejab wrote:
Peter Sellers and Jacques Tati are both comic geniuses.

sssoo true. They're my idols

The DVD of 'The Party' is going to be released in the UK on June 7th, 2004 along with another classic of the era 'What's New Pussycat'.

Hooray!
Trader Woody

V

On 2004-04-28 02:11, Trader Woody wrote:
The DVD of 'The Party' is going to be released in the UK on June 7th, 2004 along with another classic of the era 'What's New Pussycat'.

Hooray!
Trader Woody

Is it gonna be bonus on it ?? Because I have the american DVD and it's a bit poor on special features, it only has the trailer.

I'm not sure, but we Brit's are pretty scathing about any DVD's that don't come with a raft full of special features. And we'd like a Shag cover too. Thanks. :)

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 24 replies