Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Taboo Tiki Guitar by Von Franco

Pages: 1 14 replies

K

The guitar is cool. I don't play, but I looked good holding it.

There was only like 75 of them made, and I don't think there are very many still available.

They are trying to get a couple available for the "Von Franco and Friends" Bahooka show. get more info about the show here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8517&forum=4&2

Erich

I like Von Franco's stuff and that's a pretty cool guitar but the tiki decal (or whatever it is that they stuck on there under the finish)? Kinda weak. The tiki on the wiggle stick looks cheep too. I know that in order to produce these kinda things in mass, there needs to be comprimises but if you're gonna do it, do it right.

That Telecaster that Shag did last year for Fender was the way to do it. Koa wood, tiki inlays on the neck, graphics intigrated throughout the body, not just a sticker stuck on the guitar.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2004-04-18 20:15 ]

M

Aloha,

I was on ebay and saw someone selling a set of 6 "Tiki Taboo" guitar picks. The going price on ebay was $8.50, but I thought I'd do a search for them on my favorite musician website "Musician's Friend"... Sure enough, there they were - going for $2.99 for the same set of six.

Here's the link:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040421150851172194214149914772/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/110041/

Just thought I'd let everyone know in case you want to grab a few for yourselves.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-04-23 07:30 ]

"I like Von Franco's stuff and that's a pretty cool guitar but the tiki decal (or whatever it is that they stuck on there under the finish)? Kinda weak."

Yeah, looks like they just recycled the leftover decals from the Taboo Tiki Bike by Dyno.
Dig that green metal flake paint job though...
:tiki:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. You need to design specifically for something like a guitar, not just slap a sticker on it and laminate over it.

Cool pics, I just wish that they were one color. All of the colors just kinda cheepens them to me.

I know you're all thinking, 'critique, critique, critique...' I'm just saying my piece, and I welcome anyone to have a difference of opinion.

[i]On 2004-04-22 19:01, Luckydesigns wrote:[

I know you're all thinking, 'critique, critique, critique...' I'm just saying my piece, and "I welcome anyone to have a difference of opinion."

LuckyD, Do YOU have a GeeTar (not personal)with a your own designs on it for sale???

(personally, I always go with, "If you don't like the program turn the channel." This comes from one with grey hair.)

Just so there is no confusion, I'm about 99.9% positive those are not Von Francos guitar picks. They are not his designs, that isn't his art, and he does not endorse them.
(I'll find out for sure though)
They are cool picks regardless.

Luckydesigns, As far as critiquing the guitar...its your right. And it was nice you did it tastefully. Everyone has there own opinions. No Problem. But you really gotta see it in person before you critique it too much, pictures don't do it justice. Come see one at the Bahooka Show on July 10th.

I know several celebrities have bought the guitar, and I know several more that are looking at getting one. More info on that will be released in upcoming months I think.

Erich

M

On 2004-04-23 00:23, ErichTroudt wrote:
Just so there is no confusion, I'm about 99.9% positive those are not Von Francos guitar picks. They are not his designs, that isn't his art, and he does not endorse them.
(I'll find out for sure though)
They are cool picks regardless.

Guess I just assumed they were because of the title. Thanks for pointing that out. I edited the post until you confirm.

I will also hold my judgement until I see the guitar in person. From the pictures, I can't say it's quite my style. But, I do hope that Von Franco and Shag do more. I'd also love to see what Gecko & Drew Brophy might design. It's great seeing the Tiki Culture in music.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-04-23 07:34 ]

Yep...it's confirmed. Those aren't Von Franco's guitar pics. It's not his artwork.

Erich

N

the pick designs look like Forbes did them.

M

On 2004-04-23 18:06, net-tiki wrote:

Winner, winner!

Net-Tiki,
I just received the picks today and the artist is Alan Forbes.

N

Alright! so what do I win for the right answer. HaHa! I am just kidding. I actually have the sticker of the tiki with the flames.

L

On 2004-04-23 18:06, net-tiki wrote:

the pik designs look like those car stickers. does look like forbes.

http://www.posterpop.com/

BTW: seen the Shag Guitar Poster foldout in Guitar magazine?! It could be a collector's item.
whootah!
its big and its cool. tikis in some kinda rock group in da jungle.

seen da vonfranco stuff on dat site.
is he paying royalties to the Von Dutch trust?! That winged eyeball is a dutch trademark. and thoise monster rodders are roth/williams creations inspired.

L

On 2004-04-16 12:15, Kanaka wrote:
http://www.vonfranco.com/TabooTikiGuitar.htm

too bad da tiki's doin' da japanese tourist shaka!

Pages: 1 14 replies