Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hpnotiq

Pages: 1 8 replies

Ok, I feel like I need some abuse, "Bong"? I hate to admit it but I kind of like sipping on some of that Hpnotiq with a good squeeze of lime, on the rocks. I passed it by for quit a while in Costco "because I hate the French of course", but finally I broke down and paid the $19.99 and know I'm on my third bottle, "or is it my fourth?". Anyway, at 17% it is like a strong tiki wine that looks good and tastes good "with a squeeze of lime". I like to enjoy it while trying to calm down after shaking up a bunch of drinks. No fuss no muss, whatever that means.

Cheers,

KT

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-04-16 22:20 ]

Well, as long as we are confessing, I like Tropico, ice cold.

I've actually added Hpnotiq to the Cocktail Menu in the (still in the planning stages) Kapu Luakinin Lounge since discovering the recipe for the namesake cocktail from the Blue Fin restaurant in NYC. Recipe is as follows:

2 oz. Absolute Citron
1 oz. Hpnotiq
3 oz. White Cranberry Juice

Shake all ingredients and pour into old-fashioned glass. Garnish with Swedish (Gummy) Fish.

Some may not like it. Some may think it's not Tiki enough. I do, though, and I think it is. And I promise I'll never hold a Colt Python .357 Magnum to the head of any reluctant individual and demand that they drink one. How's that?

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-04-18 21:36 ]

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-04-18 21:38 ]

What if we request that?

Okay. I suppose that, if asked to, I might would. I can't promise the Python would be loaded, however, as my wife tends to keep the ammunition as far away from the liquor cabinet as possible. I sometimes run out of Swedish Gummi Fish, too, so you might have to deal with having an unloaded .357 Magnum at your head and a Gummi Fish deficient trendy cocktail at your lips.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-04-20 22:11 ]

R

Speaking of hpnotiq...I bought a mini-bottle of this yesterday as I could've sworn one of the Beachbum's books had a recipe that called for it. Have scanned all 3 multiple times, but I must be hpnotiqzed or something because it remains unseen.

Can anyone point me to a Grog Log, Intoxica or Taboo Table recipe that calls for Hpnotiq?

Many mahalos in advance,
Rupe

UPDATE: further thorough research of the 3 books in question reveals me to be mistaken... no Hpnotiq in the Beachbum's books. Will have to do further research as to the best way to dispense said liquid into a tasty concoction.

[ Edited by: rupe33 2006-11-01 09:31 ]

K

I'm fairly certain that you are thinking of Alize (unless I am mistaken, which is very possible, but it is still early and I am not yet drunk).

Jeff mentions Alize passion fruit liqueur by brand name, but never Hypnotique (sp?) as far as I know. Although I do not own Taboo Table. So...

But hey, if you dig the stuff.. don't let that stop you from mixing drinks with it.

Playa.

Ahu

I

I stopped in one hotel bar in the D.C. area after an evening of theatre, hoping for a martini or similar post-show cocktail. I asked the bartender if they could make any tropical drinks, like the Mai Kai. He directed me to the drink menu, I can't remember the drink name, but it was made up of pineapple juice, coconut rum, and Hypnotiq. It was pretty tasty, and better than some of the poorly made mai-tais I have been served at other bars.

I have since used Hypnotiq at home in several other drinks .... I mainly add a bit into some other drink recipe, often on a second drink serving, to give it a more unique and exotic flavor.

Vern

Hpnotiq was all the rage a few years ago. I don't really see it much any more on the East Coast. Alize is definitely still around and now we have Lichido, which looks to be the next hot "it" beverage-I only recently tried it but I'm so hooked. It's lycheelicious.

Pages: 1 8 replies