Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New! Funko Spastik Plastik: Dino, Fez Wearin' Tiki

Pages: 1 13 replies

W

Funko, the makers of Wacky Wobblers, has a new line of non-wobbling plastic figurines called Spastik Plastik. Several fun retro-riffic designs, but of interest to the likes of us is #6, "Dino", a cigar chompin', martini drinkin' fez wearin' Tiki guy in a maroon dinner jacket. As usual with stuff from Funko (another fine Washington state based company!) the detail is very good and Dino is just plain swell looking. On the back of the packages there's pics of fraternal order type things (Vegas, a swizzle, a bowling patch...) including an "Order Of Tiki Brotherhood" logo. Dino would be the perfect little mascott for some sorta Tiki based semi-quasi-members-only kind if thing...If that sorta thing existed. Which I'm not saying it does.

$10 or so. Probably available at an all-things-cool shop near you (or for much more on eBay).

Funko has another Tiki item coming out a little later this year. So set aside some allowance money now.

'Spastik Plastik'? Woah!!! These are going to be withdrawn within hours of any Cerebral Palsy charities finding out!

Buy them now folks....

Trader Woody

K

Well here is Dino for your viewing pleasure ... Seems Pre-Orders are being taken online right now for this cool dude.

[ Edited by: Kanaloa on 2004-04-17 10:19 ]

W

Thanks for posting the photo. Dino looks better in person. I was at a shop yesterday as they were coming out of the box. For the first time in my life I might be the first kid on the block with something new (except for that case of ringworm back in '73).

K

That looks like Tiki King!

D

[i]I was at a shop yesterday as they were coming out of the box. .

hi woofmutt
hey ~ what store?

W

Somewhere a dogbytes said, "woofmutt
hey ~ what store?"

Rialto Movie Art in the Pioneer Square neighborhood. Local hipsters and visiting cool kids, take note: Rialto is worth a visit. Their small basement shop has so much swell stuff in it they redefine the word "crammed". Tons of contemporary pop items and some vintage stuff. Lots of TV and movie related items (picked up a Jack Lord postcard for the Tiki bar). A large selection of Funko products (and a display of discontinued Wacky Wobblers). A sprinkling of Tiki things. If you're a Shag fan (someone said a few of you are) you'll want to take out a small loan before visiting as there's something Shag everywhere the eye lands...Lots of stickers, paper stuffs, pins, the Shag condoms*, several styles of Aloha shirts ($60), and so on. (Didn't notice any mugs.) The prices are standard and the owner(s) are real friendly folk.

Rialto Movie Art
81 1/2 Washington Street
(in the Pioneer Square neighborhood)
206-622-5099

Open Wednesday-Sunday 11-4 MAYBE (It took 4 visits during their business hours before I found them actually open). In the block of Washington west (that be towards the sea, maties) of 1st Ave, in a basement shop without a lot of fanfare topside announcing their presence (I'd been planning to go to Rialto for years but never noticed it when in Pioneer Square, so go with intent in mind and address in hand).

*Just kidding. When you see so much Shag at once it seems like it's Shag's world and we just shop in it.

D

woofmutt! hey thanks! sounds like a great place to spend my lunch money.

although i might not be hip or cool enough to fit in... i'll give it a try!

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2004-04-18 16:07 ]

Sharon (the owner of Rialto) is great and is friends with a couple of my friends. I've been there a few times and it is its own little world of cool collectibles. A must-see on any trip to Seattle if you like things from the past (as well as new things).

I picked up this Shag poster (yes, I know it has advertising on it, but it's not a perfect world) at Rialto. I almost didn't buy it. I'm glad I did. As you open the basement door this is the first thing you see:

I backlit it with a light box so it is nicely illuminated. I also had to cut down those torches and make them electric. Then as you descend the stairs you enter my tiki world...

Sharon (the owner of Rialto) is great and is friends with a couple of my friends. I've been there a few times and it is its own little world of cool collectibles. A must-see on any trip to Seattle if you like things from the past (as well as new things).

I picked up this Shag poster (yes, I know it has advertising on it, but it's not a perfect world) at Rialto. I almost didn't buy it. I'm glad I did. As you open the basement door this is the first thing you see:

I backlit it with a light box so it is nicely illuminated. I also had to cut down those torches and make them electric. Then as you descend the stairs you enter my tiki world...

Not to be tooting my own horn or anything but anybody attending the NW Tiki Crawl this weekend and your in Portland can drop by my store - "Dr. Tongues 3-D House of Collectible Toys" at 1408 E. Burnside. We have the Spatiks Dino and Ellwood as well as the Pop ups for sale (BTW - the other saying for the pop up is "Your my Idol"). I will also have a few at my home bar (one of the stops on Sunday) if anyone is interested. OR you can order online from our site: http://www.drtonguestoys.com. Woofmutt can atest to the fact the store rocks!!! End of self promotion! Go about your lives........

On april 29th of this very year woofmutt did indeed rave :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8195&forum=4&vpost=88837

Here's the gist from that post:

If you don't know already: Maori_man's shop, Dr. Tongue's 3-D House of Collectible Toys (1408 E Burnside 503-233-8915), is definitely worth a look-see. Chock full of (Surprise!) collectible toys. Lots of "Oh, man, THOSE!" moments. He even sells a collection of the weird candy you thought was long gone...Like candy cigarettes and bubblegum cigars. Fair to real good prices, friendly staff, and the shops small enough to eaves drop on every passing converstaion which made my visit feel like I was an extra in "The Android's Dungeon: The Movie" as written produced and directed by Kevin Smith.

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2004-06-23 23:43 ]

Elwood and Dino are now sitting on my desk at work. They look great and definitely add a little tiki to my otherwise boring grey cubicle.

dredging an old thread up...

I found my Dino at a comic book store.
anyways..In my drawing class last semester I did a lot of drawings of my Dino. I put them here if anyone wants to take a look
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21746&forum=18&start=last&16

Pages: 1 13 replies