Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Need Help - August Holland Print

Pages: 1 28 replies

Hello Everyone,

I found the print below today at the Flea Market.

Its an August Holland as you can see. Its a print and not the original, but it appears to be on heavy cardboard that has indentations to emulate brush strokes.

Does anyone konw what series this is from?

Does anyone know how old this is?

Does anyone know what the print is called?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

[ Edited by: Cool Manchu on 2004-04-18 13:04 ]

D

Here is an interesting past thread about the August Holland prints. According to the posts it's called Treasure Within.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7157&forum=5

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-04-18 13:34 ]

Thank you DawnTiki....

I had read on Holland's site that these actually might be Mayan prints and not tiki at all.

I think it still looks tiki to me...but I haven't seen the other two yet.

Yet another thing to seek....:)

Aloha!

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 18, 2004 2:52 PM

You are a very very lucky person. Not too many of that print floating around. Great find!

D

Cool Manchu wrote

these actually might be Mayan prints and not tiki at all

Hmmm?!? I don't get a Mayan vibe from these A-tall.

D

Oh! And a super find by the way! :D

So, it was worth the 25 bucks I spent then?

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 18, 2004 4:35 PM

On 2004-04-18 15:52, Cool Manchu wrote:
So, it was worth the 25 bucks I spent then?

You could probably make quadruple your investment on ebay, if not more. I've never seen that print on ebay myself. "Pearl of Wisdom" shows up every now and again but not that one.

Thanks for making my day DT and Kono! :D

aloha,

On 2004-04-18 14:08, Cool Manchu wrote:
I had read on Holland's site that these actually might be Mayan prints and not tiki at all.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 12:55 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Apr 18, 2004 7:51 PM

On 2004-04-18 16:52, Cool Manchu wrote:
Thanks for making my day DT and Kono! :D

Anything for a Supersuckers fan. :)

D

I got this off of a Bio page for Mr. Holland

"The most popular of his prints was titled "The Pearl of Wisdom" printed by Goes Lithographing. It featured a Mayan god holding a bowl of light. It appeared in furniture stores across the country and the S&H and Gold Bond stamp catalogs which were popular at the time".

:tiki: Not that I'm an expert on Maori or Mayan cultures but I think someone was confused when they wrote that text, because I'm seeing this print as Maori too.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-04-18 22:04 ]

J

Here's an August Holland question...does anyone have a copy of Pearl of Wisdom they would like to sell or trade for?

I would love to see what the Pearl of Wisdom looks like.

Does anyone have a picture to share?

I found this in TC's search, I think it's from one of Alnshely's posts.

Thank you DawnTiki. :D

On 2004-04-18 21:50, DawnTiki wrote:
:tiki: Not that I'm an expert on Maori or Mayan cultures but I think someone was confused when they wrote that text, because I'm seeing this print as Maori too.

It's a common enough mistake. I get the feeling that when people find an object that looks neither Oriental nor African, they often plump for South American of some type. No doubt there are some great Tiki bargains to be had in the Aztec section of eBay!

Trader Woody

So does anyone know how old these prints are?

Pearl of Wisdom for auction on ebay!

I believe you can see a breif glimpse of the BOL print in the movie "Prey For Rock N Roll".

Here's another one up for grabs - only a few hours left!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20149&item=3720044026&rd=1

Ah, bless the man who invented the 'search' button!

Okay...does anyone remember how much these Pearl prints went for on Ebay?

I recently found one at an antique store and passed on it twice with the $45 ticket on it. And, to me, it was not in the best shape, but a nice print, none the less.

I'm curious if anyone remembers how much some of these had gone for in auctions.

Thanks!

I got my Pearl of Wisdom on ebay for about 75.00 a year ago and it is in excellent shape. I'm always keeping an eye out for the Treasure Within, but haven't seen one on ebay at least in the last year.
Cheers, K

I have this as a large poster...I believe
the title is "The Power Within"..but I am
not positive. The poster does not have
the similated brush strokes like pearl of
Wisdom. In fact I have a spare poster
of "The Power Within" that I would swap if
anyone has a copy of his "drums" print/
poster. August Holland is also famous
for maritime and coastal paintings...and
also used a pseudonym for some arabian
nights paintings...very cool stuff.

J

75 - $45.00 is a decent enough deal on "Pearl of Wisdom." I bought mine on Ebay and with shipping and all it came to $90.00. The auction I posted the link for back in '04 ended up selling for nearly $200!

K

Congatiki, what was the pseudonym August Holland used for the Arabian Nights paintings? Or the names of the paintings, do you know? I would love to see them.

He used the name Sasha Kamouran for a print
called "Arabian Nights." It is a stilllife
with "a magic lamp...sword...some jemstones and a candleholder" in the foreground...with
a desert scene (with a camel train) in the
background. It was confirmed to me by his
wife that he did use this pseudonym for
several paintings...He also has one that
shows an oriental fan dancer...and has the
general look of "Pearl of Wisdom"...blue
background with the dancer holding red
fans..very nice.

Johntiki, thanks bro. I made an offer earlier this week but havent heard back from the vendor yet.
I may just go ahead and pay the $45 now that I have some advice.

The piece I'm looking at has one small nick in the middle...like something got rubbed and dropped against it. Still, it's small and pretty un-noticable.

Thanks again! I appreciate the reply and advice. With any luck, it'll still be there tomorrow!

Pages: 1 28 replies