Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

San Fran

Pages: 1 7 replies

P

First: Empress Bar/Restaurant in Chinatown. Best view of the city from their top floor bar. Not really Tiki - but I did have a drinkable Mai Tai... or 3.

Now unfortunately for my cardio vascular system, walking is something foreign to me over the last 7 years. I moved to suburbia from the country and left all of my athleticism behind.

About a hundred-thirty pounds later, I find myself staggering toward our hotel after a long (4 mile or so) trek through Chintown and back .

Angela suddenly exclaims; "Look - a Tiki guy." My head was facing down, just trudging along and I had almost run into Tiki Bob. THE Tiki Bob... now painted a horrid reddish-brown and standing in front of a vacant building. I was both delighted and saddened that this Icon was smilingly waiting for his buddies to come in and have some drinks... but no one was coming.

(I'll post pics to this thread when I get back to town - my FTP isn't working on this comp.)

THEN - the real magic of SF - behind a simple white door near the sea - the magical Foggy Grotto. Arrrrrrrr, the rums. A better selection I've never seen. The mastery with which our own Martiki concocted and presented the precious fruity elixers resembled the slight of hand of a master illusionist.

These drinks were no illusion though, they were fabulous. Angela and I enjoyed hours of happy conversation with Rebecca and Martiki at The Foggy Grotto and we appreciate them inviting us there.

Wait - I think I may have invited myself - but regardless - it was such a wonderful evening that I even had mercy on their rum supply and left well before midnight.

Tonight - The Tonga Room.

Hey Pablus,
I will keep an eye out for you an Angela at Uke Fest West. Its going to be a pretty busy weekend but I can always find time for a cocktail. Sounds to me like Martiki gave you a nice Bay Area aloha.
Cheers,
Chongolio

M

You're very welcome.

Pablus and Angela were a pleasure to have over. Lots of good story and getting the latest updates on the East Coast Tiki Revival, which is clearly underway at full steam!

You two are welcome back anytime.

(in other words folks: don't believe what you read about pablus! He was a very civilized guest- I think he only drank about two or three quarts of the demerara)

T

On 2004-04-19 10:06, pablus wrote:

First: Empress Bar/Restaurant in Chinatown. Best view of the city from their top floor bar. Not really Tiki - but I did have a drinkable Mai Tai... or 3.

I love the wall of famous celebrity photos on the first floor of the Empress.

Wow, I just realized that I used to live blocks away from the old Foggy, on 8th and Clement. I moved away in 98, so I assume it's newer than that. Are you close to the Abbey?

M

The Foggy Grotto opened in 1999, but you wouldn't see it on the street anyway, since it's a home bar. Although, you would have been invited.

Yep, we're a block from the Abbey. Classic place.

P

Tonga Room.
What an amazingly wonderful atmosphere.

Not the crowded ceilings and walls that we've become accustomed to with our exotica leanings... a true Hawaiian vibe from the music to the tapa covered walls with several large Tikis in perfect place.

The drinks were better than... milk... or carrot juice... or the drippings from a gypsum stack. But we did get the Hurricane glass with the "Tonga" name on the side because we're suckers for that kind of shtuff. The scorpion was foreign. Sweet and much too kind.

The thunderstorms were incredibly cool.
Service - fine and dandy. All we had was one banana dessert for food so I can't rate it.

It was a great evening finished off with a breezy cable car ride down Nob Hill. I love this city. Martiki - I'm thinking about moving in with you for a couple months... could you get some more rum? And some of that delicious artichoke liquer?

Pablus --where are you going next?? mr smiley is back in SF!!

Pages: 1 7 replies