Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cross Country Tiki

Pages: 1 4 replies

About to move across the country from Connecticut to SF and wanted to know if anyone knows of any 'don't miss' spots along Interstate 80. I do own Tiki road trip, but have already packed it!

T

My best advice: get off the Interstate and take the old US Highways (US 30 runs almost intact much of the way near I80). You'll find much more in the way of old motels, coffee shops, neon signs, steak houses, etc. The Interstate is a vast wasteland of chain motels and fast food.

I don't think there are any open tiki bars between the East Coast and Chicago along I80. Likewise, there are none between Chicago and Reno, with the exception of one in Montana (way off the route).

[ Edited by: thejab on 2004-04-19 13:50 ]

8T

If you stay on I-80, I think that you will be passing through Omaha Nebraska. The Mt. Fuji is there but I don't have the details without my book in front of me.

T

I totally agree with Jab- US30 is much more interesting and if you look at a map you will see that it runs paralell to I-80 most of the trip, and it is usually only a mile or two away from I-80 if you need to get back to the interstate to make some time.

Mount Fuji Inn is kind of a dump, all Chinese food (mediocre) upstairs, and a stinky Tiki bar in the basement. For completists only.

But DO check out Aku-Tiki Room in Kewannee, IL (see the review and directions on Tiki Bar Review Pages). It is only open weekends, but is worth the 20-30 min side-trip.

You'll pass the Tiki Truck Stop (don't stop) a few miles before you hit Kewannee.

Iorana!

JT

http://www.tydirium.net
Tiki Bar Review Pages / Tiki Road Trip / Left Orbit Temple

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2004-04-20 14:17 ]

thanks mucho!

Pages: 1 4 replies