Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

U Bastards...

Pages: 1 26 replies

K
Kono posted on Mon, Apr 19, 2004 6:59 PM

A friend of mine bought me a couple of tall tiki shot glasses from Urban Outfitters. They say CHIKI TIKI on the bottom and are pretty cool looking:

I'd never been to an Urban Outfitters so I decided to check out their website to see what else they might have. (I did a search and see that they've been mentioned here for repro tiki mugs several times). It seems that they have the U Bastard mugs that Munktiki imports for sale (online sale only) for $4.99 each. Not my favorite mug but for $5 it's pretty tempting. I thought some of you might want to take advantage of the sale...U Bastards.

D

ooh thanks for that site. yet another reason to sit by the computer with the VISA card.

did you catch the perfect gift for one of our own..

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2004-04-19 19:28 ]

Hey Dogbytes,

My birthday's comming up, so...

K

Here's my Chiki Tiki collection. I picked these up in a souvenir store while vacationing in Sunset Beach, NC last summer.

Thanx for the hot tip on the U Bastards. At $6.50 each (shipping included), we bought 2 of each color. The funny thing is they have the smaller version listed on sale at$9.99 each. Wonder if someone goofed?
Anyway we will be breaking these out at some BambooLodge backyard Luau's this summer.

Thanx Again,
D&C

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge on 2004-04-20 17:11 ]

B

Ok, all I can say is WOW!!! I know the description said 9.5 ", but after parting the sea of packing peanuts, I was amazed at how HUGE they were! I know, not traditional Tiki, but a bargain at $5 each. Thanks for the heads up! But you're right, seems kinda funny the smaller Bastardo is twice as much.

Ordered mine, thanks for the tip Kono.

t-bird

K
Kono posted on Thu, Apr 22, 2004 3:45 PM

You're welcome! Now could somebody tell me why my $175 digital camera can't take a %@#%$! decent &^#@$!ng picture? Look at my pic and then look at Juno's. How much do you have to spend on a digital camera to get a decent pic? (Mine's a JVC GC-A55 1.3 megapixels)

I'd like to find some of those larger Chiki Tiki mugs. The one that's sort of blue and brown/gray/green has a really cool glaze.

That's the sort of tip that should have everyone reaching into their wallets. I can see a fair-few Tiki Centralite bars using these fine mugs as day-to-day cocktail-bearers.

Shame they don't ship outside of North America....

Trader Woody

B

On 2004-04-22 16:07, Trader Woody wrote:

Shame they don't ship outside of North America....

Trader Woody

Hmmm, do I smell a possible trade coming on?

On 2004-04-22 16:56, badmojo wrote:

Hmmm, do I smell a possible trade coming on?

Ha! I wish, but there's little available from the UK that would interest any collector under the age of 120! ( Anyone who wants stuff from the UK, get in touch anyway as I'll do my best to help you out. No charge, of course)

Trader Woody

D

argh

urban outfitters' customer service listened to the sounds of broken ceramic and will be sending out a replacement..

still, pretty damned cool for five buckaroos!

K
Kono posted on Tue, Apr 27, 2004 6:46 PM

[i]On 2004-04-22 17:21, Trader Woody wroteHa! I wish, but there's little available from the UK that would interest any collector under the age of 120! ( Anyone who wants stuff from the UK, get in touch anyway as I'll do my best to help you out. No charge, of course)

Trader Woody

Now that's not true. I think that 90% of all the Trechtikoff prints ever made now reside in the UK. At least it seems that way on ebay. I'd love to get my hands on (a) Madam Wong!

I never did buy any of those U Bastards. I started to but Urban Outfitters S/H policy sucks if you only want two of them like I do ($8.50 S/H up to $75 worth of merchandise). That's probably fair S/H but still it puts the cost up over $9 each and I'd rather go to Hilo Hatties and put that money into some Tiki Farm mugs. Which I did. :)

J
JTD posted on Tue, Apr 27, 2004 7:11 PM

Kono,
Thanks for the "heads up" on this super deal. I just sent one of each "U Bastard" to my best friend. Hope he doesn't take it the wrong way. Ha!

JTD

UJ

I too recieved my mugs.... only to find that the shotty wrapping and clumbsy hands of a govt worker killed both of them. When I sober up in the morning I'm calling them and tell them how it should be shipped. And if recieve more broken ones, I'll tell them where they can ship it next.

oh Lone Star beer, you make me 10ft tall and bullet proof

I thought that for $5, these mugs would be great little gifts to pass out to my friends just for fun. Well, I ordered 16 mugs, yes 16. Today they arrived in the mail and ALL 16 were broken!!! I don't know who the hell packaged these mugs, but they just stacked them all on top of eachother. No foam peanuts, no paper for padding, no nothing! When I picked up the box, it sounded like a million broken pieces and when I opened the box, that is what was in there. I sent UO an e-mail with attached pictures. Hopefully I'll get the mugs in tack the second time around. All I could think of is what a waste!

T

Wow, I guess I got lucky! I ordered 3 of these mugs and they arrived perfect on Thursday. All 3 were shipped in an individual bubble wrap sleeve and a big box full of peanuts. No cracks, chips, nicks to be found. I guess I had the "employee of the month" wrapping my package for shipment! :wink:

Wow, I cant believe UO is such a failure at shipping. We emailed one of the head people about this, even though we are not doing business with them anymore maybe they will look into it.

Sorry everyone for the trouble, wish there was something I could do about it.

-stuckie

H
hramz3 posted on Mon, May 3, 2004 3:40 PM

I wish it wasn't an "online only" sale. I walk by one of their stores all time.

[ Edited by: hramz3 on 2004-05-03 15:41 ]

D

got my replacement Bastard. overkill on the packaging this time. huge box, foam peanuts and ONE carefully bubble wrapped mug.. arrived safely via UPS.

maybe someone in shipping at UO realized they need to do it right, or do it over and over!

my wife called for me this morning and the receptionist mentioned that MANY people have called and complained. Infact they have had so many broken ones she mentioned keeping our instead of sending it back. Now if elmers glue will hold it i may have a art peice to work on.

they are sending out replacements today. them bastards

H
hramz3 posted on Fri, May 7, 2004 3:07 PM

50%.
Ordered 2.
1 broken.
Same as everyone else, loosely wrapped in bubble wrap, both thrown in a box.

N

"I ordered 16 mugs, yes 16. Today they arrived in the mail and ALL 16 were broken!!!"

No wonder they're called U Bastards.

UJ

well, I recieved my replacement shipment of the "them Bastards". Well let's just say the wife is going to call Monday to make sure they properly send the small bastard mug. It was broken as well.

That is the main reason I hate buying mugs off the internet.

Anyone got pics of their broken mugs? Post 'em here!

S
SES posted on Sun, May 30, 2004 10:07 PM

On 2004-05-30 21:42, PolynesianPop wrote:

Hah... You mean you haven't seen enough broken mugs? This request almost seems fetishlike now.
:wink:
How'd the experiment go with the exploding mug?

On 2004-05-30 22:07, susane wrote:

On 2004-05-30 21:42, PolynesianPop wrote:

Hah... You mean you haven't seen enough broken mugs? This request almost seems fetishlike now.
:wink:
How'd the experiment go with the exploding mug?

I can never get enough of the broken mugs. I've haven't tried the exploding mug experiment yet but I will soon. Will keep ya posted...

With pics of course!

Pages: 1 26 replies