Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Billy Mure to play Hukilau 2004

Pages: 1 12 replies

We would like to announce the addition of an incredible entertainer from the world of Exotica - also known as "The Supersonic Guitar Man" - to perform at Hukilau 2004!

http://www.spaceagepop.com/mure.htm

I was on a radio show recently and the DJ mentioned a friend who had seen Mr. Billy Mure perform at a supper club in Florida. I was shocked and asked how I could get in touch with this person. I didn't realize he was an acquaintance - through channels we found Billy's phone number and I called him up and spoke to him about Hukilau. He's 82 years old and still playing 5 nights a week. He is overjoyed that there are fans of his work that want to see him play. He plans to perform a lot of his Hawaiian tunes that he wrote, including my favorite "Pink Hawaii", and some old standards. What an honor it is to have him aboard.

Billy Mure will perform on Friday Sept. 24th at Hukilau 2004 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. If you can't make it to Hukilau you have the chance to see him perform 5 nights a week at the Flagship Marina - River View Restaurant in Sebastian, Florida. He has themed evenings: Tuesday is German music night, Wednesday is Jazz, Thursday in Country and Western and Friday/Saturday they take requests from the audience.

A quote from the back cover of Hawaiian Percussion: "This is not just another percussion album. It is the fabulous Billy Mure at his tiptop best. He has utilized to the utmost the usual percussion instruments, and then has taken off where other have stopped, and used the unusual - wind bells, temple blocks, bamboo logs, trees, and tom-tom drums of all shapes and sizes........He is his own severist critic. He feels Hawaiian Percussion is the best album he has ever made. We agree with Billy Mure."

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2004-04-19 21:06 ]

AWESOME!
I've got quite a few of Mr Mure's lps in my collection. A great addition to the line up!

TG

S

I uploaded a coupe of low-fi songs:

Right Click and Save Target as here
Right Click and Save Target as here

Or just click to play the song.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-04-19 22:54 ]

[ Edited by: swanky on 2004-04-19 23:09 ]

Right on, I like , I like. mmmm can feel the good vibes of Hukilau already.

P

Unbelievable.
That Hawaiian Percussion LP is one of the earliest memories of my pre-teen raiding of my Uncle John's album collection... still the foundation of all of my musical eclecticism.

Uncle John still teaches art in a university setting and will get a tremendous kick out of this news.

(His second son is a vibraphone player for a symphony orchestra... hmmmm... I wonder if he has any Denny albums.)

Kiliki - awesome news.

WHUUUUUUUT? No way.

Goosebumps and shock here. This guy is the real deal.

I still can't believe it...

must...attend...hukilau

Thanks for posting those! soooooo coooooool

Nice find! I found this while looking for his work.

http://www.engine-studios.com/vpp/Haw/P/HAW_JPoi_BMureHawPerc.html

Cheers,

KT

Spoke to Billy again last night and he told me to round up your requests. If you have any let me know - even old standards. I asked that he do some Les Paul if possible.

Also, bring your records for him to sign at Hukilau. He'd be happy to do it!

Far out.... I can't wait to hear this.
I have the first album below. Are the Hukilau organizers gonna record his performance? Might make a cool CD. All of the album images are from http://www.hakushouse.com.
KG

KG

wow! that's a real score! hawaiian moods is one of the best!

Congratulation! Billy Mure - wow! His arrangement and effects and skill are topnotch! I have quite a number of his albums, he was a wild studio wizard already way back in the 50s.

Great addition to the line-up!!!

KK

i can hardly wait for this.....the live music lined up alone is mindblowing!!

Pages: 1 12 replies