Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tonga Room Coconut Mug

Pages: 1 4 replies

I'm not one to spend the money for mugs found at antique malls but recently I came across this one here in Las Vegas and decided $14 was a pretty good price for it, so I splurged. I think it's pretty rare, as most Tonga Room Items seem to be these days. It's a double coconut mug. It has no markings other than that of the Tonga Room. It's very nicely detailed, most likely, an OMC Product. What do you guys think?

[ Edited by: vegastikidude on 2004-04-20 22:43 ]

I don't know anything about mug collecting- but I think that it is a really cool mug!!

DZ

Ahhh... yes. I know this one well. It happens to be the only mug out of my 350+ collection that has broken in my possession. I'd mistakenly set it atop a speaker and was listening to Peter Tosh's "Johnny B. Goode" with the bass up waaaaaaaaay too high and the vibrations (or rather, 'vaibreeyashuhnz') caused it to dance its way off and tumble a good 6 feet to the floor, snapping it right twixt the two halves. The bottom half with the Tonga Room imprint was a total loss, but I salvaged the upper half (with the OMC label still intact - yes, it is indeed an Otagiri) and still have it.

It shows up infrequently enough that I've yet to find a replacement, and I think $14 was a steal. Nice score!

But be careful with it - sturdy as it may seem, it does have a weakness for reggae...

I'd have to say that one is somewhat rare - can I have it?

LOVE that mug! Nice find.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 4 replies