Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cocktail Forum. Shouldn't we have one?

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

Aloooha All!

After searching all of TC for various drink recipes (I just learned how to use the Search feature..haha), it all of a sudden hit me: Why don't we have a "Cocktail Forum". You know, with he "subject" within the "Cocktail Forum" indicating the name of the drink, followed by the actual recipe in the "message body" of the post. Reply posts can follow with variations of the particular drink and/or reviews about how we liked (or disliked) the drink.

Is this something that is so obvious to have, but never done to this day?

Your thoughts, suggestions or insults welcomed.

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-04-21 02:47 ]

I have had several requests for a Cocktails forum here on TC. It seems like a great idea, although I'm always hesitant to open a new forum. What do others think of this?

SCD, are you suggesting it be somewhat like the Locating Tiki forum where there's a standardized Subject line and body, and the posts only consist of known drinks, like a database? Or are you also thinking it would just be a forum for posting Drink questions, recipes, experiences, and other drink-related stuff?

I'd live everyone's opinions on this!

~Hanford

I think it's a great idea, but can't make my mind up whether it would be best as a sort of Tiki Central 'database' of actual cocktails or as a 'rough and tumble' forum of all things cocktail-related. I guess there are pros & cons to both.

Anyway, a cocktail forum of some sort certainly would make Tiki Central easier to navigate and make it a lot easier to find those elusive recipes.

Trader Woody

Great idea for a cocktail section on the forum. It's great to swap and discuss recipes. It's one of the true 'pure' forms of tiki that most of us all agree on.

A cocktail section could include where to find booze shops with great rums or syrups, that would be handy coz i can't find ogreat syrup anywhere.

Great idea of listing the shops where we can find ingredients, AtomicTonyTiki.

On 2004-04-21 03:00, hanford_lemoore wrote:

SCD, are you suggesting it be somewhat like the Locating Tiki forum where there's a standardized Subject line and body, and the posts only consist of known drinks, like a database? Or are you also thinking it would just be a forum for posting Drink questions, recipes, experiences, and other drink-related stuff?

Perhaps a mix of both:

A standardized recipe-style post where the subject line contains an icon. Example:

:drink: Mai Tai

and any random posts that are not recipes, just regular discussions, would have no icon.

just my 2 Z's

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-04-21 06:23 ]

i'm for a cocktails forum. & think that the standardized database approach is probably best - w/ room to still comment on posts (very much like the locating tiki forum).

exxxcellent idea, and for regions/states it would be a good way to sort locations of shops that sell the right rums etc. at the final days of the honolulu we were discussing how elusive some of the good stuff is, and i promised to provide addresses for shops but it would be cool if that were a general resource. j$

S

It's a natural. What makes up our sub-culture?

Collecting Tiki
Creating Tiki
Going to tiki places Locating Tiki
Drinking Tiki
Listening Tiki

So, we need two more forums for those very secific and unique areas. Then we don't have to figure out where that information is in the General Forum.

I say, the more forums, the better. It allows those not interested to skip them, and those interested to actually find what they are looking for.

M

Excellent idea! I've have had extensive coversations with TC'ers just about light rum. I'd love to hear eveyone's two cents and what they prefer. I't seems like a much better way to compare notes on recipes & ingredients.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-04-21 08:06 ]

I

On 2004-04-21 06:44, Johnny Dollar wrote: exxxcellent idea, and for regions/states it would be a good way to sort locations of shops that sell the right rums etc.

Let me second that. For instance, I could ask Mr. Dollar about recommended liquor stores across the rivah in Maryland. (Any good ones in PG?)

On 2004-04-21 08:10, Iolani wrote:

On 2004-04-21 06:44, Johnny Dollar wrote: exxxcellent idea, and for regions/states it would be a good way to sort locations of shops that sell the right rums etc.

Let me second that. For instance, I could ask Mr. Dollar about recommended liquor stores across the rivah in Maryland. (Any good ones in PG?)

hey Io,

haven't spent alot of time in PG, i've logged the most time in DC, Silver Spring/Bethesda/Wheaton and now Baltimore. spoze there are alot of liquor stores near UMD, but i wouldn't necessarily vouch for their having too much top shelf :) where u at exactly? j$

I

Ah, OK, $- I'm in Alexandria. Just a hop across the Wilson Bridge takes me into PG. I saw some liquor stores down in that area when I was looking for Link Wray stuff, but never stopped since they looked dirty! :)

Yes!!! Please make a "Drinking Tiki" forum.
Database, free form forum, whatever.... just a specific place to discuss supplying, mixing, and drinking Tiki Drinks.

-T.J.

No, Too many forums already.

A Cocktail Forum is an excellent idea.
In fact, I'll even drink to it.
Cheers!

I'm all over a drinks section, and have been thinking about this idea quite a bit recently.
I think it would be a fantastic asset to Tiki Central.

When I first saw it mentioned a few months back, I thought it was a great idea. I still do. I would love to see a Drinking Tiki forum.

T

I'm all for a cocktails forum. With the number if messages in TC I think breaking them down in categories is a good idea. If anything it makes searching easier.

Database or free-for-all: I would think a database might be redundant for many of us. Any recipe that's in the Grog Log or Intoxica should not be posted because we already have those drink guides (if you don't then go out and buy them), and it wouldn't be fair to Jeff Berry who put in all the hard work compiling the recipes for little monetary reward. However, I think posting recipes from out-of-print cocktail books is appropriate, and appreciated by those who may not have access to the books.

So, I'm for a cocktail forum in the same free format as the other forums.

Yes to the cocktail forum!

Yes, I'm solidly for creating new forum sections for these topics that get heavy chatter, including Swanky's music section suggestion.

Keep it loosey-goosey -- the topics will still be pretty varied. Even if there were a standard syntax for recipe-specific threads, they're certain to devolve into discussions about other recipes, and then the syntax would be meaningless, and the Baby Ku would cry.

N

A cocktail forum would be cool. I would love to see and make the drinks other TC people made up. I know I've made a few.

V

Will we have a restricted access to this forum for 21 and older ?!!??!!

Atomic,

yeah, I hear you. There are others who think we're getting too many forums already. But Tiki Central gets so much traffic now that I think that people who read it fall into 2 categories:

1. People who check it out every once in a while and cannot read every post

2. People who check it 1 to 5 times a day and try to read (at least the subject line of) every post.

For people of type 1, adding more topics make sense, becuase it makes it easier to find on-topic posts.

For people of type 2, I recently added the View All New Posts Page that displays All new topics from forums in what in a flattened view. This makes the number of forums moot for day-to-day "what's new" browsing. The categorized forums still come into play then when doing more serious researching.

Thoughts? Comments?

~Hanford

On 2004-04-21 16:05, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I think that people who read it fall into 2 categories:

1. People who check it out every once in a while and cannot read every post
  2. People who check it 1 to 5 times a day and try to read (at least the subject line of) every post.

For people of type 2...........

Get A Life!
(That would be me.)

K

Well, the drinks aspect of this whole tiki fetish is really where it's at for me. I'd love to see a forum related to it, but must admit to being a "check in occasionally to certain areas or to search particular subjects" type of poster.

I guess the chatter factor isn't all that important to me as the wealth of easily navigable information factor.

Would the posts from other forums be moved to a new forum upon creation? I know that would be a huge endeavor, but it would be great to see it all in one place.

Hell, if you could compile and print all the cocktail chatter from this place I'd buy a copy. In fact, I'd buy two copies just in case I lost one.

Ahu

This drinking tiki is a great idea, I stop in quite a bit, I like the chatter but the sad fact is I have no idea how to search here even though I'm sure the instructions are not hard to find. I tend to drop in on on a few forums often and others only once in a while, the idea of some form of booze channel on this here TV set would be so cool, All the new drinks I don't know, relating to a group of supportive and active drunks, getting directions to good mixxy stuff, tools, boozes, Juicers (mmmm fresh juices), and bobbles for hanging off the rim. uhhh... I vote for freedom of boozey chatter.

I for one, not much of a talker about drinks. I find it all overwhelming. But I'll listen and I'll drink to it.

Who else has made Reverb's, "The Reverb Crash"?"Tiki Torch"? and
"The Jab's Knockout Punch"?

I'm all for a cocktail free for all! But I do not think that posting recipes that are currently in print, like Beachbum Berry's books is cool. Those are standard issue tiki lifestyle manuals.

Cheers,

KT

S

While you're at it add 2 forums, their small:

Drinking Tiki
Listening Tiki

You could even subdivide Creating Tiki to Making Tiki and Decorating Tiki

On 2004-04-21 21:44, Jungle Trader wrote:
Who else has made Reverb's, "The Reverb Crash"?
"Tiki Torch"? and
"The Jab's Knockout Punch"?

Me! They were great, ESPECIALLY The Reverb Crash!

Would the posts from other forums be moved to a new forum upon creation?

Hopefully everyone will pitch in and use the U-Moderate feature to help get the other great drink topics moved over if we do indeed launch a new forum.

Swanky: As you know I'm a huge Exotica fan, I just want to make sure we have enough music-based posts to commit to a new forum. I'm not saying no; just I'm not sure yet. I need more feedback from everyonr!

J

Yes to a music forum! Recently I've been able to find some great exotica that has alluded my ears for many years thanks to one post in the General Tiki forum. It would be nice to access all that information in one place!

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2005-03-05 20:07 ]

Music and drinks! It's a complete evening!

TG

I believe a separate thread about a music forum is needed in order to get the attention it needs directly and so Hanford doesn't have to filter through this thread for about it.

Just do it!

T

Missed the discussion on the Drinks Thread last night, but still want to vote for it. Some of us experienced bartenders would like to share our skills. Like where can you buy small back scratchers for your Tropical Itches, and How to make a large amount of Missionary Downfalls fast, and What about Mocktails and Virgins.
Okole Maluna
Tikiboy at the
South Seas Saloon

D

I vote for a drinks forum,but it would be fun to have a food AND drinks category. What's a tasty cocktail without some snackies to go with them?

S

Here is the simple, straight-up reason we need both new forums:

If you wanted to find all the Tiki Central knowledge on these major subjects, hwo would you do it? What would you search for to get the threads on falernum and pimento liqueur and rum and ... On the music side, how would you find the Gene Rains and the exotica and the recording tips... You can't. I essentially lost out there without going one page at a time through the huge archive.

Some posts can go away and be gone. Most of the posts on these subjects are pure meat and potatoes and should be around forever.

So... where do we stand on adding a "Drinking Tiki" forum? Does it need to go to a formal vote or something?

Drinking Tiki.... YES
Listening Tiki.... indifferent, but sounds good too.

Just my 7.5 cents.

-T.J.

D

Yes for a Tiki/cocktail forum. I think this would be a great help to anyone. As for the food and music, they go hand in hand with tiki drinks, so yes .

Big yes vote for drinking tiki AND listening tiki forums!

I like the idea of a seperate forum for drinks (food could be posted there, too), and another one for music.
Ran

P.S.- Kon-Hemsby, thanks for the compliment. I'll be trying to bring enough ingridients to the Oasis to make some.

I'll go with Ran on the Eat/Drink Tiki combo, & I'll vote for The Tikis are Listening, too.

i`m in sounds great im looking to trade recipes and am looking for the original navy grog mix recipe can u help me

Drinking forum page good idea! I also like Swanky's idea for a listening tiki page as well. That way everything stays structured, and people visit the forums that interest them. It is an easier way to swap recipes, and point others in the right direction to certain liquor stores, or specialty shops in various areas.

S
SES posted on Thu, Apr 29, 2004 4:56 PM

Tiki Drinks
Tiki Music

YES! I've been wanting those for MONTHS!
Will make this place SO much easier to navigate.

:wink:

Pages: 1 2 54 replies