Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki mugs/linens at B, B and Beyond

Pages: 1 7 replies

My sister bought me a couple of those "Mee Tiki" Shonfelds tiki mug sets with the bar sugar and the drink syrups (I have read on TC that the syrups are awful so don't make a blue tiki tiki as the label recipe calls it) at the Bed Bath and Beyond. These are the same ones that are on sale at Marshall's. The mugs she bought were a scaled down "wooden" moai like the one sold at Trader Dick's but smaller with a darker glaze and a blue green tiki with very simple lines. They are pretty cool for the price. I'm going there to see if they have the Tikis/suffering bastards full of infused oils and crappy drink syrups as well. We used the last of our oil frying cocunut shrimp last night so I'll put some of that infused oil to use and have a new decanter to boot.
There are also some Bed linens, curtains etc. at B.Bath and Beyond with tikis, surfboards and woodies... uh huh huh ...woodies.

K
Kono posted on Wed, Apr 21, 2004 7:33 PM

Damn. This tiki thing's getting out of hand. :wink:

huh huh... woodies... huh huh...

D

I saw this too at BB&Beyond, and meant to post something here. Glad to hear that the syrups are as bad as I thought. The Tikimugs and shot glasses weren't that bad though. Would be nice if BB&B would start carrying Trader Vic's products so I don't have to keep mail ordering them. They do however have the shelves stacked high with TGI-Fridays drink mixes though. What's up with that? Yeesh! TGI-Friday's has got to be one of the skeeviest franchise chain restaurants anywhere. The few times I have been in there I felt like I was sitting in some kinda greasy funk vortex. Who would wanna relive that at home. Yuck.

On 2004-04-21 21:51, donhonyc wrote:
Would be nice if BB&B would start carrying Trader Vic's products so I don't have to keep mail ordering them.

I've been wondering if anyone in NY carries Trader Vic's products. I've been able to buy the rum, but I've never seen the syrups anywhere in the NY area.

I didn't think the print was sufficiently tiki - much more filled with Woody's & surfboards.

The question is: where can you find tiki sheets with a high thread count?

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-04-22 19:46 ]

Tru Dat Christi!! I've got a 100% cotton set I bought a year ago with alternating jungle/ bamboo/ girraffe/ rattan/ and stripe patterns in browns and tans that goes well with my Tiki/ Danish modern room. Once you go 100% cotton u never go back to the horrors of polyester-cotton blends uckkk!!

I used to skateboard pretty seriously for years so I'm kinda poser-wary and since we don't gots no surf here in Idaho I try to minimize any surf-Tiki patterns etc... as I don't want to make a mockery of both myself and the great art of surfing. The whole woody wagon has gotten overused in linens to the point it's as bad as the coca-cola pseudo-retro products people try to pass off as 50's-ish. Yuck!!!!

Well, no suffering bastards and no tiki on linens at the BB and B in Boise. Did pick up the tiki shot glasses/plate/bar sugar though.
Tiki crap is everywhere but unfortunately most of it really is crap. All this plastic garbage trying to cash in...

Pages: 1 7 replies