Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

HUSH PUPPY, BAKERSFIELD, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 3 replies

Name:BAKERSFIELD TIKIS
Type:restaurant
Street:4647 WHITE LANE
City:BAKERSFIELD
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:6618341611

Description:
The bar is UGLY, but the restaurant has TONS of bamboo, hanging beachcomber lamps, and tiki masks on the walls. This is NOT a tiki restaurant in terms of menu, but more of a Southern menu-catfish, crawfish, hush puppies. etc. There is also a location in Las Vegas which I have never checked out. Worth the visit if you are eating dinner in Bakersfield.
I also drove by the Lanai Gardens apartments 3833 (?) Union Street -has a tiki out front

[ Edited by: MRSMILEY on 2004-05-27 16:37 ]

T

mrsmiley - Isn't it called the "Hush Puppy"?

T

The bar is just a sports bar. The restaurant has some nice rooms w/bamboo walls and the main room has a glassed-in garden area. There are no tikis in the garden but there are plenty of hanging lamps, some with colored glass tiki inserts. There are a few masks that may be considered Polynesian in style.

The food isn't anything special. My steak was heavy on the gristle. They have a few tropical drinks on the menu but I didn't try them because I had a long drive ahead of me.

I had hoped to visit on a recent trip to Bakersfield but I ran out of time.

The restaurant has apparently not been called "The Hush Puppy" now for many years. The new name is "Le Corusse Rouge" (The Red Rooster). Although the name has changed, the interior has largely remained the same -- or at least so say the Yelp reviewers.

Here are some photos from the restaurant's MySpace page:

Pages: 1 3 replies