Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Strange devil mug.....Tiki related? Westwood

Pages: 1 7 replies

My father picked this up in a antique store recently. It is a green Devil mug approx 5 inches tall. He is in great shape and has a totally cool face. The bottom is marked
Westwood Noh Mask Handcrafted in Japan

I know it's not "tiki", I was wondering if it was from the tiki family, like the skull mugs, headhunter mugs, etc. Is it something one of a kind? Common? Anyone seen one before?

Thanks for any info.
Erich

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2004-04-23 02:53 ]

T

A 'Noh Mask' is a mask from a Japanese Noh performance - a sort of traditional theatre... so this would be your 'Benihana' originating mug then, I would presume. If you want to 'noh' more about 'noh' just google 'noh' and in 'noh' time you will 'noh' everything there is to 'noh' about 'noh'!

Oo, 'noh' is 'noh' tiki.

I'd say it's an "exotica" mug, like the Benihanas. Is there a "Tiki related scale" from not Tiki, to not tiki but close, up to to Tiki... maybe something like the Scoville Heat scale for peppers? At Zero we'd have Owl & Mushroom pottery pieces, then Middle Eastern/Moorish @ 1, Aztec/South American, Benihanas, Rum Barrels from non-tiki establishments, "Exotica" pieces like this, Giant Tiki Forks & Spoons, Tiki Rum Barrels, Ren Clark heads, and finally real Tiki, working up to the Habaneros of Tikidom like RustBeltCat's Big Find.

Oh hell 'noh' you didn't do that tikifish. That was to funny.

On 2004-04-23 08:54, freddiefreelance wrote:
Is there a "Tiki related scale" from not Tiki, to not tiki but close, up to to Tiki... maybe something like the Scoville Heat scale for peppers?

ah, like TiPSY factor! dr. freddie, that PhD looks good on you! :) j$

Yeah, since it is Westwood, I was wondering if it was Tiki in the sense of Rum Barrels, skulls, headhunters, coconuts, etc.

Either way I'm gonna display it with my tiki mugs...its pretty cool

Thanks for the heads up on Noh...I'll look it up and do some reading

I think these're the Noh masks that that mug's based on. It's sort of a stock demon

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-04-23 11:15 ]

I'm just waiting for Holden to jump in and ask "Where is the Tiki?"

We're waiting...

Pages: 1 7 replies