Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kahili, The Feathered Standard of Hawaiian Royalty

Pages: 1 1 replies

While we were visiting Hawaii I took a buch of pictures of these Kahili. According to the GoHawaii.com Website: "The Kahili, a cylinder of feathers attached to a long pole, was a sacred symbol of Hawaiian royalty. Large Kahili were primarily used during state occasions as an insignia of rank, or occasionally in processions for important personages. Smaller, hand-held Kahili were also royal symbols and were used for the everyday task of fanning the ali'i while they conversed with friends, ate, or slept."

"The handles of the Kahili were constructed of turtle shell, ivory and kauila (a native hardwood). Feathers came from indigenous Hawaiian birds, such as the i'iwi, koa'e and the mamo. But it was the yellow tuft feathers and the white tail feathers of the primarily black 'o'o that were the most treasured for Kahili."

They're kinda cool, elaborate and beautiful. I took these pics at the Bishops Museum and Queen Emmas Summer Palace.

Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely 2007-12-02 19:16 ]

My old girl friend had one of these, and OH God! Do I miss her!
Just kidding Al.
Your tutoring and graphics of Hawaiian Arts has been very special and spiritual.
Thank You!
Unga

Pages: 1 1 replies