Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Carving Found!

Pages: 1 6 replies

Aloha!

I've been keeping quiet about this discovery for a few weeks because I didn't want to jinx it until I had it in my hands.

On Easter Sunday, I was heading over to my uncles' place for brunch when I passed a house that I've passed hundreds of times. The yard has always been filled with statues, yard art, whirly-gigs, etc. and most folks considered it to be an eyesore. Well, on this particular day, I just happened to notice a familiar face among the landscape. I couldn't believe my eyes (that I missed it all of these years) so I turned around and drove past again. Sure enough, a Tiki smiling back at me!

When I got to my uncles', I quickly talked to my mom because as luck would have it, she actually knows the guy. I waited nervously for a few days until she could talk to him (in the past, he was ticked off when people would think his yard art was for sale) Lucky me, he was willing to sell! Best part? He has a few more that he is saving for me (those are the cemented ones I mentioned in another post last week)

Without further ado:

my new friend in his new home.

My dogs' new mortal enemy! as soon as he saw him thru the window, he barked his head off, ran outside and tried to attack it. I guess now our vaccuum cleaner is only 2nd on the pups' "must kill" list.

OK, now a question:
This Tiki was actually carved by the owner. He was a master stone carver in Italy before he moved to the US. In the mid 1980's, he went to Hawaii to learn how to carve Tiki's from an old carver. He said he paid about $1,500 for a week long intense course and then his poles were shipped back stateside. Gecko (or anyone else) do you know who he might be talking about? Do you recognize the style?

Well, that's my story. At least until I go back for the others.

-Z

FZ, no initials or anything engraved into the back or bottom?
Nice score.

Good dog!

C

Awesome find Z!

D

im too jealous for words.
cept: awesome.

Thanks everyone,

one thing I forgot to mention: The owner was so generous, he gave me 2 armfulls of extra stuff including 5 mini carvings (maybe 12" tall) that he was using as models for his Tikis, as well as 3 different fork/spoon sets of various sizes & styles. Funny thing, he's also into carving giant mushrooms (!)

-Z

M

Share the wealth Z!!! Let me know if he's got any more that he'd be willing to let a fellow Michigander get ahold of!!

Matt

On 2004-04-26 07:46, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Thanks everyone,

The owner was so generous, he gave me 2 armfulls of extra stuff including 5 mini carvings (maybe 12" tall) that he was using as models for his Tikis, as well as 3 different fork/spoon sets of various sizes & styles.

As the crown gathered to see, first one, then more, then all began to cry, "MORE PHOTOS! MORE PHOTOS!"

Pages: 1 6 replies