Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Any Info On This Mug?

Pages: 1 21 replies

No markings on it, seems to be a red clay with a brown glaze, about 9" tall.

Bongo, in this case the often wrongly used e-bay description "ceramic vase" seems to be appropriate. Never seen a mug in that shape, not even among the Spanish fleet.

Dang, that is funky! I dig it!

Dang, that is funky! I dig it!

Just a guess, but it might well have come from Trader Vic's Mexican restaurants - Senor Pico's?

Trader Woody

M

Dug through my tiki archives and found some info on this one. The tall vase was originally sold with a wooden holder to stabilize it (see top row in photo below). It appears to have been part of a larger line of products of same style. Notice the facial feature similarities in the tall mug, short mug, teapot, and S&P shakers (see bottom row in photo). As you can see, the tall mug was also used at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona. All these came in a variety of colors. Several items had a decal on the bottom labeled "Tahiji". I assume that is the maker. Personally it doesn't look all that tiki to me...but the label says it's a tiki mug, so it must be. :)

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2004-04-26 12:15 ]

I thought it looked like a beer bong.

Hey Modmana,

I've got those salt & peppers. Glad to finally know what they are. Thanks.

Sabu

TAHIJI!?? ...and I thought I'd seen it all!
Hey, then those must be FIKI mugs!

Thanks Modmana.......I was hoping it was some kind of "tiki" mug as this is only the 3rd mug I have found locally in 8 years of searching. Everything else has been out of our area or on ebay. I agree it is not very tiki, looks like a clown with a big hat.

I have the squat mug with the handle in both a tan and green glaze. It's an incredibly light porcelain and feels very shoddy.

M

Bongofury, it may not look all that tiki but I still like it and I would've been happy to have been the one to find your mug. FYI, the tall 3 vases in my photo above (like yours) sold on eBay for $150 for the most expensive and $80 for the least expensive. I assume you paid less than that. Good score!

A little more info...I've seen other pieces in this style such as an even shorter coffee cup. Also, there is another Japanese manufacturer called Quon Quon who may be related to Tahiji somehow. Many of their mugs feature the exact same handle detail as well as other telling characteristics. OK, that's probably too much information now....my geekiness is showing. :wink:

ModMana :drink:

T

Just to add my geek factor in, this is the same design on one of the vintage hibachis that shows up on ebay from time-to-time. Usually sells for a hefty price.

To geek the lot of ya, is this style of mug possibly related to the Brit-tiki holly grails, mugs used in the "beachcomber" (london).

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki on 2004-04-27 06:46 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-04 06:38 ]

Don't get me wrong......I do like it. Funky Tiki is better than no Tiki.

It looks like a Tiki Beer Yard:

B

On 2004-04-27 05:07, tikigreg wrote:
Just to add my geek factor in, this is the same design on one of the vintage hibachis that shows up on ebay from time-to-time.

The hibachi and patio light in this design can be seen on page 159 of Tiki Quest along with an oil lamp that is similar, but has more of a Tiki quallity.

Some of the mugs appear on page 57, page 10 and that Tahiji label is on page vii of the introduction.

On 2004-04-28 08:33, freddiefreelance wrote:

Arrrr, Kwak - more like a beer foot than a yard, but the stuff makes me smile anyway. There's a pub in the Uk that makes you hand over one of your shoes before they serve you the beer in this contraption so you don't run away with it.

On continental Europe they are more civilised and you can keep your shoes on.

Back to the mug - indeed, that's that Hibachi face! Seems like there are a lot more Tiki Hibachis around than mugs.

Trader Woody

On 2004-04-28 11:40, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2004-04-28 08:33, freddiefreelance wrote:

Arrrr, Kwak - more like a beer foot than a yard, but the stuff makes me smile anyway. There's a pub in the Uk that makes you hand over one of your shoes before they serve you the beer in this contraption so you don't run away with it.

I think its a good trade.

The images had disappeared from previous posts, but I think this is an example of the mug being discussed.

I just bought it off e-Bay. I'd be interested to see variations or the wooden holder that it came with if anyone has them...

TT

Here's another glaze color of the mug. It's on e-Bay right now and has a "Rossini" red and gold foil sticker on the bottom. The sticker has a picture of a winged horse.

Found one with the stand

Pages: 1 21 replies