Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Key magazine L.A. Restaurant Guide-1967-M.Denny

Pages: 1 2 replies

48 pages....Free at Hotels & Restaurants
Week of Nov. 23-30......

I don't remember the Bali Hai near Marina Del Rey. Anyone?

Nice dig, bongofury. There is an album out of Arthur Lyman playing at the "Lattitude 20" (with the other side recorded at the Bali Hai in San Diego), and I have always looked for an ad or poster for that.
The Martin Denny ad is great, too bad that those ads were not done more elaborately back then, I doubt that they even made posters for these kind of restaurant gigs.

I think I have a photo from an article about a very modest Bali Hai on Washington Blvd, but it's at home in my archive.

And Bob Brooks must have retired from the Seven Seas by '67, probably had been in the biz for 30 years by then...

...and I had seen that Tai Ping ad before and always wondered about their logo, never seen it again anywhere, very cool...

Bigbro.......Bob Brooks may have givin it up long before 67. There was an earlier post on the 7 Seas where I posted an old card from "Ray Haller's 7 Seas with the same address. And if I remember right from the movie "Wonderland", about the murders that Nash was aquitted for, the cops were talking about Nash buying the 7 Seas the early 60s.

Would love more info on that Bali Hai.....the floor show looks good. Sabu?

Pages: 1 2 replies