Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Travel to Tonga?

Pages: 1 13 replies

I will be heading to the South Pacific in June and was wondering if anyone out there in Tikiland has any hot tips about this mysterious group of islands. I will be taking my main squeeze Teresa and my 13 year old son Justin (who still doesen't know where he is going for his summer vacation). We will head to Kailua, Oahu to see my homies for a couple days. Then on to Fiji for a stopover and then to Tonga from there where we will stay for a week hosted by a guy named Mike who owns a large vanilla farm there. We'll get a few days in Fiji on the return. I would love to hear from anyone who has been to either Tonga or Fiji so I can get some ideas for tiki visits, or ???. I hear that Tonga is fairly well known for their carvers. I will actually have a chance to meet one of them named Leonardi, whom I purchased a large amount of tikis from recently for the shop. It will be interesting to travel to the same islands my Grandfather went to in the late 30's. He wrote about some incredible finds over there in his book "Polynesian Venture" (Truman Bailey/ Doubleday 1939). I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since then.... or has it??? Anyway I don't find much time to post, but try to check in as often as poss. Hope to get some feedback. Aloha nui loa...

T

Would love to see pictures and hear of the adventures. I have wanted to go myself. I believe that Tonga is a most excellent vacation choice.

Thought I would let you know I came across an article on the Matangi web site that the Royal Tongan Airlines have stopped selling tickets. I hope this does not impact your plans.

http://www.matangitonga.to/

Have safe travel and post lots of pics.

On 2004-04-26 10:54, shakatiki wrote:
. He wrote about some incredible finds over there in his book "Polynesian Venture" (Truman Bailey/ Doubleday 1939).

Wow! I have that book! Now I will have to read it...
Sorry, did not make it to Tonga yet, you should talk to Bob and Leroy at OA. Bob is going on a trip to those parts soon too.

And I am thinking of interupting my German stay and taking my 12 year old son to the Big Island in June, and he doesn't know it yet...

Well they just repossesed the only plane that is was part of their international airline and the King has been involved in a financial scandal regarding an American investor. I hope your flight from Fiji to Tonga is via Air Pacific.

V

Did you know that the Tongan are the heaviest people in the world ?

I heard that it's the last true polynesian paradise in the world with the Samoa.
Still intact, without too much tourism.

By the way, try the Kava, still a remaining tradition and a popular drink.

V

Also, their art is more based on the Kava Bowl and some nice artworks but no Tikis.
Nice tattoo tradition too.
I have some records of Tongan music that are quite good, some polynesian gospel with drums...

one of few monarchies left.
world's only all wood palace!

You might want to read the Tonga section of "The Blue Latitudes."

On 2004-04-27 15:12, Tiki Chris wrote:
one of few monarchies left.

Constitutional monarchies, as opposed to self-imposed.

R

On 2004-04-27 17:51, freddiefreelance wrote:
You might want to read the Tonga section of "The Blue Latitudes."

I did, and after what it said I wouldn't waste my money or time. Apparently it is full of unfriendly natives, has a feudalistic, arogant government, is a home to fraudulant scammers, and has bad tourist services. Save your money for Fiji.

paul theroux visited tongo & wrote about the experience & his meeting w/ the king in the excellent, edgy, hilarious book: happy isles of oceania.

theroux's worth reading whatever the subject.

On 2004-04-27 14:44, virani wrote:

Not since 1995 when..
AUCKLAND, Nov 21 (AFP) - Tonga, famous for its heavyweight king and rugby colossus Jonah Lomu, is trying to wreck its fat reputation by running what is billed as the world's first government sponsored weight slimming contest.

On 2004-04-30 07:54, atomictonytiki wrote:

On 2004-04-27 14:44, virani wrote:

Not since 1995 when..
AUCKLAND, Nov 21 (AFP) - Tonga, famous for its heavyweight king and rugby colossus Jonah Lomu, is trying to wreck its fat reputation by running what is billed as the world's first government sponsored weight slimming contest.

Jonah Lomu's not fat:

Aye, but he's no wee laddie either, i think the term they use is "rugby colossus" definatly skating away from calling him fat, he's one tongan i wouldn't call fat.

Pages: 1 13 replies