Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Ramones documentary ... maybe

Pages: 1 9 replies

S

Story HERE

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-04-26 13:48 ]

Hi Swanky,
Broken link?

S

It works for me. Others getting it?

M

Yeah the link works for me, but I have my free NYTimes registration already. Here's a non-reg. required blurb from it:

http://www.boingboing.net/2004/04/26/the_ramones_document.html

K

Favorite concert memory: My girlfriend passing out cold at a Ramones concert during "I Wanna Be Sedated" in 1983.

D

I read this article in the New York Times yesterday. It sucks that things have got to be this way, but it is an unfortunate reality in the world of creative partnerships. Somebody, especially rock musicians, is bound to get pissed off. I can't make any judements about the Ramones film, I'll just take their word for it. Apparently there isn't 'enough Joey' in it which I find hard to believe, because without him The Ramones could have never existed. I guess we'll see, if and when the film comes out.

The people I feel badly for are the filmmakers themselves. Coming from a film background I know it is no easy task putting a film together. I read in the article that the wife of one of the filmmakers doesn't allow him to talk about the project at home anymore. I'm not surprised. Aside from it being an incredibly tedious process, the financial burdens are overwhelming, and I'm sure these guys are feeling the pinch. Hopefully they'll make their money back down the line.

Coincidentally there is also a controversy surrounding the MC5 documentary. That sucks as well. I actually saw the film and it was pretty damn good. Apparently Wayne Kramer and the other surviving members of the band have a beef with the filmmakers. You can check it out here

http://www.dkt-mc5.com/index.cfm?pg=editorials&SN_id=2

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-04-26 21:27 ]

I

By the way, the MC5 will be touring the U.S. for a month or so, starting in early June.

The lineup will contain original members Wayne Kramer, Dennis Thompson, and Michael Davis, and feature various guest artists such as Marshall Crenshaw and Evan Dando.

Tour dates can be found at .....
http://www.dkt-mc5.com/index.cfm?pg=tour

Kick out the jams,
Vern

T

This sort of crap happens all the time.

When I was on the road with Ministry in 1996, we had a film crew traveling with us, filming constantly.

They got a LOT of funny stuff, great footage, and they were going to do a documentary with it.

When they edited it together, the band hated it. I didn't see it, but according to one csource, the filmmakers made the band look 'worse than Spinal Tap'.

So the documentary was shelved, and six years later a DVD of just live performance footage (without the docu / behind the scenes stuff) was released.

Too bad.

I am sure this was not an isolated incident.

S

Well, at the current rate, there won't be any Ramones left soon and maybe their heirs will be more interested in signing off on this thing and we'll get to see it.

Then there is that film Copola did in the 70's that he has been editing and working on ever since and never released. One day we'll see his masterpiece, but probably not while he is alive.

On 2004-04-26 18:46, ikitnrev wrote:
By the way, the MC5 will be touring the U.S. for a month or so, starting in early JThe lineup will contain original members Wayne Kramer, Dennis Thompson, and Michael Davis

Vern - Hopefully the tour's kick off is at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit. It's hard to imagine the MC5 without Fred "sonic" Smith or Rob Tyner, but who knows.

Pages: 1 9 replies