Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bill Tapia Album review

Pages: 1 5 replies

TM1

"ARTIST: BILL TAPIA

ALBUM: TROPICAL SWING

In an era of manufactured and quickly forgotten pop acts, a debut solo album from a 96-year-old man is quite a surprise. And Hawaiian guitar/ukulele legend Bill Tapia's "Tropical Swing" is as delightful as it is surprising. A member of Hawaii's first-ever jazz combo, Tapia's 86-year career includes jams with long-gone pioneers of American music, including Louis Armstrong (news), Billie Holiday (news) and Fats Waller. On this solo debut offering -- every bit as smooth and mellow as one might expect -- Tapia takes his rightful place alongside those greats. He retains a sharp improvisational skill and capable instrumental ability, offering breezy, laid-back renditions of such standards as "Stardust" and "Mack the Knife." Also included are two 1936 recordings: the title track and "Stars and Stripes Forever." Racked by the Mountain Apple Co. in Honolulu. "

On 2004-04-26 17:22, tiki mick wrote:
"ARTIST: BILL TAPIA

ALBUM: TROPICAL SWING

In an era of manufactured and quickly forgotten pop acts, a debut solo album from a 96-year-old man is quite a surprise. And Hawaiian guitar/ukulele legend Bill Tapia's "Tropical Swing" is as delightful as it is surprising. A member of Hawaii's first-ever jazz combo, Tapia's 86-year career includes jams with long-gone pioneers of American music, including Louis Armstrong (news), Billie Holiday (news) and Fats Waller. On this solo debut offering -- every bit as smooth and mellow as one might expect -- Tapia takes his rightful place alongside those greats. He retains a sharp improvisational skill and capable instrumental ability, offering breezy, laid-back renditions of such standards as "Stardust" and "Mack the Knife." Also included are two 1936 recordings: the title track and "Stars and Stripes Forever." Racked by the Mountain Apple Co. in Honolulu. "

Mick,

Did you really write this? If not, cite your sources!

There was an article last week in the O.C. Register(.com for you out of the area) (Thurs. or Fri) on Bill Tapia. King Kook even got a quote. They were road trippin' up to the Uke fest in his souped up PT Cruzer. Good stuff!

No, of course I did not write it...that's why I put quotation marks around it..I pasted it from an on-line article.

I'm just being an a-hole so no one thinks we're one in the same bruddah Mick!

We are as different as they come, but as similar as they went!

Pages: 1 5 replies