Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anyone wanna read a book??

Pages: 1 2 70 replies

Do to my new "learning how to post pictures" mind set, I was wondering if any of you out there in Tiki Central land, would like to read "How Daddy Became a Beachcomber."? (you know, the story my Aunt wrote about my Grandfather, Eli Hedley)If it's cool with Hanford, I can post a pic o the book (in page order) when time permits ( might make me get a little more serious, but......)(Maybe like a chapter a week on a certain day (if possible when in town). Let me know what you's think. )

p.s. I can do it "Pulp Fiction/ Q.T." style and post the last first..............

Well it's up to the members of TC at to whether or not this belongs in the Main Forum or in Beyond (use U-Moderate, you all) but I'd just like to recommend you posting just the links to the pages rather than using the [img] tags. This will make the pages load faster for people on modems. As the number of pages increases speed could be a problem; and people are only going to be interested in loading/reading the new pages. using links without the [img] tags mean that people can just click on the link to see it and read it.

~Hanford

PS I can't read the text in the photo, it's too small.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-04-27 03:29 ]

B

Benzo, I would love to read the book. A page at a time, chapter at a time, hell post the whole darn thing. I'm still waiting for Your own book.

His book is called
Doing it BenZ way
OR
How the fuck do I get the S out of Bens
OR
Can't people read my sign, AAAAAAAAAARRRGGG
OR
Beer makes you smart, it made Bud Wiser
OR
????????????????????????
PS. I can't read the text either
PSS. Sorry about thread theft

How Daddy Became a Beachcomber.....
Alcohol?

I would like to read it.

Sounds Groovy! How many pages we talkin' 'bout here, Ben?

I wanna read da book. To make it easier for the Reverend Bamboo isn't there some web site or other called the Guttenburg project where people type in the text of books, so all can read them for free?
If anyone knows about that, maybe Ben's beachcomber book could be published there with a link from TC.
Generous offer Ben.
KG

there's a program called TextBridge that lets you scan a page of text at high res (like 400 dpi i think) and it will OCR it (optical character recognition) and convert the scan into ascii text that you could cut and paste into a post. if you were doing it a page a day, it would not be too much trouble. you might even be able to find a freeware OCR program. jest mah two bamboo shoots. j$

p.s. arrrrrr

K

I want to read it too! I've read several of the project Guttenberg books, but that's a lot of typing for Ben. If someone could scan and OCR it locally for you Ben I'd help contribute to the cost. You could put it on your fabulous website!!!!

Kanaka

Hmmmmmmmmmm... I dunno. A website that fine you don't want to screw up with too much complicity, do ya?

I've already read it. A good read. I wish life were that simple around Palos Verdes today.

Cheers,

KT

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-04-30 23:49 ]

Hot damn! I'd read it! (only if Pedro is mentioned on every page, tho...:))

I know it's not true, but when I was a kid and my parents talked about "beachcombing" I always imagined someone "combing" the sand with one of those flimsy black plastic combs.

Hey you guys are cooked! Chilling out on the shores of PV is very very cool! I have had many a BBQ there, and I can not imagine a better place on the mainland to be tiki.

KT

T

Ok Ben I wanna read it! Man I tried about everyway possible to find this book I think and no luck.

Does the book have any copyright info, or isbn numbers? Just curious trying to find a copy too.

UT

I would definitely read it.

Thought this post was history. I gave PolyPop (ylop) a zerox copy of the book a while back. Not sure what he did with it but maybe if he still has it, he can mail it to one of you then when your done, you can mail it to the next person, etc. etc. etc. Maybe PM him and find out where it's at? (Can there still be an honor system in these times?)

T

I think there can be Rev, I know as much as it would mean to me to be able to read it I think that many others feel the same and for the couple of bucks it would cost to ship to each other that it should not be a problem, but then again I am naive at times.

I heard P-pop has been putting the copies in bottles and throwing them out to sea. Last week they found a few pages in the belly of a Great White they caught up near Stinson Beach. I am hoping a few pages wash up here in the Monterey Bay.

Chongolio

On 2004-09-04 11:55, Chongolio wrote:
I heard P-pop has been putting the copies in bottles and throwing them out to sea. Last week they found a few pages in the belly of a Great White they caught up near Stinson Beach. I am hoping a few pages wash up here in the Monterey Bay.

Chongolio

TRUE, TRUE

I hope that's not BambooBen

MB
Mrs. B posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2004 7:03 PM

Me too! :lol:

Do you have an extra copy anywhere? I could go to Kinko's and make copies. Sounds like an interesting read, is it good?

ben, if you can get someone to type the stuff into microsoft word or similar program - i'll program the html pages and post it for you on your bamboobens.com website.

Poly Pop (happy b-day) has a copy (zerox) and is going to mail it to one of you. Read it, sign it ( if you want to, put your thoughts down on a seperate piece of paper and add it to the back) and send it to the next person and so on, etc. Would be cool to see how many of you read it and where it go's and your thoughts, within a year. I told my Aunt who wrote it and she is stoked. My Mom is the Elf, the youngest. She had a pet pelican when she was growing up at the Cove. No joke! All 4 sisters own the copyright now. This copy, was shuffled between a couple of Hollywood writers a year or so ago. Back in the day, Raymond Burr (a good family friend) was going to be Daddy for a show but Ironside came up. He and Eli almost started a Carving Biz. together on his island. My Aunt who wrote it used to do USO tours with him too. Remember, the book is a true story. To be able to be that free must have been golden!

REv, I have a print shop and I can make some copies. HOw many pages is it? You say the sisters own the rights to the story. I have friends in high places, maybe they are interested.

OK -- I've got the book ready to go. First one to email their address to me at [email protected] gets it. Remember to remove the NOSPAM.

BTW - I am NOT making copies of this book. I do not own the copyright.

OK -- DawnTiki was the first one to email me! The book is going to her next.

So when Dawntiki is done with it is she going to post that is available or is a list starting now?

Chongolio

D

I like the "whoever emails me first when I'm done" deal...but I'll play however Ben wants me too. I can't wait to read it!!! Thanks :D

I too think the first email when done is the path of least hassles. Although that plan knocks me out of a for sure next in line, I am cool with it. Ben, you got to get more copies made!

Chongolio

Hey! Sugar Caddy Daddy has the other zerox copy (via the one I gave to Holden). So, when he gets done reading it maybe he can send it on it's way too. You's know the drill.

B

Whoever has it whenever thay have it let me know 'cause I want to read it too.

Yup, same goes here. Let me know, because it's a must read on my list.

After reading this thread, I rushed to my local public library and believe it or not .... they had this book. It is a great read and gives you something to strive for .. a much simpler, relaxed life.

Rev, your Aunt and all her family were very lucky indeed!!!

On 2004-09-20 09:46, tikimitch wrote:
After reading this thread, I rushed to my local public library and believe it or not .... they had this book. It is a great read and gives you something to strive for .. a much simpler, relaxed life.

The next question is, how bad is the library fine there? :wink:

On 2004-09-20 09:46, tikimitch wrote:

Two copies of the book are in the San Diego Central Library, down in Storage. San Diego residents can request the book be sent to their closest library branch, others can request it via Interlibrary loan. I'm not certain about Interlibrary loan of these copies outside of San Diego County, most libraries charge a $1 to $20 fee to find & transfer the books & they'll find the closest copies. Some libraries will have Xerox copies made for you, but they'll cost almost as much as a copy of the book (unless the book's really rare), and they'll be be unbound.

On 2004-09-16 14:15, Benzart wrote:
Whoever has it whenever thay have it let me know 'cause I want to read it too.

Ben, as an example of Interlibrary loan, here's St. Lucie County Library's policy:

Title: Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Policy
Memo: The Library System may attempt to borrow books and copies of magazine articles which we do not own from other libraries. Allow two weeks for this service. Lending libraries outside of Florida sometimes charge a fee. We are alerted of this condition in advance so that we may contact you and allow you to decide if the transaction is worth the cost to you: usually $10.00 to $20.00. This service is available to our registered patrons. Request forms are available at the Reference and Circulation Desks, and there is a 20-cent request fee. A client may have up to 3 (three) requests pending at a time.
Memo: Magazine/journal article requests must include full citation. These are provided at no additional charge within Florida. Libraries outside of Florida sometimes charge a fee and we are not alerted in advance. The State Library of Florida cannot accept a magazine/journal article request for outside referral unless the client is willing to commit to a potential maximum cost of $10.00 per article in advance.
Memo: Videos and other media may not be procured through this service. Our access to media loan is limited to the State Library of Florida collection. Catalogs are available at all sites.
Memo: Each interlibrary loan item is accompanied by an assigned due date. Lateness more than once will result in permanent suspension of interlibrary loan borrowing privileges. Extreme lateness the first time will also result in permanent suspension of privileges as we must account to the lending libraries and do not wish to lose our privileges with them. Renewals may be requested on an item unless the due date slip inside clearly states "No Renewal". Requests should be made three days prior to given due date to allow time to contact the lending library and await a reply. Renewals will not be requested for or granted on overdue interlibrary loans. National policy on interlibrary loan prohibits requesting a circulating copy of a title if our Library System owns a Reference copy.

There's no copy of the book in the County system, but for 20 cents they'll find the closest copy & have it shipped to the Port St. Lucie branch. It looks like it's free if they find it in Florida, and if it costs to ship the copy they find they'll ask you if you want to pay that before continuing. One bad thing is that if they find a reference copy in the state & a circulating copy outside of the state, you get the reference copy. I didn't find their policy on Xeroxing reference books, but I do like their policy of loaning Framed Art Prints for 8 weeks with one renewal allowed! Maybe you could convince them to buy some Flounder prints...

DawnTiki,
Did you get the book from Pop?
Do you know who has the book now?
I need to read this book. :)
Thanks

B

Unga, I need to read this book too. After you may I be next???
Hopefully it is getting close.

Where's the book?
I want to read it too.

Unga, this book left Dawntiki sometime last year and made its way thru several more people....

UB

On 2005-03-09 07:03, PolynesianPop wrote:
Unga, this book left Dawntiki sometime last year and made its way thru several more people....

Thanks Pop,
Come on, here’s you’re Tiki Central Confessional.
Someone say your "Hail Tikis", and fork over the book.

V
virani posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 9:59 AM

I had it : it went then to Vintage girl - then Atomic cocktail - then Alnshelly from what I heard

P
pablus posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2005 2:56 PM

Someone should send it to Humuhumu, as she types 6430 words per minute and could have it on the web in the time it takes to mix a fresh Mai Tai.

Or, just put me on the waiting list after whoever and PM me when you're finished reading it.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2005-03-09 14:57 ]

Well Ben,
It looks like this book is history.
I can't find a single bit of info on the net about it. Do you remember the name of the author and publisher?
I can't read the photo info. If I find it, I will buy it and submit it to the TC reading pool.

Pages: 1 2 70 replies