Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What to do with a couple hours in Phoenix?

Pages: 1 13 replies

My fellow TCers have been so good with advice that I come to them again. I'll probably be going to Phoenix this week for a day on various bits of business and may have a little time to look around. Of the following locations, culled from the Tiki Bar Review pages and Tiki Road Trip, which would you recommend for photo stops:

Cocomo Joe's, Scottsdale/Cave Creek
Drift South Pacific Fusion, Scottsdale, AZ
Sunset Steakhouse & Tiki Lounge, Coolidge
Tiki Hut, Scottsdale
Tiki Lounge, Coolidge

I have a pretty good idea of whats at the Drift and Cocomo Joes from previous posts, but can't find much on Tiki Hut, Tiki Lounge and Sunset Steakhouse in the limited computer time I have.

Time will be too limited for food or drink to be an option, so neat looking tikis or architecture are the only consideration.

I saw the Bikini Lounge and the Aloha Motel last year, and may return for more pics. Too bad Scottsdale's Trader Vics is yet to be.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-04-27 04:26 ]

I dunno, whenever I was in the land of THE PHOENIX! I always thought a special time was had with a 40 oz'r behind "Bob's Liquor" at 5th and Warren...

I don't believe the tiki hut exists anymore, and I haven't been able to find anything on the two in Coolidge, so I'm not sure if they are around either.

I just reread your post and saw that you're only interested in Architecture. I would go to The Drift.

[ Edited by: vwtikigirl on 2004-04-27 13:23 ]

Here's some I found in Yahoo Yellow Pages:

• Tiki Tai Village, 5745 W Maryland Ave # 39 Glendale, AZ
  • Kon Tiki Mobile Home Village, 555 W Warner Rd. Chandler, AZ
  • Cocoanut Grove Motor Hotel, 2012 W Van Buren St. Phoenix, AZ
  • Coconut Grove Apartments, 2028 W Indian School Rd. Phoenix, AZ

And a couple of links to pictures of the Drift: http://www.threatlab.com/gallery/PhoenixAZ03/aaq?full=1
http://www.threatlab.com/gallery/PhoenixAZ03/aap?full=1

Hmmm, Thanks Freddiefreelance; pertaining to the Phoenix area, has anyone actually seen:

Hawaiian Gardens apartments, Phoenix

Peoria Polynesian Village Trailer Park, Peoria

Sands West apartments, Phoenix

Tiki Tai Village, 5745 W Maryland Ave # 39 Glendale

Kon Tiki Mobile Home Village, 555 W Warner Rd. Chandler

Coconut Grove Motor Hotel, 2012 W Van Buren St. Phoenix

Coconut Grove Apartments, 2028 W Indian School Rd. Phoenix

The Phoenix part of my trip got attrited in favor of other destinations, but I did happen to drive by Coconut Grove Apartments, 2028 W Indian School Rd; it is an uninteresting apartment block.

Is there anything new and tiki in Phoenix this year? I'll be there later this month. Thanks!

Has anybody actually been to the Kon Tiki Mobile Home Village? Please, do tell. I am researhing what ever is left of the Kon Tiki-name in CA, NV and AZ.

No reason to pull up a new topic, is there? So, I'll be down there in the next couple of weeks. Hula's Modern Tiki, TV Scottsdale, and probably Kon Tiki Tucson are must-do's. I'm not going to go driving around looking for closed motels or trailer parks, but what I would like to know is where good places to buy liquor are. I'd like to pick up a few things that you simply cannot get here. Anyone got the inside scoop? What about good thrifting/antiquing spots? Any tips at all would be great!

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2010-09-27 00:12 ]

If you get a hankerin' to take a break from the rum, one of the greatest beer bars on the planet can be found at Papago Brewing at McDowell and Scottsdale Rds in Scottsdale.
32 constantly rotating taps, hundreds of beers in the cooler... really rare stuff, too.

Thanks for the good info! There's probably a dozen liqueurs or spirits I'm looking for that aren't distributed here. Plus, booze is soooo much cheaper there! And I understand about the thrifts. We may sound generous, but we're really a cutthroat bunch of thrifters up here!

Is Trader Vics in Scottsdale gone? I haven't been out there in a couple of years, but they had just opened and had a wonderful back patio! If it's still there I would definately go. Firepits, cool modern seating, water features and tiki. Great spot to hang out.

I was at the Scottsdale TV's in Oct.
seemed to be running just fine.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 13 replies