Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tikiwahine & her Kane in Oahu June 29 -July 6

Pages: 1 18 replies

Aloha!
I'll be arriving in Honolulu on the 29th and have to plan the details. My fiancé is in the Canadian Navy(not your typical navy guy though) and will have a few days off while docked at Pearl Harbor.

I hear the Hawaiiana Hotel is a neat place(thanks Jab), so I'd like to sleep there the first and last nights of my stay.

Every other night is open to who knows what! I'd like to spend a day on Oahu exploring the Polynesian Cultural Center, the Bishop Museum and will definitely not miss the La Mariana Sailing Club.
Do you think this can be done in a day?
Does a car rental make sense?
Should we spend the other days on the big island?
If we rent a car, can we take it on a ferry elsewhere?(I live on a big island myself, so ferries are a way of life for me)
Should we wait and rent a car on the big island and just use transit on Oahu? (might make it hard to get to La Mariana)

I'm big into flora & fauna, so I'd love to stay/explore somewhere that has neat gardens.

So many questions!

I'd love to hook up with some TC people, and Gecko, I'd love to bring one of your carvings home. (maybe a mask?)

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. I have read many threads concerning travel tips, and appreciate each and every one!

Mahalo!!

T

*On 2004-04-27 16:22, Tikiwahine wrote:*I'd like to spend a day on Oahu exploring the Polynesian Cultural Center, the Bishop Museum and will definitely not miss the La Mariana Sailing Club.
Do you think this can be done in a day?

No. I would spend one whole day seeing the PCC (including the fairly long drive up there), and don't miss the night show. The luau can be skipped if you're trying not to spend too much.

Another full day exploring the museum and Honolulu. We spent a whole day exploring Waikiki beach, but you could just walk along the beach at night when it's the most romantic.

Try and visit La Mariana after the museum, preferably on a Friday night for the entertainment.

That would be 2 full days minimum.

Does a car rental make sense?

Yes. There are buses to the PCC, and you could take a cab to La Mariana, but it may be expensive. Then you have to get to and from the airport.

Should we spend the other days on the big island?

Big yes! I spent 2 weeks there and loved it.

If we rent a car, can we take it on a ferry elsewhere?

I don't know, as I flew from Oahu to Hawai'i.

Should we wait and rent a car on the big island and just use transit on Oahu?

A rental car is a necessity on Hawai'i if you want to get away from your hotel. Car rentals are pretty cheap in Hawai'i and Oahu and sometimes they're included in package deals.

I'm big into flora & fauna, so I'd love to stay/explore somewhere that has neat gardens.

The leeward side of the Big Island (Hilo) is very lush, while the windward side (Kona) is more dry with sparser vegetation. There are some beautiful gardens around Hilo.

I would stay at least a week on the Big Island. Spend a day in Kona, a day in Kilauea, stopping at Pu'uhonua o Honaunau Nat'l. Park on the way, a day in Hilo, and a day driving up the Kohala Coast (stopping at Puukohola Heiau and the petroglyphs near one of the large hotels) to the Pololu Valley on the North end of the Island. Allowing for days at the beach, a week seems to short to see it all.

right click- print!
Thanks! I will refer to your info while planning. I wish I had more than 7 full days, but that just means I'll have to come back another time!
:drink:
-TW

On 2004-04-27 16:22, Tikiwahine wrote:
Aloha!

Mahalo!!

The Foster Botanical Gardens, is a 14 acre garden located in downtown Honolulu, which would be very conveniently located.

Maybe on your way to the PCC, you may wish to stop at the Waimea Valley Audubon Center which contains 36 major botanical collections situated in a narrow valley extending from sea level to 1,000 feet.

There is also the Dole garden maze along the same highway.

T

"Maybe on your way to the PCC, you may wish to stop at the Waimea Valley Audubon Center which contains 36 major botanical collections situated in a narrow valley extending from sea level to 1,000 feet"

Yes, I can highly recommend the Waimea Falls Arboretum. My grandfather cultivated hibiscus and has a section dedicated to him, Ross H. Gast, at Waimea Falls. If you have the love of flowers, I would go.

Little known fact, my grandfather invented the twist-um. You know, that handy little thing you use at the produce section of the grocery store. I digress.....

Have a great time in Hawaii! Are you taking the road to Hana? ha

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2004-04-27 19:55 ]

we were on oahu in november ~ my advice: rent a car, they're cheap, and you can get around MUCH better, no waiting for busses..

i was looking at our trip notes, mostly we ate.. and ate..and ate.. i'll email you our recommendations.

another don't miss is the swap meet at the Aloha Stadium (thats where we met Gecko!) you'll get THE best deals on souvineers there.

we did a luau, based on our friends' recommendation (they lived on oahu) Germaine’s Luau entertaining. decent food. crummy drinks.

when you sign up for the Polynesian Cultural Center, go for the cheapest dinner package. the food's not very good, ok. its damned icky. but after a long day, you'll be hungry. (however is you need a java jolt, sorry, its run by Mormans, so the coffee and sodas are all caffeine free!) .but you'll want to stay for the evening show..its pretty damned impressive a LOT OF FIRE

you can get pricy vintage shirts at Bailey’s Antiques and Aloha Shirts or.. do as we did, go to the Goodwill near the Pearl Harbor Tour.. there were TONS of shirts there, for 4 bucks.

if you'd like, i can lend you my "Okazu Guide" "Puka Guide" and "Day Hikes on Oahu"

elicia

Hi Tikiwahine!
Would you do us the favor of participating in our very first Tiki Central Webcam Crawl?
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8789&forum=1&5
Just Wonderin,
Unga

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 28, 2004 1:10 AM

I would love to meet you Tiki Wahine! Thats if you have time! Sounds like your going to be VERY busy! I don't think you'll be able to go see all 3 places in one day. The PCC usually last all day if you get the evening luau. Give me a call if you want to hook up. I'll pm you my #.

Aloha

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 12:57 ]

On 2004-04-27 19:27, christiki295 wrote:
The Foster Botanical Gardens, is a 14 acre garden located in downtown Honolulu, which would be very conveniently located.

Maybe on your way to the PCC, you may wish to stop at the Waimea Valley Audubon Center which contains 36 major botanical collections situated in a narrow valley extending from sea level to 1,000 feet.

There is also the Dole garden maze along the same highway.

That sounds right up my alley!
Thank you Christiki, I'm going to put the addresses in Mapquest so I don't miss them.
Mahalo!
-Tikiwahine

On 2004-04-27 19:54, tikichic wrote:
Yes, I can highly recommend the Waimea Falls Arboretum. My grandfather cultivated hibiscus and has a section dedicated to him, Ross H. Gast, at Waimea Falls. If you have the love of flowers, I would go.

Little known fact, my grandfather invented the twist-um. You know, that handy little thing you use at the produce section of the grocery store. I digress.....

Have a great time in Hawaii! Are you taking the road to Hana? ha

COOOL!! Sounds beautiful, you bet I'll be checking that out!! Hibiscus is something I've always wanted to grow. Here we have zone 9 conditions, so I believe it's possible!

Aloha, Gang! Don't forget, we have a whole thread about Hawaiian Vacation tips... and here it is:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=216&forum=1

You've all posted some great info in this thread and it sure would be super if you'd copy it into the "Hawaiian Vacation Tips" thread for easy streamlined use of future searchers. Mahalo to you all.

-Weird Unc the Hawaiian Tipster

On 2004-04-27 22:18, dogbytes wrote:
we were on oahu in november ~ my advice: rent a car, they're cheap, and you can get around MUCH better, no waiting for busses..

i was looking at our trip notes, mostly we ate.. and ate..and ate.. i'll email you our recommendations.

another don't miss is the swap meet at the Aloha Stadium (thats where we met Gecko!) you'll get THE best deals on souvineers there.

we did a luau, based on our friends' recommendation (they lived on oahu) Germaine’s Luau entertaining. decent food. crummy drinks.

when you sign up for the Polynesian Cultural Center, go for the cheapest dinner package. the food's not very good, ok. its damned icky. but after a long day, you'll be hungry. (however is you need a java jolt, sorry, its run by Mormans, so the coffee and sodas are all caffeine free!) .but you'll want to stay for the evening show..its pretty damned impressive a LOT OF FIRE

you can get pricy vintage shirts at Bailey’s Antiques and Aloha Shirts or.. do as we did, go to the Goodwill near the Pearl Harbor Tour.. there were TONS of shirts there, for 4 bucks.

if you'd like, i can lend you my "Okazu Guide" "Puka Guide" and "Day Hikes on Oahu"

elicia

Hi Elicia!
I appreciate your tips soooo much. I think we'll rent a car on Oahu for sure. I love swap meets! Even if all the old tiki stuff is gone :wink: I've got to bring some souvenirs home with me.

I'm going to try to limit myself on the aloha shirts I bring with me, to save room for new ones!! Well, I'll definitely checkout that goodwill you mentioned, the old ones always seem to be so much cooler.

We'll have to make a stop SOMEWHERE that has coffee, Jeff's a java freak so he's planning on bringing some home. That evening show at the PCC sounds cool, fire! fire! fire!

I'll check out the local library for travel guides, if I come up empty handed I may take you up on your lending offer, it looks like this board has some very knowledgeable people to help me out! :)
-TW

On 2004-04-27 22:18, dogbytes wrote:

Sounds great! Why not share your recommendations with the rest of us here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=216&forum=1

There's plenty of eating tips there and more would be much appreciated! Mahalo, dogbytes.

-Weird Unc who loves to eat in Hawaii

On 2004-04-27 22:29, Unga Bunga wrote:
Hi Tikiwahine!
Would you do us the favor of participating in our very first Tiki Central Webcam Crawl?
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8789&forum=1&5
Just Wonderin,
Unga

Hiya Unga Bunga!
We will definitely make an effort to plaster our cheezy grins all over the web cam, I think that's a really cool idea! If I'm able to I'll post the date and time we plan on being there. Thanks for letting me know about it!
-Tikiwahine :)

On 2004-04-28 01:10, GECKO wrote:
I would love to meet you Tiki Wahine! Thats if you have time! Sounds like your going to be VERY busy! I don't think you'll be able to go see all 3 places in one day. The PCC usually last all day if you get the evening luau. Give me a call if you want to hook up. I'll pm you my #.

Aloha

Hi Gecko! I think we'll have to spend a few days on Oahu, I don't want to rush myself too much! I made that mistake when in Washington DC, I'd rather visit 3 things in 3 days than try to do it all at once.

I'd love to meet up, it's silly that I have to leave the continent before meeting fellow TC members, but I'm not complaining!! :)

On 2004-04-28 01:23, filslash wrote:
aloha,

I'm usuallly good for some thrift shopin'...n' stuff! Lotsa visitors... Island thin since Tiki_bong and Alnshely hit town...a week apart.

fil/, sounds good, I didn't know you were on Oahu too!
I'll try not to thin the pickings out any more :wink: Gotta leave room for an original GECKO anyways!

A

The Hawaiiana Hotel is way cool. I took these pictures in April. Once we stayed next door at the Breakers and it was a retro cool experience too.

The Breakers is fun too.
Mahalo,
Al

COOOOOL! Thank you for the pictures! What a neat place.

I can't wait to sleep with the tikis right outside my window!

Mahalo,

Pages: 1 18 replies