Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Help Me Find "One Way Wahine"

Pages: 1 19 replies

I am trying to find a video copy of the 1965 beach party movie "One Way Wahine" . This movie is not available commercially so I am hoping someone out there has a copy or can direct me to someone that does. Filmed in Hawaii with Anthony Eisley (Hawaiian Eye). I recently acquired a collection of posters and lobby cards from this movie. One poster shows a beach party scene with a large Tiki that looks very similar to the 6' Oceanic Arts Tiki we got last year from a person that told us it was in a 60s surf movie, but did not know which one. I will try to post some images soon. Mahalos

Bongofury

M

I know this is no help to you, but I found a poster for that movie about a year ago and it's fantastic. Gotta get it framed.

G

speaking of videos Bongo, did you get da one with Mr. Denny and Mr. Lymann playing in da backround of that movie you're talking about? I would love to get a copy to take over to Mr. Dennys to play it for him at his house. I know he dosen't have a copy. Does anyone here have it? whats da name of that movie again Mr. Fury?

The first 2 images are from lobby cards

The next 2 are from the Half-Sheet poster

Do you think this looks similar to the one in the poster?

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-04-30 21:31 ]

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-04-30 21:33 ]

Martiki......did you get the one-sheet, half sheet, or the insert? Each one has a little different art. There were 7 lobby cards in the set I got, Just posted the best images.

Gecko.....would love for Mr. Denny to see that movie (he has some dialog)......"Forbidden Island". Will make a new post when I get the video.

Great find!
I always loved the title of this one, a close second to the Gardner McKay vehicle entitled "I Sailed To Tahiti With An All Girl Crew".

That Tiki might very well be an Oceanic Arts carving.

For rare unpublished videos, try Eddie Brandt's Video, on Vineland in North Hollywood.

B

Thanks Bigbro......Eddie Brandt's is usually the first place I try......they don't have that movie (or many of the 60s surf movies, though they did have a couple no one had). My web searches have also come up empty. The tiki in the poster is a little different than the OA tiki I have, so I was wondering if there were more tikis in the movie. Will keep looking.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-05-01 10:50 ]

M

On 2004-04-30 22:01, bongofury wrote:
Martiki......did you get the one-sheet, half sheet, or the insert? Each one has a little different art. There were 7 lobby cards in the set I got, Just posted the best images.

Not sure what it is, bongo- it's 14 x 36 tall and not a one sheet or half sheet. Images look like a combination of the two that Unga posted.

[ Edited by: filslash 2007-01-27 14:40 ]

Unga, the tag lines on those posters are the best! That flic must be unbelievably bad.

Fils, some of us can only see that darn red box with a white x in it where your image should be...

Ha! Let's have a contest for captions:

Policeman: " Twist dancing in bikinis and other lewd behaviour are not permitted on this beach!"

Ol' Beachcomber: "C'mon Sam, we were youngens once, too!"

Bikini couple girl: "What a square!"

Couple on the left: "Can we still commence with our Hukilau, officer?"

ONE WAY WAHINE (WAHINI) film finally found!

The film One Way Wahine was discovered in a film warehouse! It has been filmed-chained onto video and DVD.

Here 'tis:
http://www.thevideobeat.com/store/monster-teenage-movies/one-way-wahini-wahine-1965.html

One of the rarest beach movies. Filmed in Hawaii, One Way Wahini is a beach comedy-caper featuring thrills, lush Hawaiian tropical tiki splendor and the beautiful Joy Harmon (Va Va Vroom! …the best boobs to ever grace a beach movie!)

The VIDEO BEAT!
1950s & 1960s rock n roll movies, music & TV on DVD!
http://www.thevideobeat.com

[ Edited by: The VIDEO BEAT! 2007-04-06 07:26 ]

UB

Thanks for the tip/plug Va Va Vroom.

A

Wasn't Joy Harmon the girl in "Cool Hand Luke" who gets the prisoners all riled up while she washes her car?

Not to veer off topic too much, but Cool Hand Luke/washing car made me think of this: When I was living in the Hollywood Hills, that character actor playing the guard who utters the famous, often quoted words "What we have here is a failure to communicate!" lived down the street from me, where I saw him washing his car quite often. Didn't quite get me all riled up, but it was a kick.

Songs include: "One Way Wahine" (performed by Jody Miller over the credits), "When the One Way Wahine Does the Bird"

"When the One Way Wahine Does the Bird"!!? That's gotta be my favorite song title now!

Please post a review once viewed, like to know if it's bearable to watch.

8T

“What we’ve got here is failure to communicate,” declares Strother Martin, playing the captain of Road Prison 36 in Stuart Rosenberg’s classic film, Cool Hand Luke. Martin, of course, was talking about the recalcitrance of his ward, Luke, played by Paul Newman.

G

Just petitioned Netflix to carry it. I mean, who can pass up "the best boobs to ever grace a beach movie"?

B

I do have a (fuzzy) copy of this movie that was sent to me by someone that answered a search ad I placed in a movie trade magazine a couple years ago. I brought a copy to the hurricane Hukilau, but no one was interested in it. If you like so bad it's good movies I would recommend it.

The good:
It is in color, filmed in Hawaii, a beachcomber dragging a large glass float, a luau with a Tiki, and a rented bachelor pad with a waterfall and a bed that pops out of the wall from a remote control.

The bad:
Corny plot.

The ugly:
Some really bad acting.

I give it 2 thumbs up. If I get a chance I will post some images. For those that don't want to drop the cash yet, I will update the quality when I get my copy. I have bought from Video Beat before and the quality has been good.

Video Beat (or anyone else)......I still need Thunder Over Hawaii (aka: Naked Paradise), Tanga Tikka, a better copy of I Sailed To Tahiti With An All Girl Crew,
and the following 1960s TV shows: Surf's Up, The Beachcomber, and The Islanders.

Mahalo

Why yes it was...

She is simply listed in the credits as "The Girl"

...but what a girl...:)

Here is the poster again since the other links went dead

and from Cool Hand Luke

[ Edited by: Cool Manchu 2007-04-06 21:37 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies