Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hamburger Mary's, San Diego... Tiki?

Pages: 1 6 replies

While looking for info on the Mr. Tiki, San Diego, opening on the San Diego Union Tribune website I found:

If you're looking to grab some grub first, Hamburger Mary's boasts the best burgers in town. Tables are situated around a tarp-covered patio, adorned in tiki lamps and bamboo awnings.

Do any SD TCers know anything about this (maybe Tiki) Hamburger Joint attached to Kickers, a (ahem) "Gay & Lesbian Country-Western Dance Club?"

I haven't heard of this place before, but even cowgirls get the blues...and the munchies (I reckon).

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-04-30 21:57 ]

T

I believe Hamburger Mary's started in San Francisco and then spread which is ironic because the one in San Francisco closed last year. Their burgers are of the "gourmet" burger-so-big-you-can-hardly-get-it-in-your-mouth variety (like Fuddruckers).

I prefer a more manageable hamburger like the Hickory burger at the Apple Pan in West L.A. (the best burger place in the country and I've tried plenty). It's pure burger perfection.

Shipwreck, have you tried the Jay's Jayburgers on Washington in Mission Hills? It's a small chain from L.A. and they have great chiliburgers just like Tommy's (arguably better than Tommy's). I went there last year, so I'm not sure if they're still in business.

On 2004-05-03 12:13, thejab wrote:
Shipwreck, have you tried the Jay's Jayburgers on Washington in Mission Hills? It's a small chain from L.A. and they have great chiliburgers just like Tommy's (arguably better than Tommy's). I went there last year, so I'm not sure if they're still in business.

Jab, Jay's was still there as of a couple of months ago. I believe Jay's daughter & son-in-law run it.

On 2004-05-03 12:13, thejab wrote:

Ain't heard of that place yet Jab, but if they serve chiliburgers as good or better'n Tommy's I'm gonna check it out. The last good burger I had around here was at a little bar & grill on La Mesa Blvd called Jonny B's (great BBQ steak 'n egg Sunday breakfast too).

T

shipwreck - Remember hanging out at Beef 'n Bun on Fletcher Parkway? I remember some of the Standbys and the Penetrators were regulars there. Is it still there?

T

Yep! The Beef n Bun is still there. They still make the best milkshakes too!! :wink:

Pages: 1 6 replies