Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Moai Madness

Pages: 1 6 replies

Last night I went to the mall and bought two Moai items at Spencer Gifts{they misspelled it..uggh!They spelled it Moia anyways}I got fluorescent incense burner and a weird bunchy plastic material shaped into a Moai lamp.I got both for under twenty dollars.See,I love the image of the Moai...It is what brought me to my tiki induced path...I lay in bed last night thinking of all the plastic and paint and polluting crap it took to make these mall Moai's,but whats a poor girl to do....I've checked prices to Easter Island and I still have a ways [couple years] yet 'til I see the real thing.And ya can't get mugs off ebay for what ya used to...remember those days...Maybe if I didn't spend that twenty...but it is the here and now that counts.Plus,one day these won't be made,and they will be vintage...I was inspired last night...I have a 3 bedroom house,w/den,liv room,and dining room.I collect many things but the tiki's and moai's are creeping into and upon everything.I thought about a
vintage room and a new room of tiki's.Now my big idea is to have a tiki room and now a Moai room.As an artist,my house seems to be the biggest project I have evertaken....What do you think...I love the mystery of the Moais and I love tikis but they are totally different ...aren't they....

tikiluvgirl XXOO

[ Edited by: tikiluvgirl on 2002-08-23 23:06 ]

[ Edited by: tikiluvgirl on 2002-08-23 23:07 ]

Moais are the artistically most rewarding Tikis because of their modernistic simplicity. Changing/elongating/compressing any of their features (Forehead, eyebrows, nose, mouth) yields unique but still recognizable results, offering seemingly endless variations.

I have a hula girl bathroom, but it almost became a moai bathroom...I saw a link that sold Moai bathroom stuff...toilet paper holders, tissue dispensers, soap dispensers or dishes...have you seen it, or do you want me to find it for you...I agree...it's so damned easy to get carried away...God help us if one of us wins the lottery! :lol: Grey

I got one of those inscent burners at Spencers about a year ago. They had several floresent colors, including green, blue, pink & orange. (I got a blue one).

And if I ever win the lottery, there is gonna be one less uninhabited island out there in the Pacific...and we will ALL be partying in style!

Hey ChefGrey2, yeah finding that website for me would be cool...Hula girl bathroom sounds cute..Bigbrotiki hit the nail on the head about the Moais!! The lady at Spencers told me that a few weeks ago they had a 2-3ft plastic Moai lamp..anyone have an extra one or even seen them?

^ The site is Tiki Farm. Better not put off any purchases of these items though, as they are now discontinued.

Speaking of incense, I like to burn the coconut stuff before a party - gives the place an exotic scent that you can't quite pin down but smells vaguely tropical. Available at a head shop near you...

Pages: 1 6 replies