Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Credits - take a bow...

Pages: 1 16 replies

P
pablus posted on Sun, May 2, 2004 3:41 PM

Some of these shots have a flash for details' sake and some do not for atmosphere's sake.

Chikitiki pointed me to Witco look and thus the trim around the base of the bartop...routed out in a standard design and burnt with a torch and stained.

Unga Bunga and Traderpup mentioned bindings around the joints.

susane mentioned a tapa pattern which we've kind of started and will continue this summer with stencils carved out of sweet potato(e)s. I wanted the inside of the ceiling beams random and the outside and bar-beams more uniform just to break it up a little. I also "weathered" the posts and will hit them with the torch again once the patterns are laid on.

A whole scene here. Weapons by Basement Kahuna. Neck-tikis by purple jade and tiKitOnY. Cabinet frame by Monkeyman. Music by King Kukulele and Tikiking. Lots of mugs by smogbreather. I actually got MY martiki glasses FROM martiki himself. Swizzle sticks from TikiBree, Kailuageoff, Swanky,Tiki Kiliki, and congamike. Book of Tiki (on lower right of shelf) by bigbrotiki.

Yes, we are ohana.

Once we get the deck stained and add a couple of larger tikis in the back and put up some more ceiling treatments, I'll add to this thread. Thanks TC! The Lagoon Lounge (™AlnShellyProductions) is a great place to chill on these balmy Florida nights.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2004-05-02 15:45 ]

V
virani posted on Sun, May 2, 2004 3:45 PM

And now, you can invite all the ohana for a drink, even me who didn't do anything for your great bar !!!

P
pablus posted on Sun, May 2, 2004 3:51 PM

How about tonight at 6:30?

Bring your swimmies - the pool is in perfect condition.

BTW - I forgot to mention the raw fish salad we had - the recipe I got from TC member vainui... from New Caledonia.

What a treat that is.

And the few surfites we drank courtesy of Klas.

Excellent work!!

Cool buddy! looking good, looking good.

N

Looks like paradise. Awsome job!

UB

YOO HOO Pablus!
Way to go.
You’ll start to know how special your achievement was (building a tiki bar) when your on your way home from work or whatever, and the ”auto pilot” kicks in and you say to yourself,” I think I’ll stop by the bar for a drink (I deserve it)”, and then you think, “Awe Shit! I already have the coolest bar in town!” and you put your foot on the accelerator. That’s when you know; you’ve made your home, “your home” (if that makes any sense).
Any way, what I’m trying to say is, ENJOY THAT BEAUTIFUL TIKI BAR!!

looks real cozy. I love that evening photo - very inviting it is... :)

TB

SWEET! Pablus, your bar looks great!

M
motiki posted on Mon, May 3, 2004 3:02 PM

Cool bar, you did a great job!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 2, 2005 10:43 PM

Sweet bar man. Where is all this in relation to that pool of yours?

P

The Basement Kahuna Tiki you saw near the pool is facing the bar area from about 10 feet away.

Here are shots of it Swanky took before the new additions and some changes.

B

That is really nice, Is it a WITCO BAR ?, Where did you get it?

Seriously, Super nice work. A Bar to be Proud of for a Long Long time. Congrats.

Very beautiful job! Looks so tropical and cozy!

P
pablus posted on Mon, Oct 3, 2005 2:04 PM

Benzo - dreen,

It's called the Napali Bar.
Because of the bark on the sides looking just like the Napali Coast.

I went up to that little speed trap town on 301 east of Gainesville and nabbed some cypress slabs. It's the only place I could find them.

I had them setting outside for a couple months while I experimented how to fit them in linear and finally went WITH the wood and a more fluid approach. Even turning one sideways on the end.

I laid it out - marked a piece of 3/4" PT plywood around the edges and jigsawed it out. Then used floor glue and wood screws to mount the slabs to the plywood.

Rusty Key, Tall Mark and Snake helped me sand the edges of the plywood and also the surface of the cypress. We hit it with a couple of coats of Spar Urethane and that did the trick. I wanted to originally put resin over the whole thing but now I love the little pockets the wood has formed. It seems to give it much more texture. We left it for a year or so before sanding and hitting it again with the Urethane.

I propped it up with 4x4s and was going to cover them with bamboo but Chiki errrr.... Diablo said "no coverings." SO we left it open with some good advice from the boards. The original post where I asked for help is here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5711&forum=7&hilite=Lagoon

The bar should be well finished by Tiki Time of 2006 because I'll have Tiki Tony's tiki in there. Plus a couple others I'll pick up at Hukilau. Some more carvings and stuff from Hawaii and the Philippines and Indonesia, where I'm going in November. It looks even better now than ever but just a bit more... a little more... and then a little more... auwe - it'll never be done.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 3, 2005 3:39 PM

sweet!

You SO da man, Pablus. You SO, SO, SO, da man. I not da man. YOU da man.

Pages: 1 16 replies