Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My bar for The Kanaka Kove

Pages: 1 16 replies

N

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-05-02 22:00 ]

[ Edited by: net-tiki 2007-09-09 06:25 ]

Real,Real nice. That's the way to do it.

N

Thanks Chikitiki, now that the bar is done it is time to do the room in its proper attire. Man I am going broke, but at least I can enjoy some drinks in my own tiki paradise.

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 3, 2004 7:56 AM

Don't worry about the "going broke" part because there are two things that happen when you start hanging out at home more.

1. You actually save money on drinks. Lots of it if you're anything like me.

2. You only have top shelf - with fresh mint - and fresh juices. You reduce hangovers. You work better the next day. Your income doesn't take a hit from your drinking.

Killer bar. I love the receded lighting.

I'll have a Captain's Grog.

great bar! the light effect on the front of the bar adds a lot of character. The red light from below the tiki is going to look cool too. Nice job!

N

Thanks Pablus and Polynesiac for the props. Pablus I guess you are right about saving money by not going out as much, and definitely higher grade drinks. I've been buying the alchol for while now, so it wouldn't be all at once.
Polynesiac the lighting was a last minute addition and I am so glad it turned out the the way it did. Thanks again.

M

How did you do the lighting- can you post a picture of it?

Thanks!

M
motiki posted on Mon, May 3, 2004 3:10 PM

Well worth the four weeks, it came out great!

UB

Excellent job!
I can't wait to have a Bosko (and other's) tiki to watch over my bar.

N

Martiki I used rope lighting, a 6' strand that I got at Lowes about $6. It gives you everything you need to hang the lights.

Motiki the bar took four weeks and now I wonder how long the room will take.

UB I know what you mean I want to get more Bosko tikis.

Thanks you guys!

Cool Bar Net! As per the time it took and the time it's gonna take for the room, just rember this. "As long as you are having fun doing it, just do it!"

If you're not having fun doing it, then .....

On 2004-05-03 23:11, RevBambooBen wrote:
If you're not having fun doing it, then .....

Stop & have a drink!

net-tiki, maybe try night light kits for the underlighting? You can pick up the type with a cord & in-line switch @ the hardware or Big Box chain store, just get the type that take the large X-mas lights & use 4 clear red bulbs. You could put a cone of foil behind the light to bounce more light up towards the mask.

For a more "flame-like" look, maybe use flicker bulbs & paint'em red with glass paint?

Another thought was put 2 miniature halogen fixtures in the 2 outer bamboo pieces & angle them in slightly. You could then make'em red with a little piece of red cel.

Personally I'd like 1 red & 1 blue for moody shadows. I've been using that red 'n' blue light trick for mood lighting for mumble-mumble years.

N

Thanks Rev! All the work you do is very impressive, so with your acknowledgement I feel even more proud of my accomplishment. I am definitely haveing fun.

Freddiefreelance some really good ideas. I really like the painted flicker bulbs, I think they would achieve the effect Im looking for. I also use the red and blue lights for mood lighting, they work well together. Thanks for the great ideas, and I think I will have a drink or 2 or 3.

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-05-04 11:44 ]

K
KAHAKA posted on Tue, May 4, 2004 5:22 PM

Really, really nice job, net-tiki. What type of stain and color did you use to get the wood nice and dark?

Thanks,
Kahaka

N

Thanks Kahaka, I used Minwax dark walnut. about three coats. But I did torch the wood and then took a brass brush, the ones that look almost like a toothbrush, and scrubbed it down to pull out the wood grain. I did this process twice.

KK

Great looking bar- looks like a labor of love.
All I might add is that a set of heavy duty locking casters underneath are VERY nice if you ever need to move your bar, and definitely easier to install before stocking & setting into place.

D

Sweet! The lighting is what puts it over the tippy top! Illumination is so key.Nice job!

Pages: 1 16 replies