Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic Anniversary

Pages: 1 7 replies

M

I found this using the three words in a search engine on Yahoo:Trader Vic’s Inc. Celebrates 70th Anniversary in 2004
Trader Vic’s Inc. is celebrating 70 years in the hospitality business. With twenty-one (21) restaurants around the world, including Emeryville, Palo Alto, and Beverly Hills California, Trader Vic’s has maintained the same quality of food and service Vic Bergeron envisioned 70 years ago.

Corte Madera, CA (PRWEB) April 2, 2004 -- Trader Vic’s Inc, with corporate headquarters in Corte Madera, California, is celebrating 70 years in the hospitality business. With twenty-one (21) restaurants around the world, including Emeryville, Palo Alto, and Beverly Hills California, Trader Vic’s has maintained the same quality of food and service Vic Bergeron envisioned 70 years ago.

It all began in Oakland on 65th and San Pablo in 1934 when Victor Jules Bergeron opened a bar he called Hinky Dinks. The name, taken from the World War 1 song refrain "Hinky dinky, parlez-vous", was a favorite of Vic’s, and the atmosphere epitomized the local corner saloon of that era. Built for $500, the 22' x 26' building featured a rustic decor with snowshoes, deer heads and other hunting equipment on the walls, a pinball game, along with assorted tables and chairs.

From the day the doors opened, Hinky Dinks was a success. First, it was just the locals, then the reputation began to spread and people came from all over the Bay Area to enjoy the charm of Vic Bergeron. Noted San Francisco columnist, Herb Caen, described his first impression of Hinky Dinks as" ... little more than a beer joint, and yet you knew right away it was someplace special...I remember it to this day."

The depression was beginning to take its toll on the local population. Increasingly, Vic was trading food and libation for goods and services from his customers. He wanted to change the concept of Hinky Dinks to provide an escape from ordinary life -- create an illusion that one had fled to a tropical island. After a trip to Don The Beachcomber, a famous Hollywood eatery, Vic knew what to do.

In one day, Hinky Dinks' rustic hunting lodge atmosphere was replaced with exotic Polynesian-style decor. The new look then needed a new name. "Trader Vic's" was a natural given Vic's propensity to barter.

"Trader" as Vic soon became known, decided to introduce a cuisine that fit the new restaurant theme. The freshness and exotic flavors of Polynesian food with a mix of Chinese, French and American dishes quickly became the trademarks of Trader Vic's. He was the father of fusion food. To ensure the proper roasting techniques indigenous to Polynesian and Oriental food styles were followed; ancient Chinese Wood Fired Ovens, which have the fire source on the outside, were installed. This type of oven slowly smoke-roasts meat, fish, poultry and fowl to perfection in a non-carcinogenic method.

Vic believed in serving top quality food and was constantly adding new dishes to the menu. This philosophy has led to the current menu of "Island" style food starting with its famous "Tidbits" of Crab Rangoon, Barbecue Spareribs, Cheese Bings and Crispy Prawns. From there, diners move on to the "Starters" with a variety of fresh seafood, shellfish, salads and soups including the unusual Bongo Bongo Soup, a silky blend of oysters and spinach, glazed with cream. With such a wide variety of food styles and dishes, chefs from all over the world can be seen sampling the fare at Trader Vic's around the world. As Ruth Reichl, restaurant editor for the Los Angeles Times, so aptly said, "Trader Vic's had a grazing menu before grazing was a concept..."

Trader's passion to create new items also existed in the bar.
Using rums from around the world as a base, a multi-page menu describes all the tropical drinks developed by Trader and his staff, as well as other famous bartenders. Most notable is the Mai Tai that was brought to life in 1944 when Trader and the bartender of Hinky Dinks were experimenting with different liquors. The name "Mai Tai" means "out of this world" in Tahitian -- an appropriate term say the admirers of this most popular drink.

In addition to the over 75 exotic drinks offered, Trader felt it very important to support the growing California wine industry. He made a commitment to showcase the wide variety of superb wines being made throughout California. In fact, Trader Vic's first California wine list is still a part of the wine curriculum taught at the California Culinary Institute.

In 1949, the Trader was sought out by managing executives of Western Hotels of Seattle, Washington (now Westin Hotels & Resorts), to open a Trader Vic's in their flagship Seattle hotel. This began a period of rapid expansion resulting in 13 restaurants, in 12 cities, in nine countries, all located in a premier hotel in each city.

Last year Trader Vic’s opened a new restaurant in Berlin, Germany and this year San Francisco is scheduled to open.

Knowing that the burgeoning business needed more room than the original location at 65th and San Pablo, Trader Vic's was moved to new facilities in Emeryville over-looking the San Francisco Bay in 1972.

Trader Vic's popularity also led to the development of a food products division which manufactures and distributes the special sauces, dressings, and drink mixers for home usage.

In 1972, Vic Bergeron officially retired.

Long time employee and veteran restaurateur Hans Richter is President and CEO; Jerome Laugenie is Vice President for Europe and Middle East; Rene Purro is Vice President for Asia and Australia and Special Projects Manager and Sven Koch is Vice President of American Operations.

The first 70 years saw a $500 wooden shack restaurant expand into an international corporation with annual gross sales of nearly $50 million.

The next 70 years will witness further building on this remarkable foundation, as the legacy of Trader Vic's limitless imagination, endless innovation and deep-rooted integrity continues to satisfy diners around the world. Visit our web site for more information...www.tradervics.com.

Trader Vic’s

Tara O’Leary
Media Relations

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 3, 2004 8:19 PM

And I have #251 of 500 limited edition Hinky Dink mugs! Thanks to my alert wahine, who picked one up while I was jabbering to Dave the Bartender of Trader Vics, Emeryville, about that 20 year old bottle of Sazeracs Falernum he found for me in the back.

mmmm - test pilots

On 2004-05-03 19:03, mrsmiley wrote:
Last year Trader Vic’s opened a new restaurant in Berlin, Germany and this year San Francisco is scheduled to open.

Hmmmm. Interesting news considering they closed the one in SF not too long ago in the 90's. I wonder if they will be doing this one "old school" or if they are going to go for the Palo Alto look...

M

You can bet on San Francisco looking like Palo Alto.

And Pablus...that bottle of Falernum was 20 years old? I just drank an ounce out of that bottle at Vic's last weekend. That explains the tracers.

T

On 2004-05-03 20:19, pablus wrote:

And I have #251 of 500 limited edition Hinky Dink mugs! Thanks to my alert wahine, who picked one up while I was jabbering to Dave the Bartender of Trader Vics, Emeryville, about that 20 year old bottle of Sazeracs Falernum he found for me in the back.

mmmm - test pilots

About 2 weeks ago on a Saturday morning I went to an estate sale in Berkeley and I found a vintage cocktail book. After the sale me and my friends were standing in front of the house while I was reading some recipes out loud to them. Some guy was walking his dogs and he said "Did you mention Falernum?". I said "Yes, it's an ingredient in one of these recipes." The dog guy said "The reason why I asked is I work at Trader Vic's and the other night some guy came in who wanted to see my bottle of Falernum. He was really interested in it. I thought he was a bit strange because he was so into a bottle of Falernum!" I immediately asked "Was he from Tampa, FL, wearing an aloha shirt, and was his name pablus?" (except that I used his real name) The dog guy said "That's the guy!"

On 2004-05-04 11:47, thejab wrote:

On 2004-05-03 20:19, pablus wrote:

mmmm - test pilots

About 2 weeks ago on a Saturday morning I went to an estate sale in Berkeley and I found a vintage cocktail book. After the sale me and my friends were standing in front of the house while I was reading some recipes out loud to them. Some guy was walking his dogs and he said "Did you mention Falernum?". I said "Yes, it's an ingredient in one of these recipes." The dog guy said "The reason why I asked is I work at Trader Vic's and the other night some guy came in who wanted to see my bottle of Falernum. He was really interested in it. I thought he was a bit strange because he was so into a bottle of Falernum!" I immediately asked "Was he from Tampa, FL, wearing an aloha shirt, and was his name pablus?" (except that I used his real name) The dog guy said "That's the guy!"

Great story Jab.
I wonder if the day will come when any weirdo walks into a bar, and the bartender will automatically ask them, "You a Tiki Centralite?".

P

I resent being called "weirdo."

I prefer "freak" or "kooky-cat."

This is Dave the Bartender

And now that I've unlocked the Falernum, my next target is this:

Cool story, Jab.
I owe you a "test pilot" when you come down for Hukilau.

T
thejab posted on Tue, May 4, 2004 1:13 PM

Dave is the dog guy!!

Pages: 1 7 replies