Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Your favorite tiki style?

Pages: 1 14 replies

I'm playing around doing research on tikis thinking about doing some concrete statues like old tiki ruins in the backyard and I'm finding my favorite tiki style is the Polynesian/Marquesan style. I think they have a really cool look. For a big stone tiki, I think it's hard to beat the Easter Island heads. Here's a picture of some images I found on the web of Marquesan carvings along with an Easter Island head. What else is really cool looking, what's your favorite tiki style?

I have a soft spot for the Marq style. I kind of am "in" to the style of tiki I am currently carving( I pick a style and carve it until I am comfy with it, then move on to the next) , The moai is too cool in stone also so.....? Whatever you do it is going to be TOPS!

You know, what's embarrassing to admit is that when I look at the left two on the bottom row, I see "TV's salt and pepper shaker" and "Mai Kai decanter".

I too love Marquesan for smaller and Easter Island for bigger. And I love Maori for flat carvings (wallhanging type work).

But there aren't any authentic styles (that are still "tiki") that I don't admire, really.

The beauty of maoi for large statues is their strong features. You need very sharp, very strong features to hold up for big work (to be admired from a distance). The Statue of Liberty hardly has a pert little soap opera queen nose.

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-05-04 09:46 ]

Well, you might find that two of those are actually from the Cook Islands (The second & fourth on the bottom), so you might have a new favourite!

I have a definite soft spot for the Marquesan & Cook Islands styles. Then again, what would Tiki be without the Hawaiian Islands Tiki figures? As for Tiki mugs, the Moai will always be the essence of Tiki cool. But then how could anyone ignore the Maori carvings of New Zealand? And...and....

It's a tough call.......
Trader Woody

the moai collect moai, the moai like 'em

Yes, Cook Islands, definitely one of my favorites for their very stylized primitive look. I'm still learning. Some years ago I purchased some carvings from Oceanic arts, there's two tiki poles incorporating the Marquesan guy on the lower left and also one single version of the same. I never knew exactly what they were, but now that I'm researching I find that they are pretty accurate reproductions - they look just like the one in the picture. Bob at Oceanic told me they were salvaged from some old tiki bar ages ago.

JT

The lower one in red looks identical to the Hale Tiki logo.

TW

I was thinking about that the other day about how my favorite tiki style is the big black stone Easter Island Heads. I love that picture of them on the island!

A

I'm partial to the so called "Tahitian Style". Big Bro please correct me if I'm wrong here, but, didn't you tell me the Ancient Tahitians did not carve Tikis, but, they started carving when they found out the English seafarers wanted to buy them? The tikis have large eyes on the side of their heads and "2 pie plates put together" topnots and teeth. I wish i had better pictures, these were taken at the Bali Hai.
Mahalo,
Al

UPDATE: I went to the Bali Hai and took more pictures

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2004-05-06 11:24 ]

G
GECKO posted on Wed, May 5, 2004 10:00 PM

Cook Isla's are my favorite.

M

Can't seem to pick just one style. Here's my Top 5 (in order):

1. Cook Island - love the distinctive stylized eyes/mouth.
  2. Maori - the intricate details are amazing.
  3. Marquesan - mysterious and other-worldly.
  4. Tahitian - the deep bold lines are mesmerizing.
  5. Moai - simple design but classically cool.

Thanks Al, I didn't know that style was attributed to the Tahitians but I've always loved it just the same.

ModMana :drink:

B

I'm kinda with Modmana, can't decide. I Love the super detail of the Maori , and love the mystery of the Hawiian gods. Love Cooks Island too.
Hell, just show me any tiki I don't love

J

I'd proud to proclaim that my favorite tiki is without a doubt the Cook Islands Tangaroa...below is a pic of mine and my son's! He's becoming even more dependent on tiki that I am...

On 2004-05-06 16:55, johntiki wrote:

below is a pic of mine and my son's! He's becoming even more dependent on tiki that I am...

Like father, like son - A chip off the old block.

My favorite style is the Hawaiian style, Ku, Kane, and Lono, etc. Lots of expression and full body tiki. Also, angry as I might think they would be (considering that in 2 generations 80% of the land was no longer in Hawaiian ownership and considering that the last Hawaiian Queen was imprisoned - but, I digress.)

I also love the square mass of the Easter Island heads as well as those with the scoria topknots on their ahu. The immense scale, their enigmatic past and their isolated location all add to the aura.

On 2004-05-05 18:56, Alnshely wrote:

The one pictured with Sven was my favorite one but alas, some YAY-HOO stole it....

Al, did you take photos of the two Marq's on the pier that were incorrectly assembled?

Pages: 1 14 replies