Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

any tiki near Mammoth Cave??

Pages: 1 14 replies

TB

Trader Trick and I are planning a spelunking trip to Cave City. We'll be staying in Wig Wam village but are wondering if there are any tiki sites in that area???

Ahhhhhhhh. I miss being an "Underground Dweller!" There's nothing like being underground for a few days. Ultimate Meditation!!

Tiki Bree and Tristan- sent you a PM. Contact my friend. He'll load you with info on caving.

If you're ever out here, you'll have to go to Pisgah Crater. The lava tubes are cool!

S
Swanky posted on Wed, May 5, 2004 8:39 AM

Hey guys, my daughter and I were there a couple spring breaks ago and found out that they book those cave tours early and could not get in! So, go to their website and get a reservation. We ended up not getting in and had to book for a few days later and return.

There is not a lot around there. Some old signage. It's also way off the beaten path and you'll pass through some small towns on the way that you might explore. We didn't have time.

I think the red lantern tour was the one we were trying to get on. Something like that. It's very popular.

Watch for the wild turkeys in the woods on your drive through the park!

http://swankpad.org/places/cavecity/cavecity.htm

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-05-05 08:40 ]

R
Rorysm posted on Wed, May 5, 2004 9:39 AM

The Omni hut is probably a two hour drive away. If you get bored, you could go to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green (not tiki, but pretty cool).

TB

Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

I

I highly recommend the Cave City Wax Museum.

I've been to many wax museums - the most realistic, high quality ones are the various Madame Toussand museums, and at the opposite end of the wax realism spectrum are the cheaper ones - like the one at Cave City (or the country music wax museum for sale on ebay.

I get a big kick out of looking at wax figures that don't really look like the celebrities they are suppose to portray.

When are you going to be in Cave City? My brother and his family are also staying at the Wigwam teepee place sometime this summer.

Vern

T

For once I have to disagree with Tim. I have been to Mammoth Cave twice in the past 3 years, and the road between Mammoth Cave and Wigwam Village is rife with wacky mid 20th century torurist artifacts.

One of the few modern attractions there is a new mini golf course that has a few Tikis in it.

That's all there is for Tiki, but there' definitely a bunch to see along the trip.

Check out the text following my Omni Hut review on the TIki Bar Review Pages for a longer look at Cave City.

I have also never had a problem getting into a cave tour showing up an hour or so before they start. I too two tours each time I went. Very cool.

TB

JT,
Does the Omnu Hut serve lunch????
Are reservations required??
We're deinitely adding it to our plans.
By the way, we'll be caving with Jim & Sue!!!!

TB

On 2004-05-05 10:01, ikitnrev wrote:
I highly recommend the Cave City Wax Museum.

I've been to many wax museums ...

Precious Vern,
I'm a wax museum fan, too!! I remember potter's in St. Augustine when it was in its original location. My elementary school had several field trips there. Then later, i returned in the early 80's to find it seriously downsized and in a different location. How sad. I dont even know if it's still open now or not.
Thanks for the "heads up" about the presence of a wax museum in Cave City.
This is a part of the country that I haven't explored yet, so I'm anxious to find tarnished treasures from yesteryear.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, May 6, 2004 1:44 PM

No reservations required for Omni Hut. It looks like only dinner from their website: ADDRESS: HWY. 41 & 70, SMYRNA, TN
DINING HOURS: Tuesday - Saturday, 5:30 to 9:30 PM
FOR INFORMATION : (615)459-4870

James is right. Cave City is very untouched since the hayday of open road travel. It's far from any Interstate. Some of the stuff is just so normal tacky to me that I over look it. I get a bunch here and it looks somewhat the same.

TB

Thank you very much, Swanky. This info will be very helpful in planning our road trip!!!

Check out the Golgotha Fun Park miniature golf course if you want to see lawn ornaments in biblical roles. It was closed when we were there last summer, but we couldn't tell if it was closed for good or not. If you go, tell us whats in the gift shop; I can only imagine.

Just an FYI, I was visiting the Omni Hut's site, http://www.omnihut.com , and they will be closed for their annual vacation June 27-July 12.

TB

Thanks, Todd!
Fortunately our roadtrip will be after the dates you posted.

PS, are you in Orlando, too???
Have we met???

Tiki Bree,

we have not met, I moved from Orlando to Nasville a few months ago and Im brand spankin new to the TC world, I had no idea all this good stuff was going on out here!

When are you coming up? It's a very cool set up!

Pages: 1 14 replies