for purchase info please contact MModern Gallery in Palm Springs

V
virani posted on Wed, May 5, 2004 2:18 PM

Nice one Miles....as always.

P
pablus posted on Wed, May 5, 2004 3:35 PM

Very intriguing.

Thanks for posting it.
I can't figure out whether it makes me want rum or makes me want to stay away from rum.

I need a drink to sort it out.

Interesting work!
Can you give us some insight as why you chose the various graphic elements in the painting?
Such as the letter "Z", I notice a "T" & "O" (maybe?) a couple of places, what does the bowling segment mean to the rest of the painting?, why is the fairy character squishing the green-armed guy? Lots of things working in the painting.
Any explanation of the interaction of the elements in the work of art would be fun to hear!

K

"Z" is for zzzs that represent deep sleep (sleeping pill)...and in turn...dreams...the girl represents the dream...what isn't real but what we (as men or women) live for none the less...an ideal...she has squashed the green guy who is the monster - everyday life - sloth - indulgence - she enables us to LIVE in our dreams as much as possible...potentially daily

those other text elements aren't literal characters simply interpretive design elements...the only other literary use is the E and the F on the gauge that is set on to the side of the tiki head...he is passed empty headed

the bowling is in regard to self indulgence being an elected challenge...a game...or a stand...you can bowl against yourself or against a friend or foe in a match... know your limitations based on your practice...savor especially the last drop (the inverted test tube with one drip falling from it's opening)...when it's gone it's good... play and pay...truck onward!

what you are probably wonderng is... does this artist want a chichi or a nap? the answer is... sleep kicks alcohol's ass any day!

thanks for your interest in my cryptic image everyone! this one has the world's panties in a wad because it "- isn't really a tiki painting"...oh OK picasso!

B

Way to go Kooch, nice to see more new stuff. Love it.

UB

On 2004-05-05 15:35, pablus wrote:
I can't figure out whether it makes me want rum or makes me want to stay away from rum.

All I know is, I'll have what Kooche is havin.
Killer Kooche!
A great tiki impressionism.

S

Miles-
Dig the painting as usual, and I would have to agree as much as I love my booze, sleep kicks alocohol's ass. I'm about to break 100 hours this week and its only thursday.

Very cool. This style is my favorite where you use lots of objects. I like the scenes that you paint as well but for me these are so unique that they push the others back.

Kooch, is that trippy or what? That's why I like you. Scott, sleep my boy, sleep!

Cryptic, very cryptic, Miles. A perfect back bar painting to peruse while hanging at the counter, wondering what it all means. I love looking at the icons and figuring out the various stylistc treatments you came up with.

I think you are ready to go more abstract, in a classic cubist "modern" way. With the objects as well as using it in the background to link the objects.

great stuff as always......am i the only one who is completely floored by the talent of all the fellow tc'ers, i'm blown away on a daily basis here.....

K

thanks you guys...this one was fun to paint...i didn't have to feel like there was a need to just finish it off so i could show it in time for the show...

now that my idol time show is over with i am making preparations to show in dec at the Mmodern gallery which i visited last friday for the first time...it's a great space in the most populated area of Palm Springs for foot traffic...i was there with a couple of friends one of which was retrieving his art from his show from last month...Tim Biskup...

anyway i don't knw if any of y'all made it over to the "i dream of tiki" show but i was able to preview the show while i was there and i was totally amazed by Flounder's stuff...the multimedia looks great on line but you really don't get the feeling in all of his perfect use of texture until you see it in person...as is the case with every piece of art you see in a book/online and then in person...totally glorious to see his stuff in person finally!

thanks again TC peeps! you make me feel like painting!

Kooche, you are to kind. How was the show? Big turn out?

K

the show was the day following my drop off and return home...so i missed the opening itself...as cool as the majority of the TC peeps are i was scared off due to a hangover 3 chichis tall...i can only do so much drinking...but i understand that there were many that never made it to the show or left the caliente tropics parking lot because they were worried that the parking situation would have them walking to palm springs after finding parking available only in LA...i hear the turnout was thin...but i don't know for sure...the art looked great!

On 2004-05-12 08:33, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Kooche, you are to kind. How was the show? Big turn out?

The turn out was huge, at least it was on the first day when I was there. I usually don't go to show openings due to my fear of large crowds in small spaces, but this one was well worth the hyperventilation.

Hey Miles, great piece like always! Can't wait to see more. I love the idea of our dreams squashing real life, cool thought. Thanks for sharing.

Pages: 1 16 replies