Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Herb Remington's Beachcombers

Pages: 1 4 replies

T
thejab posted on Wed, May 5, 2004 2:29 PM

Any Herb Remington fans out there? I was looking through my record collection on Monday for Hawaiian hillbilly records to play for tiki kiliki's visit, and I found quite a few Hawaiian tunes by steel player Herb Remington on various steel guitar compilations.

I found out that he played with Bob Wills and Spade Cooley before starting his own band in the 1950s called The Beachcombers, but I have not seen a whole album by the group. Anyone have one? I did a search on TC and couldn't find any reference to a band called the Beachcombers.

Now he sells steel guitars and tabulature on his web site. He has a new lap steel called the Playboy that's $500. I want one!

http://www.remingtonsteelguitars.com/

Hey Jab, If you're at Tiki Oasis this weekend I'll hunt you down and fill you in on "Herbie". I've taken lessons from him!

Kilikopela

K

I have an LP by Herb Remington & the Beachcombers...called "Aloha Hawaii." It's a "Steel Guitar Vintage Classics" reissue of an earlier LP. tracks include Wind Chimes, Lonely Isle, Happy Chant, etc. I have over 2,300 Hawaiian LPs and this is one of my favorites. Do you have a CD player? CFontact me at [email protected].
Cheers, John

The house band of the Kahiki in Columbus was called The Beachcombers, but that might just be a coincidence. Where does Remington hail from?

T
thejab posted on Thu, May 6, 2004 5:59 PM

On 2004-05-06 17:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
The house band of the Kahiki in Columbus was called The Beachcombers, but that might just be a coincidence. Where does Remington hail from?

His Beachcombers were based in Houston, TX.

Correction of my earlier post: He played with Hank Penny, not Spade Cooley.

Pages: 1 4 replies