Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Wray & Nephew Overproof ...use of?

Pages: 1 4 replies

I've got a bottle of Wray & Nephew Overproof that I was sampling last night. I love the unusual grassy taste of it but I've yet to use it in any cocktails. Has anyone used it with any success?

J

I posed the same question when I brought a bottle back from Jamaica and I was told that it works as a fine substitute for 151...I didn't get any cocktail ideas that would feature overproof so I too will be watching this topic for any suggestions!

T

Here's a few recipes....

Dick's Rumshack Punch

1 shot Wray and Nephew Overproof,
1 shot Wood's 100
3/4 shot each of lime juice & lemon juice
couple of dashes of angostura bitters
c. 1 shot of peach puree
1 shot each of pineapple & orange juice
3/4 shot grenadine syrup

Shake and strain over ice, in a pilsner glass (or other tall glass); garnish with a pinch of nutmeg sprinkled on top.

Stem Winder

1 msr triple sec, 1 msr LBV port, 1 msr creme de cacao, 1 teaspoon Kahlua, 1 teaspoon Wray & Nephew's overproof rum. Shake on crushed ice and strain, add a twist of lemon.

Marble's Limon Lobotomy

Cut up 1/2 of a lime into wedges. In a blender, mix 1/4 Cup Key Lime Juice, 1/4 cup pineapple juice, 4 ounces of Appleton White Rum, or if you are adventurous, 3 ounces of Wray and Nephew Overproof, along with a tray of ice cubes (about 12).

After somehat chopped, toss in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Blend until frothy and well-mixed. Pour into tall glass and garnish with lime wedges.

Rum Cream

on-the-rocks mix of Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum, Bailey's Irish Cream, amaretto, creme de cacao and cream of coconut. (no measures given)

The Real Rum Punch

1 part lime or lemon juice
2 parts grenadine/clear syrup
3 parts Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum
4 parts water

Mix ingredient together in a punch bowl or pitcher with ice. An island favorite and easy to remember too – one of sour, two of sweet, three of strong and four of weak!

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-05-07 08:22 ]

The locals mix it with their beer. I guess the end result resembles 'Special Brew' (a foul, overly-strong beer beloved of tramps).
It's called a 'Steel Bottom' and it's simply a shot of W & N's topped up with Red Stripe. Along the same lines, a 'Stone and Gravel' is one shot of W & N's with 3 shots of Stones Ginger wine stirred into a glass full of crushed ice.

Another simple, yet slightly more Tiki recipe is the Coco Naut.
2 shots W & N
2 shots cream of coconut
1 shot of freshly squeezed lime juice
all blended with crushed ice and served in a small 'rocks' glass.

Personally, I'm not that keen on the stuff. I managed to go through a bottle easily enough, but found it overpowered virtually everything I mixed it with.

Trader Woody

T

It would probably be excellent in any recipe that calls for light Jamaican rum, such as several recipes in the Don the Beachcomber book which call for Myers' Platinum. I was able to find Myers' Platinum in a 1 liter bottle, and in Mexico I found Appleton White (clear Jamaican rum), so I don't use the W & N Overproof as much anymore. Still, you may want to substitute it for light rum in any recipe if you want a stronger drink.

Pages: 1 4 replies