Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW artist here.. recommended that I get with Tiki Central!!

Pages: 1 21 replies

T

I am a recent ex Disney Imagineer that has started a whole bunch of my own paintings that are just being published and sold in Hawaii. I was told time and time again that I should get circulating into this and other ways to show my work to all of us tiki and exotic art/fantasy lovers. Is this the best area to start to introduce myself?? Some of my work can be see on http://www.diamondheadgallery.com I am the featured artist. I LOVE hawaii..tikis and great Mai Tai's want to say hello! ~~ Tom

[ Edited by: THOR's on 2004-05-08 11:25 ]

Superb work!!

T
THOR's posted on Sat, May 8, 2004 2:14 PM

Thanks Jungletrader!! I am really just so in my own world of exotica its hard to know how others feel about the work. I have a lot of people investing in hawaii that this will go over big..so trusting them and painting!!!

Fantastic stuff - I just wish I had more $$ to spend on this (don't we all)!

S
sungod posted on Sat, May 8, 2004 7:04 PM

Truly beautiful!!!

wonderful stuff, great detail,nice frames.....wish i was loaded, so i could afford more original art work like this stuff!

Aloha and welcome to Tiki Central Thor's (Tom) and glad to see you here!

To all, I met Tom some years ago at Disney and he was doing incredible concept renderings and paintings for the Tokyo DisneySea project. He's one of the most talented artists I've ever seen - his work floored me then, and it's great to see him doing tiki stuff now. So he just got a deal with the Diamond Head gallery and I'm sure he'll be doing fabulous with it. The paintings are amazing, check them out. It's great to see a nice guy make it!

All the best from Paul and Richard up here at Pariarts, we'll be following your rise to fame!

T
THOR's posted on Sun, May 9, 2004 7:00 PM

Thanks!! Paul and Richard!! Hope last weekends party was a smash!! I wish you were closer and that now that I am so focused on the tiki and hawaiian art....we could share more of the spirit in person again!! I send my equal respect to both of you and your incredible talent and AMAZING creations!! Thanks for introducing me to this place...I am hoping that the tiki god's have called me to a place of blissful joy and success~~ Mahalo!! hope to talk to you guys soon~ ~~~~ Tom

S

GREAT STUFF!
I need more $ and more room on my walls!

T

I understand the $ part!! Well what I am working on is a seperate web site..should be up in the nxt 2 or three weeks. The art at Diamondhead Gallery is original and large..most being 30 by 40 inches. The "limited editions" are highest quality Giclee prints..very close to the original in look. What I hope to offer on the other site is smaller litho's and good repros that are perhaps just $100.00 or so. I am freee to pubish on the mainland without restriction but respecting the gallery and its stratedgy this summer. They expect the Giclee's top sell very well ..even at the price they are. So..I am letting the process take it's course and painting. If any of you want to link sites..etc. when the seperate site on my work is running..please let me know!!

Well well well, Mr. Thordarson! welcome to Tiki Central!

Nicole & Devon say hi....

Chris Merritt

T

hey! ! long time no hear!! How are you both??? Now you see some of the stuff I have been up to besides wild rides!! Hope you are well and loving parenthood!!! You are tiki fans too??? cool!!!!!!
~~ Tom

T

hey! ! long time no hear!! How are you both??? Now you see some of the stuff I have been up to besides wild rides!! Hope you are well and loving parenthood!!! You are tiki fans too??? cool!!!!!!
~~ Tom

T

On 2004-05-10 15:26, THOR's wrote:
~~ Tom

Yep. Check out the insanity at http://www.christophermerritt.com & more specifically (really old - I need to post new pics) http://www.christophermerritt.com/family/Devon/devon.html

By the way - for all of you Tokyo DisneySea fans out there who don't already know - Tom was the original mad genius behind Mysterious Island and the awe inspiring Journey To The Center of the Earth attraction - probably the best dark ride done in the last 30 years...

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-05-10 17:46 ]

Very cool stuff! Let me know when your new site's up & I'll link you from my site.
Where are you out of? Somewhere in California I'm guessing? I'm also a new tiki artist, but no claim to fame designing for disney like you! Wow. I am in awe. If ya got the time, let me know what you think of my stuff: http://www.theartdeck.com. Always open to a little constructive criticism from the masters. :)

K

Hello all!!! I have just stummbled upon the tikicentral. My name is Kaikala and I am and artist/surfer from Lahaina. This place looks like a lot of fun. I am really excited to have found this, and i hope that i get to know some of you better. Wow....Thor your artwork is amazing!!! Ok, i am gonna wander around here for a bit and then off to bed. Gnite all.

[ Edited by: Kaikala on 2004-06-11 01:02 ]

[ Edited by: Kaikala on 2004-06-11 01:07 ]

T

Thor's~ Gotta say, I wish I was weathly so I could buy all of your originals for myself, your paintings are so amazing in how they capture and evoke the spirit of Hawaii. I do hope that you are able soon to being offering S/N Lithographs or even non S/N prints because I am darn impatient about really being able to see your work up close as it hangs on my wall. And someday we will all be saying how we new him on TC when he was this new guy painting those wonderful scences. You are truly blessed by the Island spirits. Mahalo for sharing your work I eagerly await the viewing of your next piece.

S

Thor! We are patiently awaiting a print of "Harmony of the Elements." Your mastery of the tiki in this painting is, sob, beautiful!

T

Good mornin!!! Thanks to everyone giving me great feed back and inspiration..it's what fires the passion of any artist to push onward!! Thanks especially to the latest feedback from Hawaii locals like "Kaikala"!! Check out Diamondhed gallery in Lahina ..park your board on the Gallery reps desk and look at "Diamond in the rough" up close!!!! I will be visiting Hawaii in a few weeks to meet people and sign prints...also, any feedback and inspiration from the locals is GREATLY inspiring and respected. The latest painting that will be on the sight shortly called" Magik of the Tiki Maker" was inspired when I sat and got to know several local tiki carvers on Oahu and Maui....this, again fires me up with ideas and real stories connecting me with real cool people and genuine spirits.
"Tiki-toa" and "Sea-tiki"....thank you for the kind words!! All this is growing rapidly. The first goal was to get my name known, starting in Hawaii this summer through the Gallery. Diamonhead Gallery represents some fantastic talent, including Roy Tabora, James Coleman and others and I am happy to be part of it. So far, what is available is high quality Giclee prints other than the original art. They are so close to the originals in look that this is what I suppose warrants the higher investment price. I sign and hand highlight these also for this first limited series. In discussion currently with DHG is some line of prints or posters that would be smaller than the originals which are mostly 30" by 40",,I think "Harmony of the Elements" was smaller..18" by 24". Anyway, the goal is to be loyal to the buyers who are investing in the limited Giclee prints yet we know we want to hit many markets of investment ..we are searching for the balance, but again, the first goal is the Shows and getting my name out there this summer. I am trusting my publisher at Diamonhead in the strategy to really make this a success, so I do my job by just paintingt and painting. Response to this work so far has been outstanding and I am excited. Stay in touch!! Feedback is taken very seriously by me and it is very important to connect to the audience I paint for personally whenever I can.

K

Aloha!!!! Thor, when i get a chance i will check out the galleries. your art work is truly amazing!!! being a surfer, i totally love your "surfer's paradise" painting. it pulled me right in, it was like stepping into a surfer's fantasy, and looking at it was like almost as good as being there. the board slide was wonderful, great touch!!! you will be a big name very soon!!! not that being a big name is important, but your work touches the soul and it will definetly get the attention of those who have a love for hawaii, the ocean, and magic!!!! may you continue to be blessed !!! keep on creating your wonders!!! never stop believing in all that is good!!!! mahalo!!! ~Kaikala

[ Edited by: kaikala on 2004-06-13 08:12 ]

Tom, truly BEAUTIFUL WORK! Breathtaking! Wowzers!

You have a beautiful style! :) I am beyond impressed.

~Lenore Shaffer

O

wow, great work, exceptional, great detail

Pages: 1 21 replies