Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My First Tiki Carving. New one on Pg. 3

Pages: 1 35 replies

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2006-05-21 10:21 ]

Awesome first efforts.

B

Look how buch better you got after the first one. Lookin good.

C

Lookin pretty damn good. Nice job on both thoses dudes.
Chongolio

M
motiki posted on Sat, May 8, 2004 8:31 PM

That is lookinging pretty sweet for your first shot.

Lookin' good!

Don't put those chisels down yet, keep 'em coming!

Nice work! All you need to do is work some angles in there and get your cuts deep and you're there! The deeper the better!

I can't believe those were your first! Can I buy one of yer future chislementations?

Here is #3

and here will be #4 when i finish. this one is 5'1".

[ Edited by: tikimecula on 2004-05-30 13:31 ]

[ Edited by: tikimecula on 2004-05-30 13:34 ]

B

Lookin gooder and gooder. you are getting a nice smoothe rounded finish, I Like it....

Elvis Tiki! Classic!

Here he is finished. Still need to clean up a couple of spots, and stain him.

great cuts! what type of wood is that?

Woah! You got it, bro! THat one is GREAT! Great detail, composition and cuts. Keep it up!

It is Eucalyptus. That is all i can get my hands on right now? not the best carving wood, but i guess it's good for practice.

Andy

T

Tikiriffic!!!!!!!

Toa

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-10-06 12:12 ]

Eucalyptus looks like it has a nice tight grain, good for showing details. Does any of the wood have a "twisted" grain? Many Eucalyptus trees seem to have some kind of twist in the way the tree grows, it's probably just in the bark but I'd love to see a Tiki that twists around the piece of wood in a situation like that.

Here it is in the yard all finished up.

Here are 2 more i made. going to a luau / b-day party today for 2 of my friends so these will be there gifts (Can't have a luau without some tiki guys)

Andy

Really nice job. I would have never guessed that those were your first attempts at carving. I haven't tried any poles yet, but I did do a couple of plaques that turned out so so. Keep it up, you get better and better.

Nice stuff...I like number 4...full body is cool. Good work!

G

congrats! looks like you got da carvers bug! keep it up and in a few years peopo will be calling you da master carver from Temecula!

F

Man, you chiseller's blow me away! I wish I had some disposible income.

Thanks for the support Bk & Gecko. Means lot coming from you two! Doing 2 more right now will post when completed.

wow!!! WOW!!!! But you have carved before, right? Because for a first timer, that is GOOD! Faboo!

Your second attempt, so far is my favorite. Hes got such a great personality! My favorite tikis are the ones that just scream of personality. Like they could just start talking to you at any moment, grunting and such, and you can almost imagine exactly what they would say. :wink: lol!

Keep it up! They are amazing!

~Lenore Shaffer

O

good job, i like the one with the body, really looks cool. the other two with the black parts really helps the tikis stand out.

Very nice work! You are a natural. Myself, being a sculptor for years, I have never tried wood carving. It looks like a lot of hard work and fun! Keep posting pics. I can't wait to see your future work. Do some scary tikis, like in Disneylands Enchanted Tiki Room. That WOOD be cool!!

Started a new one finally!

[ Edited by: tikimecula on 2004-09-24 16:04 ]

ooohhh....
it's like a tiki nutcracker - only for skulls!

lookin' good! seems like you got bit with the carvin' bug...

Great job on your first tikis! I'm looking to carve my first.... I live in Menifee. Any idea where I can get some wood locally???

PalangiGirl,
I have a few logs I could spare to get you started, if your interested?

[ Edited by: tikimecula on 2004-10-10 22:48 ]

On 2004-05-08 12:53, tikimecula wrote:
After looking at what you guys have done i decided to give it a try myself. here is my first try.

and my second try.

]

[ Edited by: tikimecula on 2004-09-22 21:33 ]

Tikimecula,

I love the exotic finish on these! What type of wood/finish did you use for these first 2? Are these eucalyptus like the full-body one? Did you use wood-burning techniques? All of these are magnificent! Keep up the good work!

-FB

I Agree. They have a nice burnished aged look, and great choice of color. Can you share your technique and the produts that you used? I've gotten lots of great advice, but have no real experience finishing wood. Just about to stain my first. Do tell!

Finaly got around to finishing thiis guy. Just need to Poly him up outside he goes.

B

Hey TikiMec, looks like you have quite a bit of talent. Keep'em coming. Excellent for your first few.

Nice work! I like the way the inside of the mouth and eyes dissapear into black.

Pages: 1 35 replies