Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

i've created a new drink

Pages: 1 14 replies

I call it the "frozen tiki fizz"

now i'm pretty plowed right now, so I'll try to explain it a bit.

I have a plastic tiki tumbler (16oz) that needed a good breaking in, so while rumaging through the bar I decided to create a new drink for these hot muggy days here in north Texas.

When i create i don't measure.
The drink consists of filling the tumbler half full of sherbert (mixed fruit/citrus or orange it don't matter).
Then pour some malibu rum (oh about 5 secs worth)
then a splash of capt. morgan's silver rum (about 3 secs)
Then fill the rest up SLOWLY with some warm 7-up. The sherbert will cool the drink
Watch out he'll spew over if you go too fast
Stir and enjoy. I'm on my 4th and i'm having difficulty typing. I would recomend someone with a lower tollerance to use an 8oz glass/tumbler. Man it sure is hitting the spot. I'l glad I skipped lodge tonight.

Hey Unkle John,
seemed like this is a good thread that you have started to post drinks that TC members have developed, vs. drinks posted pulled from guides.
this one came together in honor of Miles Thompson's Surf Creature painting, at the request of my fiancee.

the Surf Creature

1 1/2 oz Vodka (for this drink, stay away from potato based vodka)
1/2 teaspoon creme de banana
1/2 teaspoon blue curacao
2-3drops of heavy whipping creme
1 teaspoon unsweetened pineapple juice
1 tablespoon blueberry liqueur
a splash of soda water
3-4 blueberries

previous to making this cocktail, take standard size martini glasses and swirl in a teaspoon of pineapple juice like you would with vermouth, but instead of pouring out the excess, allow the remainder to drop to the bottom. place glasses in freezer until juice is solidly frozen.
shake all ingredients (including soda water), except blueberries, with ice. pull glass out of freezer and pour in drink. drop in blueberries. garnish with a piece of pineapple, on its side like a surf board, with 3 blueberries stacked and speared upright for the rider, or use a pink colored cocktail sugar rim.

my fiancee loves the flavored cocktail sugars, so for her i rimmed this cocktail with the pink, which happens to match the color of the creatures lips in the painting.
midway through the drink the pineapple juice "bottom" floats up, which with the blueberries has a lava lamp or ocean bottom kind of feel.

this cocktail is kind of strong, but does not come off sickingly sweet like a lot of modern "flavored" martinis, which utilize a lot of flavored fruit liqueurs, as made by a lot of bartenders.

Hawaiian Ginger Twist

1 3/4 oz vodka
3/4 oz lt. Puerto Rican rum
1 oz unsweetened pineapple juice
3/4 oz spicy ginger syrup
1/2 oz lime juice

fill mug 3/4 full with crushed ice. mix all ingredients and pour into mug. garnish with sliver of fresh ginger speared to a lime wedge. optional, use cocktail parasol as spear.
spicy and sweet like my wahine!

this recipe accompanies the `Ona Tiki Coltrane mug.
i will post how to make my spicy ginger syrup under a syrup thread. It makes the drink.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=625&forum=10&vpost=93003
(Thank you Utopiandreem for the tech note)

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-05-27 08:10 ]

On 2004-05-26 17:39, tikitanked wrote:
Hey Unkle John,
seemed like this is a good thread that you have started to post drinks that TC members have developed, vs. drinks posted pulled from guides.

Even another thread, "How many drinks have you invented tonight,and are you sober enough to post them?". :)

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-05-27 01:07 ]

D

They all sound luscious,but if I drank any of those with any regularity,I'd be 300 pounds!

Unga
pointing out my engrish there was good!

the Bad Engrish

1 oz recipe book-style english grammar
3/4 oz middle shelf english grammar
a splash of dyslexia
mix in a tired blender
** garnish with an overtired lack of wit

I wish i was drunk when I wrote that, but alas, i am still unable to drink. I have 3-4 months before I can enjoy a cocktail. BLOODY HELL!

I'm a big gin fan, but don't see it in very many tropical drinks. Anybody have any favorite tropical drinks that include gin?

Today is my b-day and the wife got me a funky set of cocktail glasses I'm dieing to try out!

On 2004-05-27 08:38, finkdaddy wrote:
I'm a big gin fan, but don't see it in very many tropical drinks. Anybody have any favorite tropical drinks that include gin?

Today is my b-day and the wife got me a funky set of cocktail glasses I'm dieing to try out!

happy bday! you gotcher self one of them 'cool' wives! :)

finkdaddy, the recipe on this board for the fogcutter has 1/2 oz gin, but you can't taste it terribly. when i tried it first with bombay sapphire the gin flavor totally overpowered the drink. since then i have tried it with bottom-shelf gin ansd it's closer. also this recipe has been problematic to get authentic tasting - according to willtiki i may have to up the orgeat ante.

a not-necessarily tiki drink that i have not yet tasted but want to try is the 'jasmine' per http://www.drinkboy.com/Cocktails/recipes/Jasmine.html. it apparently tastes like grapefruit but actually contains no grapefruit. cool or what!

Jasmine
1 1/2 ounces gin
1 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce Campari
1/2 ounce lemon juice

Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

Created by: Paul Harrington

Thanks Johnny Dollar! I dig Campari too, so that should be a good one. I'm getting together with friends for my b-day this weekend, and I'm hoping to score a copy of The Grog Log. I've certainly dropped all the proper hints! And yeah, I have one of the cooler wives you'll every find.

Finkdaddy,
Happy Birthday! Definitely try out some of the Grog Log drinks, but please report back here if you develop any new gin drinks to note. Hopefully this thread becomes the place for experimenters and diehards to share and test recipes out on fellow TC members.
Have a good one this weekend.
TT

Will do, Tikitanked. I'm experimenting as we speak. I like this thread too, hope it sticks around for a while.

maybe someone can do the link thing again, just saw the posting for Ran AKA kick the reverb's the Reverb Crash.
looks good, will have to try it out on the fiancee.

The Reverb Crash

4 Oz Grapefruit Juice
1.5 Oz Passion Fruit Syrup
.75 Oz Fresh Lime Juice
.75 Spoon (Not Oz!!) Orgeat Syrup*
1 Oz Light Rum (Cuban or Virgin Island)
1 Oz Myers's Dark Jamaican Rum

Put in a shaker with half a cup of crushed ice, shake well and put in a Tiki mug - I guess a 14-16 Oz one , add crushed Ice to fill. Garnish with, eh- I dunno - half a grapefruit, ok, no - with a mint sprig.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-05-27 12:05 ]

On 2004-05-27 12:03, tikitanked wrote:

looks good, will have to try it out on the fiancee.

wine is fine, but liquor is quicker :)

I went out to the Chart House last night for drinks and salad bar. While there I had a "Tropical Martini". Anyway, went to the store and have tried to re-create it. Not sure if its a new or old drink but it was tasty.
2 oz. vodka
2 oz. mango juice
1 oz. cointreau
shake 'em up in an ice filled shaker, strain and pour into a cocktail glass...garnish with an orange slice and cherry.
Aloha.

On 2004-05-27 08:45, Johnny Dollar wrote:
a not-necessarily tiki drink that i have not yet tasted but want to try is the 'jasmine' per http://www.drinkboy.com/Cocktails/recipes/Jasmine.html. it apparently tastes like grapefruit but actually contains no grapefruit. cool or what!

Jasmine
1 1/2 ounces gin
1 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce Campari
1/2 ounce lemon juice

Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

Created by: Paul Harrington

DAMN! It does taste like grapefruit! My girlfriend thinks I'm a master mixologist!

Um... here's one for anyone. When a drink calls for brandy, what do YOU use?

Thanks for a GREAT drink recipe (just like ruby grapefruit!) and thanks to any answers to my brandy question.

(Hmmm, if I were to ask another question in the future it would probably be who makes the best liqueurs for mixing (if you can't find Marie Brizzard) Bols, Hiram Walker, LeRoux, Boulaine or DeKuyper... if I were to ask.)

Pages: 1 14 replies