Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Spokane Friday-Saturday

Pages: 1 8 replies

S

Hey kids, Pea's headin' to the inland empire with her mom this weekend. I'll have a bit of time for shopping or tiki hunting, or mai tai sippin. Is there anything there I shouldnt miss? I'm thinkin of takin a thermos full of mai tais since we are stayin at the Shilo in, and there's a nice pool in their atrium. maybe some headphones with a hawaiian cd. heehehe, pretend I'm in the tropics at least. hahahaha
Muchas Gracias and all that

M

Sorry pea, Portland is the happenin' spot cause Mr Smileyz in da house!!!! :)

S

Yeah, i know, once again, I'm gonna miss
Smiley, AND Portland.
Dammit.
Is there anything even NON tiki I should see, or maybe a cute store... I'm sure I'll end up at Riverfront Park for part of a day. The lilac parade is on Saturday night, should I bother going?
Are there any Spokane folks here?
Bueller? Bueller?

T

There's some good info here, in case you don't have the Roadtrip USA book:

http://www.roadtripusa.com/us_2/washington.html

The remnants of the 1974 World's Fair in Riverfront Park, a 1929 terra cotta tiled Montgomery Ward's building that's now City Hall, and the Bing Crosby museum sound interesting.

The Garland Theatre also might be well worth a stop to see a movie:

http://www.spokanecitysource.com/client/garlandTheatre/

How about a diner inside a giant milk bottle! All I know is it's at the corner of Garland and Wall streets.

Here's a good list of places to eat. They sure have a lot of diners in Spokane! I would check out Knights diner as I read on a web site that they opened in 1949 and haven't changed much.

http://www.spokanehomebuyers.com/meals.html

I found all this online. I love doing this kind of research. Now I wish I was going to Spokane! Have fun pea.

S

Jab, yer welcome to come along another time... this time is mainly a family reunion for my dads side of the family that I havent seen in almost 10 years. Gonna be kinda icka. I plan on trying for some good thrift stores. hahaha, funny you mention the worlds fair stuff, hahaha, I was there when it was going on.
I'll check the links.
Pea

T

*On 2004-05-12 17:05, sweetpea wrote:*hahaha, funny you mention the worlds fair stuff, hahaha, I was there when it was going on.

Wow! My parents went to the Seattle Worlds Fair, but I was only an infant so I didn't go! These might bring back memories:

http://expomuseum.com/1974/

S

hahah, Crazy!
yeah, I was like 6, and I remember
this one building we went in and there was some cool 3-d thing. Don't remember details, just remember it was freaky. hahaha

(Speaking of all the ha-ha-has-! I was reading this thread and saw the milk bottle post but not the poster, and thought "That seems like thejab" and SURPRISE-! Well, I laughed. And that's all that matters.)

As I may or may have not splained to Miss 'Pea while fairly smashed at the Roy Kay Trio* CD release party at the Tractor last week (where, I must add, Miss 'Pea looked so fine one could only say "Fabulous!" if one was the sort to say that kinda thing. Which I ain't. But the wine in me is.), Spokane is a swell and weird city yet seems to lack anything particular of interest. My last visit there (two falls ago for mom's cancer surgery...She LIVED! And is doing Grrrrrreat-!) I poured over the town for any cool Chinese restaurants or something vaguely Tiki and came up empty. The one thing I can reccomend in Spokane is the Dicks drive in which is NOT like the Dick's in Seattle. Other than that just wander around and enjoy the weird vibe which gets you thinkin' "David Lynch should make a movie here."

*If yer at all a fan of well crafted basic classic straight forward country/rockabilly check out the Roy Kay Trio. Buy both their albums, 2002's "Wanderin' Mind" and the brand new "Knockin' Em Back". Muy excellent. And their really great live, if yer so damned lucky.

W

woofmutt wrote:

I poured over the town for...something vaguely Tiki and came up empty.

Well, woofmutt was wrong. There is the Trade Winds motel (I think that's the name) at 907 W 3rd AVE, right off I-90 (I think that's the freeway) which has a big plastic sign with an interesting modified Moai on it. The lobby has some modern quasi-Tiki stuff but it was all brought in by a current manager.

And Miss 'Pea, if you're bored with family and it's too early to drink and your're up for a bit of sleuthing you could try to find the location of the Polynesia (Book of Tiki, page 177). But Expo '74 is easier to find.

Pages: 1 8 replies