Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

New Dino CD comp 6/1/04

Pages: 1 11 replies

On June 1, a new, comprehensive CD comp of the King of Cool's greatest from several eras is being released from EMI/Capitol:

Dino: The Essential Dean Martin brings together, for the first time ever, 30 of Martin’s chart-topping hits from both his Capitol Records (1949-1961) and Reprise Records (1960-1969) repertoire. Included is the #1 single "Everybody Loves Somebody", the song that knocked the Beatles "A Hard Days Night" from the top in August 1964, and perennial favorites "That’s Amore","Ain’t That A Kick In the Head","Volare" and many more of Dino’s all-time best.

I'll be hosting a release party and giving away copies at The Conga Lounge in Oakland on Saturday, June 5, 9PM, no cover - exotic drinks and DJ lounge music, too. http://www.congalounge.com cheers!

Fine musical taste, AquaZombie. I have a ton of his tunes on vinyl. I need to get some of his CDs. "Memories Are Made of This" is a favorite of mine along with his Italian Love Songs. I used to enjoy those old "Matt Helm" movies he did. When he died, I was as sick as a dog and running a high fever, and my wife said that I was in a dead sleep and mumbling something about Dean Martin being a "friend of mine." I've always had great respect for him as an artist.

i'll drink a scotch to that, pally!

True Dino fans probably already have all these songs on vinyl and CD, but the unique thing about this comp is you get the Capitol and Reprise stuff all in one place. Of course you could burn that yourself, as I have, but hey - they asked me to help promote this baby, so I am! Personally I always like having the cool packaging, too.

My pal Robert Ensler (who was minister at our wedding as "Reverend Dino"!) sells a lot of cool Dino stuff from his site,
http://www.deanmartin.com

"The Silencers" - the first Matt Helm flick - in currently on DVD from Sony but none of the three sequels are as of yet, I'll let you cats know what I know as soon as I know it. Salud!

Well, I just rented the "The Silencers" on DVD. I know the "Matt Helm" series were cheesy, but I liked them.
Some great sound tracks too.

Dean with Stella Stevens (The Silencers)

Here is an album I found by accident,recorded by some hippies in the sixties.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-05-13 13:05 ]

S

I'll be there! No, wait. I am in TN. I won't be there....

Great pics, Unga. You're right - those movies may have been corny, but they were cool as well. I always remembered when Matt Helm opened his trunk, and an inflatable tent automatically came out and inflated by itself. Inside was a cool bachelor pad complete with furniture and a bar, I believe.

S

Ah, my own nerdy little area of trivia. From the Spy Bop Royale website if anyone's interested:

The Silencers" (1966) a score by Elmer Bernstein (LP only) with a couple of good vocals by Vicci Carr (who did the singing for Cyd Charisse in the film). Two versions of the vocal theme were released. A slower version can be found on the "Spy Magazine Presents Spy Music" CD on the Rhino label.

There is a second LP (also on CD now) for the Silencers, but it's mostly Dean Martin singing. There are a couple of instrumentals (alledgedly from the film) and a nice version of the theme.

The second in the series was "Murderers' Row" (1966). This time Lalo Schifrin provided a great spy score that's just begging for a CD release.

The next two flicks,"The Ambushers" (1967) and "The Wrecking Crew" (1969) were scored by Hugo Montenegro. The only tune released for "The Ambushers" (1967) was on the B side of a single from Boyce and Hart. It may be included on a Boyce and Hart CD.

If anyone has any other info, let me know!

A

Here's the Dean Martin Silencers LP...

-Randy

you know i got dat album!!!

weired piece of info ~ i think it's true ~ that the wrecking crew was the last american film sharon tate was in. i also think it was the first film chuck norris was in.

mahalo pallies, j$

I mentioned in my thread about my recent Mexican vacation that we visited Las Brisas Hotel in Acapulco where Dino shot "The Ambushers" and it is a pastel Shag painting frozen in time, with the best view of Acapulco Bay from their restaurant, called Bellvista. Each cabin has its own little pool, too. We plan to stay there next time we go to Acapulco. You could still feel that swingin' '60s spies 'n' thighs vibe, and it's a highly recommended destination if you're ever down that far South of the Border.

i loved how dino pronounced it "alcapul-kuh."

Pages: 1 11 replies