Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

seeking alaskan totem poles

Pages: 1 7 replies

if this is in the wrong category, I appologize...

When i was young my father would travel on buisness to Alaska, and then come back through Hawaii (they had a special pacific rim fare). He would bring back these cool souvenir alaskan totem poles, about a foot tall. I have three of them, and was looking for more.

I've checked through the a couple of different search engines, and the best i can come up with is people bemoaning their existence. Does anyone know of a site that might sell these?

Thanks,
the wayward one

I think the connection between Tiki and the West Coast Canadian totem pole (et al) is crystal clear and it baffles me why so little thought or kudos is given over to what's there in Canada.

Those little totem poles appear in flea markets, etc all over the world. (Ie. I've seen them here in England) They aren't particularly rare but then again, neither were Tiki mugs a few years ago...

Trader Woody

You are talking to the right person!! I live in Victoria, BC and we happen to live off the tourist industry. We have first nations carvers lined up in our inner harbor carving all sorts of totems and such, and stores galore! If you want something similar to what you already have, just send me an image, I'm SURE to find a match! I work right downtown amongst dozens of stores full of first nations artwork. Cowichan Indian sweaters? you got it! There is even a hapa wood equivalent for little totem poles!
How can I help?! :)

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-12 16:32 ]

J

I recently found a multi-colored souvenir totem from Fairbanks at the local thrift store. It's about 18 inches tall and it looked so cool I had to buy it! I have it sitting on a bookcase in my living room but would be willing to part with it for the right price! :wink: PM me!

Thanks to all those who replied. From the word tlingit i was able to find a page of alaskan languages which lead to more searches which lead me to believe that i'm looking for totem poles of the Haida style. I've found a couple of sites that sell some but not exactly the same as the ones i already have. When i can get a digital camera i will try to post pics of these poles, and you can see what i'm trying to describe. Thanks again for the help.

On 2004-05-12 16:13, Tikiwahine wrote:
You are talking to the right person!! I live in Victoria, BC

Have you ever heard Nomeansno's version of the Kinks's classic 'Victoria' altered to reflect their feelings about their home town?

It's a stone-cold classic.
Trader Woody

On 2004-05-21 14:57, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2004-05-12 16:13, Tikiwahine wrote:
You are talking to the right person!! I live in Victoria, BC

Have you ever heard Nomeansno's version of the Kinks's classic 'Victoria' altered to reflect their feelings about their home town?

It's a stone-cold classic.
Trader Woody

No, but now I have to hear it! :)
Thanks!

-Tikiwahine

Pages: 1 7 replies