Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I think I just won one of the ugliest mugs every

Pages: 1 31 replies

What do you think. I've got to stop drinking before looking for deals on ebay

Powerofthetiki

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2133846670&rd=1

:lol: :sheckymug: :drink:

H

Hoowee! That's awful. What is that thing? And why does it have breasts? It looks like something you'd find the the gift shop outside the Country Bear Enchanted Tiki Tiki Jamboree.

It looks like something I would buy.

I think its nuts are showing

T

Yep, they look like 'em.

If I recall correctly tanku (sp) is a japanes raccoon, that has HUGE balls, it a popular animal and are used as statue greeters into certan towns and they too show the balls, I think there also good luck.

I am sorry guys, but I have to react to this...
Ugly or not, this is NOT A TIKI MUG! Please do no use the wrong terminology just because e-bay dealers slap Tiki on things like this to get clicks:
Does it look like a Tiki? NO
Was it used in Polynesian Bars? NO (Japanese restaurants)

Yes, it is a theme mug, made by Daga, a Tiki mug manufacturing company, but that alone does not make it a Tiki mug. Tiki mugs are sculpted in the Tiki likeness, very simple.

And than there are Skull mugs, Dr. Funk mugs, Rum Barrels, Hula girl mugs, etc. that because they were made for and used in Tiki restaurants maybe can be referred to as belonging to the Tiki mug genre, but I draw the line at purely Chinese and other theme mugs.

Yes TIKI MUG is the wrong terminology. But like I said I got to slow down on the Drinking. Why would anybody buy this thing

:drink:

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-08-26 05:35 ]

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-08-26 05:36 ]

T

It's a simple case of BWI. Bidding while intoxicated BigBro. Power and I were at a Elks club Luau earlier that night.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2002-08-26 12:55 ]

You know what, I just realized that YOU guys actually never called it a TIKI mug in your posts....
My apologies, you are forgiven, I guess it is a touchy issue with me!

M

Still got to go with Kon-Tiki Ports mug for the homliest thing ever produced, Tiki mug-wise. I am stuck alone in some foreign land, some scary outpost, savages and ne'er do wells abound? That little beast is going with me, just to scare the bad guys away.

Nothing done on a commecial scale, I have seen some home-made mugs make a train jump its track, will eclipse that mug for ugliness. Nothing!

midnite

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Aug 26, 2002 4:37 PM

I thought my uncle's Ricky's Poi soup was bad...hehe
I seen that at the Pearl City swap meet for about 4 weeks straight. Everytime I passed it I said "DAM, thats still here" I'm gonna see if that little Korean woman still has it this weekend. Sorry bro, I'll send you some of uncle Ricky's famous poi soup to make u feel better! maybe you can sip it out of your new mug.. ewwww hehe just kiddin!
DON'T SHOP HUNGRY OR DRUNK!
ALOHA
Gecko

Remember, it's not a matter of 'winning' an ebay bid, but rather a matter of a willingness to pay more than anyone else!

Ahhhhhhhhh yes but when I sit it on the outside Tiki Bar and deck It will give everyone something to talk and laugh about.
Well That's what I keep telling myself

:lol: :drink:

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-08-26 19:56 ]

Power said "It will give everyone something to talk and laugh about".

ABSOLUTELY!

I have passed up on about 5 of these on my various thrift store excursions between Columbus and Cincinnati. Now that I realize that there are people out there who will actually buy them, I'm reconsidering.
Wait a minute...how many people DID bid on that item anyway?

Power - more of it to ya!
You gotta have some balls when you can admit to buying an ugly mug with 'em, right!?

ENJOY!
:sheckymug:

I was the one and only bid. Don't judge what people will by by me. I have a sick sense of humour

:drink: :lol:

T

It's not the same. It's not easy being me

:tiki:

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-08-27 10:19 ]

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-08-30 10:37 ]

T

I wonder if that second seller is throwing in the flag. Very patriotic. And it's nice to see that regardless of what you enter as your search criteria, their description line covers JUST about any possible matches....

Frightening. Just frightening.

To quote the description...

"GREAT big balls and a teeny tiny penis. (gay interest)"

Yes. Because anything with a visible penis, even a 'teeny tiny' one, becomes "Gay interest" on Ebay.

As much as I love Ebay-- its a very twisted world.

eric

ok, i think this may actually qualify as the ugliest TIKI mug ever...

clearly an amateur cast made from a mold of an al harrington mug - this thing weighs over a pound! the walls of the mug are about 1/2" thick...

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2010-01-04 07:21 ]

Haha, the mugs in the background look they are saying (deep voice, tom tom sound):

"He ugly! Not one of us! He is cast out from the tribe!"

Poor guy! He sure is an ugly duckling!

Looks like it would be useful as a hammer, though. That's the THICKEST mug I've ever seen!

perhaps it would be useful for drinking-based aerobic workouts?

"mai tai-bo?"

HEY!!! I MADE THAT MUG!!! :evil:

Just kidding! :lol:

TS

I'm pretty sure I have everyone beat, IF we are not competing with Party City mass produced garbage....If we are talking "Real Custom/One-of-a-kind mugs,(you know why when you see them!) I ask you....Who thinks they can beat a Moai mug in which someone thought it would be cute to cover in a "seagull shit white" over brown glaze? and the same maker decided on a Leper Moai, tan color with "open sore red" as its underlying color?.....Soo ugly, that i bought these hobbyist "brother" mugs just to win the non-existent "Fugly Mugly" contests! :lol:

All hail king birdshitoai!

L

On 2010-01-06 22:56, Tom Slick wrote:

All hail king birdshitoai!

Not bad, not bad at all there Tom.

Birdshitoai has a nice ring to it!

Leper Moai :lol: :lol: :lol:

I

I actually like that look - I will call it the 'weathered' look. It reminds me of a fallen tree that has been lying on the forest floor, and has all sorts of fungi, decomposing leaves, and other growth on it. Or an old sunken pirate ship, with all sorts of barnacles that may eventually threaten to overwhelm it.

For me, it captures the look-and-feel between the 'perfection' when a mug is newly made, and the final destructive 'dust-to-dust' moment when it is finally broken into small pieces of clay - but right now, it maintains its recognizable Moai form.

In that sense, it reminds me of an old googie space-age sign that sits rusted, somewhat neglected, over a storefront that has been empty for 20 years. A sign that had a glorious past, but yet holds on, not ready to give in and collapse just yet. Some people see it and think "tear that ugly thing down', while others may shout 'Restore it to its previous glory', and others just kind of secretly admire it as it is now.

T

The animal being referred to is a Tanuki, a real Japanese raccoon-like critter. In Japanese mythology, male tanuki have huge, magical balls. Really. Check out the anime film "Pom Poko", where you'll see tanuki doing things with 'em. Surprisingly, Disney did no censoring when releasing the dubbed version. I didn't see the mug, so I'll take your word that it was ugly; however, I highly doubt anything can beat "Moai with open sores". He's pretty revolting; if there's ever an Ugly Mugly contest, Tom Slick, you'll win paws-down. "Moai with bird droppings" is funny; some craft websites sell fairly realistic feathered birds with bendable talons, and I say you buy a raven or other avian critter and perch it atop the mug, as though it's been perched there a while. I'm reminded of the 70s mugs by a potter named Jim Rumph; my father's got two of these, and one is shaped like a knotty tree with a gruff-looking bird perched on the rim. Inside, in the bottom, sits a little troll making a "Mr. Yuk" face, with a white mess on his head. Google Rumph and you'll find photos, it's apparently called the "Splatter Bird" tankard. Not Tiki, but funny, and not even his best work, from what I've seen.

U

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've definetely seen worse!

Pages: 1 31 replies