Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

I named my bar what?

Pages: 1 8 replies

I just named my bar Tuna Bathroom. Ahi Lua.
It's supposed to be Fire Crater. Ahi (Fire) or wait, look again at that other internet Hawaiian glossary, 'Ahi (Tuna). Lua (crater, hole,... bathroom.) This is what happens, I guess, when you use a language with a 12 letter alphabet. Bottoms up.

K
Kim posted on Thu, May 13, 2004 12:28 PM

That's hilarious! I guess you should have gone with the Spider Hole (Lanalana Puka) after all—though that could have another meaning too!

Photos of the Tuna Bathroom are available for your viewing pleasure at http://www.nwtiki.com/AhiLua.html !

[ Edited by: Kim on 2004-05-14 12:44 ]

[ Edited by: Kim on 2004-05-14 12:44 ]

Several years back Hawaii had one of those fly by night hostess bars that it's so famous for called "Hale Okole" (or ass house) One day I hope to have a sandblasted sign surrounded by hybiscus flower with this name.

B

On 2004-05-13 12:48, naugatiki wrote:
Several years back Hawaii had one of those fly by night hostess bars that it's so famous for called "Hale Okole" (or ass house) One day I hope to have a sandblasted sign surrounded by hybiscus flower with this name.

The seat covers in my car are made by the wet suit company "Wet Okole"

The Hawaiian language is ripe with inference and allusion. Many meanings are inferred and it takes something of a cultural understanding to pick up on them.

It's also horribly mis-punctuated. The absense of an okina ('), such as the one that should be in the word Hawai'i, or the absense of a macron changes the meaning of words completely.

A lanai is a patio, but Lana'i is an island.

DZ

I always thought "Lua" meant "second".

Hmmm... guess I've been calling my younger brother (the second of three of us) the wrong thing all these years...

S
SES posted on Thu, May 13, 2004 10:13 PM

On 2004-05-13 17:18, Doctor Z wrote:
I always thought "Lua" meant "second".

Hmmm... guess I've been calling my younger brother (the second of three of us) the wrong thing all these years...

I just looked it up in my dictionary:

Lua - n. a hole, a second, an equal, a companion

Lua - adj. two, second

Lua - n. the art of breaking the bones of a person

and right after those are:

Luahine - n. an old woman
Lua'i - v. to vomit
Luakaha - v. to have dwelt long in a place
Luakini - n.an ancient temple
Lualua - adj. rough , uneven
Lu'alu'a - adj. limber, flexible, flimsy
Luana - v. to live in idleness
Luaole - adj.matchless, best
Luapele - n. a volcano
Luau - n. the leaf of the taro, a feast
Luau'i - n. a parent
Luawai - n. a well, cistern

Lua, when it refers to a hole, is a crater or a hole with a bottom. Puka is a bottomless hole or perferation.
Checking yet another glossary lua was defined as fun. Ahi Lua = pyromania? I may not understand the language it but it sure sounds nice.

Hale Lua'i :)

Pages: 1 8 replies