Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: The Reverb Crash (First Drink Forum Post)

Pages: 1 16 replies

M

I have deflowered this forum!

I thought it might be nice to start with the drink that won our little Tiki Central Drink Contest a while back. From our very own kick_the_reverb, AKA Ran:

The Reverb Crash

4 Oz Grapefruit Juice
1.5 Oz Passion Fruit Syrup
.75 Oz Fresh Lime Juice
.75 Spoon (Not Oz!!) Orgeat Syrup*
1 Oz Light Rum (Cuban or Virgin Island)
1 Oz Myers's Dark Jamaican Rum

Put in a shaker with half a cup of crushed ice, shake well and put in a Tiki mug - I guess a 14-16 Oz one , add crushed Ice to fill. Garnish with, eh- I dunno - half a grapefruit, ok, no - with a mint sprig.

• You can use more Orgeat if you want - it depends how strong the taste of the syrup is. The idea is to just feel a bit of it. I used Monin brand which is very strong.

[edited by hanford to change the subject!]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-05-17 16:54 ]

Ran himself mixed one of these for me at Oasis IV and it was spectacular! My new favorite drink!

V

Are you using fresh grapefruit juice or bottled is fine ??

V

and is it with pink grapefruit or yellow ??

T

Kick The Reverb and his lovely Mrs. offered my wife and I one at Oasis during Firsherman's set. It was an unexpected surprise and it rocked. I can't wait to mix up my own. Thanks again.

P

mmm... drinking one right now.

Very piquant- kind of reminds me of a drink called "Winter Glass" that has essence of cucumber and Pimms in it.

Good job, Ran.

S

Okay, I'm anal. How big is this "spoon" for the Orgeat? tablespoon? Gimme a clue!

Very tasty!
I tried my first this afternoon.

Had a can of frozen grapefruit juice waiting for a drink to be made with it, man it's gonna make a LOT of drinks!

Everyone I know is away for the weekend, so I guess it's just me and my reverb crashes!
:drink:

P.S. I used a 1/4 oz of orgeat, wich is probably about a teaspoon. Couldn't be bothered to get out a spoon to measure, and had the shot glass right there.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-15 15:46 ]

Martiki - thanks for bringing this up, and thanks for the compliments everyone.
Now for the questions:

Virani - The first time I made it, I used grapefruit juice from the chilled section of the store, and not from concentrate.
That's what I prefer to use, as it also has pulp in it, which adds to the texture.
When I made it here for the first time, I tried Ruby Red (again, not from concentrate), and I liked it even more because of the slightly more bitter taste, and the interesting color.
Yes - you can use juice from concentrate, but I think it tastes better with the store bought "fresh squeezed" variety.

Swanki - I meant tablespoon, and I used a measuring spoon for that.
Keep in mind that if you're using Trader Vic's Orgeat, you can probably go to 1 table spoon. Don't let the Orgeat overpower drink, but use it in a quantity that's enough to notice.

Now - when I made the first drink, I didn't really think about the garnishes too much, but since I can get mint at the produce store pretty cheap now, I use a LOT of mint so that you really smell it while drinking.

When I made one for Poly-pop I didn't have a straw to give him, and he told me afterwards that it was even better that way because of the scent of the mint.
I suggest you use a short straw that "forces" you to smell the mint up close.

Mahalo, and have fun drinking it,

Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb on 2004-05-17 15:32 ]

On 2004-05-16 15:53, kick_the_reverb wrote:
When I made one for Poly-pop I didn't have a straw to give him, and he told me afterwards that it was even better that way because of the scent of the mint.
I suggest you use a short straw that "forces" you to smell the mint up close.

I agree. This drink is best with your nose buried in the mint as you drink it. Ran put A LOT of mint (a small bushel if you will) as a garnish. In my opinion, this is a huge part of this drink's character!

Thought I'd bring up this 5 year old thread and just ask... I plan on making these tonight, Should I buy a bottle of passion fruit syrup to mix with these or would passion fruit juice, kinda like pog work??
They sound very tasty...

BB

H

On 2009-09-23 18:36, Beachbumz wrote:
Thought I'd bring up this 5 year old thread and just ask... I plan on making these tonight, Should I buy a bottle of passion fruit syrup to mix with these or would passion fruit juice, kinda like pog work??
They sound very tasty...

BB

Use passion fruit syrup.

S

On 2009-09-23 18:36, Beachbumz wrote:
They sound very tasty...

BB

FYI, anything that says "syrup" is generally a flavored simple syrup. It is not just juice and often is far from just juice.
Orgeat Syrup
Almond Syrup
Vanilla Syrup
etc. are all mostly simple syrups, but have a degree of some flavor.

So I ended up using passion fruit jelly with a few table spoons of water to loosen it up a little... It came out actually very nice... I looked everywhere that night for the syrup but no luck... guess I'll have to head into town and get some and see what I was missing...
Thanks for the replies...

BB

H

Thanks for bringing up this thread. I just made one of these with pink grapefruit juice and it was fantastic. I added a little lime juice to it because it was a little sweet and I needed an excuse to use fresh lime. I have a lime tree that is bursting with limes, and I just love adding fresh lime and mint to almost every tropical drink I make. Yummmy...
The first time I tasted this drink was on 2004 when Ran himself was serving them at a party, it was good then and it is good now.

Yea the Lime is a must... I went ahead and used the Ruby Red grapefruit juice to make up for not having the sweeter syrup and it was great, A sprig of mint and a short straw to get that mint in your face... hummmm..... It is Friday.... shoots!! going to have to pick up more limes for tonight :wink:

BB

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2009-09-25 19:48 ]

Just made one of these tonight. It's an excellent and complex drink. Nice work Ran!

Pages: 1 16 replies