Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Killing Magellan

Pages: 1 5 replies

A

Killing Magellan
Village Chieftain Lapu-Lapu raises his arms in triumph after killing Magellan during a re-enactment commemorating the 483rd anniversary of Magellan's death. Tuesdays event in the Phillipines highlights the first Filipino resistance to foreign invaders. AP photo

From Beachbum Berry's Grog Log
"Chief Lapu Lapu"

3 Oz orange juice
3 Oz sweet and sour
1 Oz passion fruit syrup
1 1/2 Oz dark Jamaican rum
1 1/2 Oz light Peurto Rican rum
Shake with ice cubes and pour into a large snifter partly filled with more ice cubes.

"circa 1950s. Who does a guy have to kill to get a drink named after him? In the case of Chief Lapu Lapu, it was a simple matter of wasting Magellan when the great Spanish navigator dropped anchor in the Phillipines in 1521"

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-05-13 18:33 ]

Al,
That guy who looks like he's waisted in the water, kinda looks like you. You sure that's not an old Tiki Oasis photo? (Time to buy a new hat,too) :)
I love knowing the history of a drink. THANKS!
Who makes a better Lapu Lapu, you or Bongster?

M

The Lapu Lapu really comes alive (much like Frampton) if you use fresh sweet and sour. About a hundred times better. I use a sweet & sour recipe I got from Al.

M

Lapu Lapu has got be one my top favorites from the Grog Log. As a matter of fact, I had one last night, served up in my Mr. Bali Hai mug....umm...tastey

And who can beat a drink named after a guy who clubbed a Conquistador on the gourd? At least that's what you'll feel like if you imbibe in too many.

I can relate...I felt clubbed (in a good way) after drinking one of Bong's Lapu Lapu. "Thank you sir may I have another...pleeze".

Pages: 1 5 replies