Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Been by Spencer Gifts Lately?

Pages: 1 30 replies

Ok, its is kinda cheap and cheesy... but they do have a crapload of tiki stuff now, including a not so sturdy built tiki bar. The Tiki Head with the simulated flame in his mouth is cool (just like the hanging cauldrens have the fan flame) And there are giant light up moai heads. Stop by to pick up some cheap stuff for a party... grass skirts, tiki coasters, plastic mugs... you can't miss it... its all in the front window of the store and in the inside front...

I just saw it all yesterday here in S. Cal. as well. A lot of it has the Spencer's brand too. Most of it was not my cup of tiki. There were also a bunch of the Marshall's/Ross tiki stuff at almost twice the price. I couldn't find the previous post about this, but the only thing I liked was the hand carved rack for necklaces they were selling. It's not for sale!

K
B

I picked up one of the "Flaming" Tiki's last weekend. But I decided to fix it up a bit. The flame was way to yellow for me, so I took a red sharpie to the Flame cloth, and painted the inside of the mouth with red spray paint. Then I masked off the openings and layed down some Flecstone. Cleans it up a little, but yeah, still kinda cheesey. And the fan is loud as hell!

Badmojo,
I have the same one. What I like about it is that it can be battery powered! When you have a party with some music going no one is even going to notice the fan. I plan on using it outside at my wedding. I like your alterations! The original brown colour is ok, and it blends in with my older mugs fairly well. I love your red inside, VERY cool!

Ah, sorry... Should've searched...
Refreshed the topic though...

Nice improvements Badmojo!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-05-14 12:03 ]

K
Kono posted on Tue, Jun 29, 2004 6:33 PM

Spencers has some tiki lava lamps now (they call them "Hot Rock Lamps"). At 25% off they ring up for $15. I don't care too much for most of their tiki stuff but these are pretty cool and I bought two. The style and material remind me of Treasure Craft.

They didn't have any of the tiki pens or volcano water pump that were mentioned in the other thread.

I just thought of a quieter replacement for the flame, try one of those mister foggers, you can get them with colored light or LEDs & they range in price from US$20 for a basic model up to US$135 for the super deluxe 5 head with multiple colored lights model.

K

IT'S ALL 50% OFF at my Spencer Gifts...except for the new lava lamps but I bought one anyway. I loaded up on tikiness. Got the smaller red moai for $25.00!

F

On 2004-05-13 23:34, spy-tiki wrote:
I just saw it all yesterday here in S. Cal. as well. A lot of it has the Spencer's brand too. Most of it was not my cup of tiki. There were also a bunch of the Marshall's/Ross tiki stuff at almost twice the price. I couldn't find the previous post about this, but the only thing I liked was the hand carved rack for necklaces they were selling. It's not for sale!

I fell in love with that same necklace rack. It looks so cool! I joked about buying just the rack, but they said I'd have to buy all the jewelry too. Oh well, I had to ask.

S

I hear Spencer's is having a 50% off sale on the tiki stuff right now.

TR

The Spencers at Laguna hills Mall has a Moai plug in light for about $125. It's approx 3' tall and is a translucent gold/yellow color.

T

I got that 3 foot jumbo Moai lamp for $59.00. (At lakeside mall in Michigan)Everything is half off so I took advantage. The best part was walking through the mall with it balanced on my shoulder with a smile from ear to ear. I got some pretty strange looks from the mall walkers. I had to walk through the marshell fields cosmetic dept too to get to my car. Even better was the drive by stares I would get since I put big Mr. Moai in my passanger seat (which took a little work). Get to Spencers now and take advantage. Original price for that thing is $180.00. I picked the red one.

F

It looks like Target is carrying some of the "retired" Spencer TIKI items from last year as well as the super-cool Hot Rocks lavalamp TIKI and a lot of other neat TIKI stuff.
The design of the Hot Rocks Tiki looks like the work of one of our fellow TC'rs!

K
Kono posted on Sat, Jul 17, 2004 9:08 PM

What do you call those glass globe things that have electrical bolts dancing around that react to the static electricity when you touch the glass? Whatever they're called they have a tiki version at Spencers. Not the Moai that was mentioned on another thread. This is a Hawaiian style tiki upon who's head rests a glass globe with the aforementioned dynamic electricity action. It's of the same design as the lava lamps and would complement a tiki lava lamp nicely. :)

The best part is that even though the "Electrostormball" (that's what the box says) is brand new stock, it rings up as "tiki" at the register and is thus 50% off ($10)! I got one for me and one for a friend.

TM

Just picked up the Tiki Light Up Sign at Spencer's (50% off), it was only $15. This sign is very cool...It is almost an exact replica of the old Pitcairn Hotel sign that used to be in Anaheim (see Book of Tiki page 202). Below is the Sencers sign and below that is the real deal.

T

i got the tiki lava lamp for $10 to go along with the one i got from target. i also got the moai stone lamp for $25. they had all of the tiki items for 50% off. pretty good prices.

Well, just called the Spencer's at Memorial City Mall here in Houston and the girl that answered spat out about 20 items they had! And, she said it was all 50% off.

Went and bought 2 Moais. The Moai stone lamp at 50% off and the Electra Moai.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/294857/DSC02686.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/294857/DSC02695.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/294857/DSC02690.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/294857/DSC02696.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/294857/DSC02709.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/294857/DSC02700.jpg

~ Max

[ Edited by: robotparts on 2004-07-20 23:29 ]

Y'know, those big moai lamps are 39" tall and flat at the top. That brings to mind the possibility of using two of them as front supports for a small bar with supports of equal height in the back corners. Can you see it?

TM

Just picked up a couple of the Lava Lamps....Cheesy, but cool.

T

tiki matt-which spencer's did you find the sign at? i was at the brea mall one on sunday and didn't see that there. maybe down at the block? i'd like to get that one for my place.

TM

tiki matt-which spencer's did you find the sign at? i was at the brea mall one on sunday and didn't see that there. maybe down at the block? i'd like to get that one for my place.

I got mine at The Block. You may want to call the one at the Lakewood mall, they may have some. I'm serious, it is a pretty cool sign! If you go to the Spencers website, you can see their locations...there's a few around us (North O.C.) Main Place Mall, Brea, Block, Westminster Mall. Goog Luck!

Thanks for the 50% off info! I dropped by Spencers today and picked up a "Tiki Electrostorm" for $10, a Tiki Drink Mix Kit (makes "The Hawaiian") for $6, and some hula girl string lights (around $6).

The Tiki Electrostorm:

The Tiki Drink Mix Kit:

Even at half-price, some of the other items are just too high a price.

Some more aquisitions from Spencers:

19" Moai ($25):

Tiki Bottle Opener ($4):

I hear and obey, master; yes, I WILL buy more new tiki stuff.

Neat pic, roboparts; welcome to Tiki Central.

K

Good God, this stuff is getting out of hand...

I went to the Spencers by where I live, and fortunately they were out of most everything I might have wanted. So I just walked out of the mall, and went and bought some Sailor Jerry's, and a bottle of Appleton.

It is a surreal thing to walk through a huge mall filled with people while the lyrics of International Noise Conspiracy are screaming in your head;

"We're up for sale! Evrything that we know is up for sale!"

I think I need to listen to that more often before I got near a consumer haven.

TG

Thanx for the welcome tikijackalope!

Well after seing all the cool tiki bars/rooms on the forum I decided to decorate one of my guest bedrooms with a tiki motif. It's looking great for a small room. The two Moais I got at Spencer's were my starting points.

Scored a 6 ft. tropical lamp with bamboo shade for the tiki room at under $40 at Garden Ridge Pottery during their twice a year 20 percent off sale this weekend. The lamp was alread discounted to 50% off and then I got the additional 20!!!!!

Will post the room pics when it's further along.

~ Max
(aka DJ Mexstacy)

[ Edited by: robotparts on 2004-07-26 12:42 ]

T

As of Monday, 7-26-04, the Spencers in the Lakewood Mall in Lakewood, CA had about 4 of the tiki lava lamps with blue sparkle lava for $9.99, about 5 sets of the 4 clear colored plastic tiki drinking glasses for $7.49, I believe, a few canoe shaped multi-candle tea light holders, many tiki head ash trays, several suffering bastard and pirate pens (made in Peru!), and only the display model of the small Electra Moai (like one in the photo 3 posts up), plus a few odds and ends like coconut bras and some book sets on how to have a party on the beach or something like that. No Tiki Loung sign, though.

[ Edited by: TikiSan on 2004-07-27 16:54 ]

I, too, have sought the elusive lighted Tiki Lounge Sign (as shown top of this page), but could not find it in my part of Iowa.

Has anyone seen the blue version of this guy lately? I'd really like him in blue as I'm accumulating way too many warm colored lights for my tiki area and want a cool-colored alcove. Green is as close as I've come.

My thanks to Palm Paunch for the use of his photograph.

Pages: 1 30 replies