Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Bamboo Black Stain

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

This is a question forwarded to me that I am posting for a fellow Tikiphile. I tried the search but did not come up with anything. Maybe someone can assist.

"I've cut and dried my own bamboo (about 1-1 1/2" thick) and as it turns green to tan it develops a blotchy black stain on it. After a rain, while still wet I was able to rub some off with my thumb. Is their a good way to remove this, like with a brush, and if I can, do I seal it with something. The bamboo you buy from the suppliers appears to be shellacked or something because it's so smooth. I would love to hear any ideas on this since I have an endless supply of it up to 2 1/2" thick".

Sounds like mold.

B

Hi tiki410, I would experiment on a piece that has not begun to show the spots. I would try a few different finishes. If the Bamboo is going to be out doors, finish accordingly. You can get crystal clear Urethane as well as Shellac, Lacquer and finishes like that from your local Home Depot or similar stores. Just wipe the piece off with a damp rag of lacquer thinner, let it dry and try a section. mark it with a marker so you know what the finish is and in a day or 2 try a different section. It may be expensive to buy several different finishes, but when you are done you can cover the whole bunch with the finish that worked out the best.
Hope this helps.

D

I got this book from the library, great info about harvesting, storing and working bamboo. your friend with the bamboo field should get a copy. there is a bunch of info about properly drying the stalks. which im too lazy to type :)

** The Craft & Art of Bamboo by Carol Strangler**

"Cleaning and fungal removal

Washing with soap and water removes dirt and mildew.. Use a high-pressure nozzle to blast off the dirt, spray with non-sudsing, mildew-removing cleaner, then follow with water rinse and let dry.

When stagnant air and dampness surround bamboo, patches of mold and fungus may grow on its surface and in the inside walls of soft bamboo. To discourage such growth, regularly rotate your materials.

You can spot clean mold and fungus by moistening a cloth with isopropyl alcohol…"

Pages: 1 3 replies