Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Question about Da Show in Redondo Beach

Pages: 1 22 replies

Hi,
We are planning to go to Da Show in Redondo Beach and I wondering if it is important to be one of the "early birds"? The show opens at 6am for early birds and 9am for gen. admin.
Thanks,
Gem

M

Aloha and Hola, YES it is very important to be an early bird...you would be amazed and how many things change hands in the first hour....it is well worth it to be in line and the line started last year at 5am...have a blast you will see some amazing pieces.

Thank you, Mexatiki! We will go early; we can sleep later.
Gem

M

No worries...and make sure you have the Lahaina fried chicken when you are there....it is the best...check out Jason Cohn he will be a first time dealer there...

Thank you; the Lahaina fried chicken sounds wonderful!

On 2004-05-15 11:15, mexatiki wrote:
...My name is Art Cruz previously part of alohacruz.com.

Art,

Are you still an organizer of "Da Show"?

http://www.aloha-cruz.com/da_show/dashow.html

M

Aloha and Hola Atomic Cocktail, I am no longer part of it...yes DA SHOW is/was my baby along with Cruz Nobleza but we split and I went in a different direction and am no longer part of it....my heart will be there with DA SHOW but I am not going to be there. Hope this answers your question.

M

TC Peeps,
I'll be selling and peddeling my Chit.
Come check it out...

There will be tons of cool Hawaiiana and Tiki.

http://www.aloha-cruz.com/

On 2004-05-15 13:35, mexatiki wrote:
Aloha and Hola, YES it is very important to be an early bird...you would be amazed and how many things change hands in the first hour....it is well worth it to be in line and the line started last year at 5am....

Are you kidding? It sounds like only the picked-over or overly expensive items will remain when I was intending to arrive around 9 am?

K
k'eli posted on Fri, Jun 4, 2004 11:37 AM

Where and when is Da Show in Redondo Beach? I not see this info?

Mahalo Nui!

DZ

This is TOMORROW!!

Who else is going? What time?

I'm gonna get there early, but probably not as early as I should (8-ish).

MTKahuna - lookin' forward to seein' you brah - it's been waaaay too long!

I'm going for window shopping only (I hope, at those prices!) and to meet my friend DeSoto Brown, who is coming over from Honululu for the event to be there at early Bird call...not me, I'll get there when I get up.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-06-18 18:08 ]

I'll be there, but Lady Velour will be enjoying her other hobby, jewelry shopping at the gem and jewelry show in Santa Monica.

H

I am new to all this but I will be there for sure buying stuff at high prices cause I dont know any better, so if you see me HELP.. Ill be wearing red Hawaiian print pants. I cant wait.

Me and the ohana will be there sometime after 9am. I figure if something there is suppose to be mine, then it will be there waiting for me to buy it. If not, then no worries. I'm actually going to make an effort to surprise the girls by taking them to breakfast at Kings Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant, since it's only less than 7 miles from Kings Hawaiian to 'Da Show.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Okay. I was an early bird. I woke up at 3:30am to get to Redondo Beach by 6am.

For the first few minutes all I did was pick up mugs, look at the prices and laugh. I'm thinking, "Alright. I'm going home with my wallet in tact." Of course, the more booths I checked out, the more reasonable prices I found.

By 8am, I was out of cash and had written one kind of large check. (I found the Westwood oil and vinegar cruets that I have always wanted. Tiki Quest page 66)

I left shortly after that since I was out of money and the place was really starting to fill up.

All in all, it was a great way to spend a morning.

I got there at about 1:45. There was a lot of good stuff there. Thanks to MTKahuna I got a very cool dress!

H

I got there at 10:00 and was there quiet a while, I found some good bargains, of coarse I had to bargain. I loved the fried chicken that was recommended. The whole affair was fun, specially everyone was dressed so fun. I left short of spending $450 for this fine Hawaiian girl painting. Fortunately, I got a reality check. O by the way I wish I could have gone to that Hawaiian bakery, but I spend all my money.

H

By the way, there is another DA SHOW this year. It is on SAT Nov. 13, 04. Same place, same everything. See you then.

DZ

I got there around 8:30, and found that Bong had already been there and gone! Talked with K.C. and MTKahuna for a while (Tiki Kate – I guess I got there shortly after you made your purchase ‘cause Mike mentioned it to me right away), met up with Johnnie Velour and WheelerIsland (where you been, man? We gotta see more of you – online & in person!) and made the rounds. Saw SugarCaddyDaddy (a.k.a. “Number 2”) and his family – his daughter was busily amassing a large collection of business cards - as well as Big Bro, who picked up a cool drum and made me feel better about not buying a carved Marquesian pole (it was carved ‘all wrong’ apparently...) RiderSouth was there, passing out flyers with a picture of his stolen tiki (keep the faith brah – somebody is gonna know somebody who knows its whereabouts!)

After much shopping, hemming and hawing, finally went home with a nice 2 1/2 ft moai for the garden and a bunch of stickers from K.C.! Took off around noon and finished off the days events with brunch at King’s Hawaiian with Johnnie V and TikiFille. All in all, a very fine day!

Sorry I missed all the other TCers that were there (especially those that came from afar: Sparklegem, TikiKate, Hiltiki) – until we get some sort of "easily recognizable" TikiCentral hats/shirts/pins/whatever, we’ll all continue to walk right by each other without even knowing it...

DZ

On 2004-06-20 10:31, hiltiki wrote:
By the way, there is another DA SHOW this year. It is on SAT Nov. 13, 04. Same place, same everything. See you then.

The show in November is called ISLAND FEVER – same place, same organizers, different vendors: it will actually feature all the new and repro Hawaiiana/Surf/Tiki vendors that couldn’t sell at DA SHOW due to it’s “vintage-only” policy.

Here’s the flyer (you gotta have Adobe Acrobat to read it…) http://www.aloha-cruz.com/island_fever_flyer.pdf

L

and no fo'get ya?!
da real Hawaiian kine show
is coming up towards the end of next month.

July 23,24,25, 2004
at da H.I.C., Honoruru

L

since it's only less than 7 miles from Kings Hawaiian to 'Da Show.

oh man. Kings bread. grew up on it in da 60s and 70s in hawaii as erryone did. great family that owns and runs it.

support em!

Pages: 1 22 replies