Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI OASIS IV, HOTEL GUESTS of the Caliente tropics Resort!

Pages: 1 21 replies

Aloha!

You all received a letter with the turndown service on Saturday evening. (Yes, it was different from the letter you received at turndown on Friday.) If you've got it, hang on to it, as it will not be transmitted again, and it offers a great incentive to come and see us again.

I've avoided this posting for well over a year now, as I didn't want to impose--we are grateful for the support and the business we receive from ALL of you--WE MIGHT NOT BE HERE WITHOUT YOU. Now we're asking for another fifteen minutes of your time, plus the time it takes to understand this.

If you recall, our letter also asks for your positive input on TripAdvisor.com as well as CitySearch.com, the two largest consumer travel opinion web sites.

Here's why. Both of these sites are owned by Interactive Corporation (IAC). This MONSTER is quickly approaching a questionable (ANTI-TRUST/MONOPOLY level) of control over the hospitality industry--especially threatening for small operations like the CTR that have to slug-it-out in the world arena of rubber-stamp chain hotels with HUGE sales and marketing budgets.

As a further example, this company now controls over 32,000 urls worldwide, directing travel-seekers to their booking sites--HOTELS.COM and EXPEDIA.COM. And, this is just for starters--there are many other companies they control as well, including Hotwire.Com (travel), the Home Shopping Network, Entertainment Publications (travel), Evite, Match.Com, TicketMaster, LendingTree.com, Interval International(travel), etc., etc.

The opinions on CitySearch.Com and TripAdvisor.Com, are used to rate hotels on their web sites, including Hotels.Com and Expedia.Com, not to mention ALL of the others (see http://www.iac.com). Is this starting to sound a little scary?

What's even scarier, is that we absolutely cannot survive without them. As of the start of Tiki Oasis IV, this monster owed us more than $110,000.00, about 20% of our revenue for 2003. Approximately $30,000.00 was OVER 120 days! They represent hundreds of thousands of guest rooms worldwide, and, on the average, it is estimated they owe at least $1,000.00 per guest room they represent. As of Friday, May 14, some of their investment ratings have dropped to a level 'D.' The overall point is we're doing business with the devil, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You might have read or heard about some of the big chains changing their "distribution channels" so they have more or complete control over their pricing--this is not a reality for the CTR. And, like so many others, almost 25 cents of every dollar Hotels.Com takes in, and 33 cents of every dollar Expedia.Com takes in, on our behalf, goes into THEIR pocket. So, until the time I change my name to HILTON or STARWOOD, we're getting kicked in the teeth--this also explains why our rate structure is worked-out the way it is.

ALL OF THAT SAID (and there really is a lot more to tell), please take ten-to-fifteen minutes to enlighten others on one of these opinion web sites and tell potential guests how much you enjoy our FREE breakfast, our luxury mattress sets, our mostly-cotton sheets, custom towels, pool towels, decor, cocktails, complimentary beverages, amenities, daily L.A. Times, custom furnishings, nightly turndown service, and our Great Original 60s Tiki Personality (which is now listed on the Palm Springs top 200 Historical Sites Survey!).

Why is this SOOOO important to us? Because both web sites (TripAdvisor and CitySearch) consistently refuse to remove or research complaints made without merit, and THEY ARE EXTREMELY INFLUENTIAL TO POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS. Eighty percent of those comments on TripAdvisor are known customers to us (we have tracked them), and many have decided to tell less-than-the-truth, to grind an axe. For example, two reviews are from people who HAVE NEVER STAYED WITH US, even though this is against TripAdvisors' own rules. Almost every one of the axe grinders are people who have booked through a wholesale site or 800-service who have been made promises by these third parties and completely un-related to what we offer--just so their company can pocket the huge markup. Many others complain about policies which are completely disclosed at the time of sale AND for which they have signed the registration/contract with us at the time of check-in. What's ironic is that we do a very healthful repeat business, despite this vocal minority.

HOWEVER, this vocal minority, with the muscle of INTERACTIVE COPORATION, has the potentional to sink us, for good. This will happen if we fail to get enough positive comments from the vast majority of our guests who are very happy with our product. Hopefully, THAT IS YOU.

If you're not satisfied, or happy, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW. When guests are disatisfied, and give us an opportunity to turn that around, we can almost always count on their repeat business.

Because of the relationships we have with so many of you, there is a very fine line between what is professional and what is simply too much information. I sincerely hope you are not offended, or feel we are imposing on you in an inappropriate manner, in asking for your help.

I welcome your questions.

Mahalo Nui Loa!

The way you treat us, I hope you never have to say please again, or sorry for asking.
When you are an upstanding part of the TC Ohana, the world is yours.
Casey you have have done nothing but try to make us all happy, to return that in this small way is an honor.

I did not think that they would like my 3rd grade poetry, so I gave them this 3rd grade review on Trip Advisor.

The rooms are awsome, from the wonderful decor, the sheets to the bath towels, pool towels, and carpet, it all feels custom. Any time I have needed the staff they have been there. LA. times on my door matt, free breakfast, nightly turn down. What else do you want? How about a fully stocked bar with indoor and outdoor seating that stays in theme with the grounds of this Hawaiian Tiki adventure. The pool is so big you could have 10 lanes of racing. I liked it so much I have come back 4 times.
Once with my entire family for my Mother's Birthday weekend, they all loved it too. And now I just read that it is one of 2oo Palm Springs Historical sites that's a must visit. That being said, I think you must visit.

I hope that did not make it worse?

Have no brakes
Cannot stop
Mahalo to you
Baxdog
What the hell is wrong with everyone

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2004-05-16 09:02 ]

C

WOW! What can I say?
Mahalo!

I am happy to provide an excellent rating for the Tropics. If anyone else is inclined, here are the links.

Here is the City Search Link for Rating the TropicsCitySearchCalienteTropics

Here is the CTR rating link for Trip Advisor.com
TripAdvisorCalienteTropics

You got it! I love the Caliente Tropics!

You got it! I love the Caliente Tropics!

Aloha Casey!
You know I am rooting for you, so here are my 2 cents...(nobody copy me!)

A Tropics Trip is like timetravelling!

WOW! I recently spent a few magical days in the 1960's! The Caliente Tropics took me back to the Tiki world that I always wish I could have experienced, (but was too young) I spent an afternoon in a pool surrounded by exotic Hawaiian Tiki decor, the bar is amazing, truly one of a kind. The minute I stepped into their enchanting lobby, I felt I left the rest of the world behind. The Caliente Tropics made me feel like a King, from the giant beach towels to the complimentary (and extensive) breakfast, to the complimentary soft drinks. I don't think I could ever stay at a "generic" hotel again.

Caliente Tropics is a Hawaiian Paradise in Palm Springs

I didn't want to leave the Caliente Tropics paradise after three wonderfully enchanting days. Between the bamboo gardens and the incredible Hawaiian Tiki bar, the only thing missing was a concert by Don Ho! I was really impressed with the staff and my god, the lobby is beautiful! Definately check out the amazing complimentary breakfast and they even provided some free soft drinks in the room's minibar. Since my first visit, I have been back twice. My favorite thing about the Caliente Tropics is that I know that there is only one! That sure makes me feel special when I'm there.

Its pretty sappy sounding but who knows who will be listening, I also complained about an offensive review asking it to be removed, and I voted on a couple reviews saying they weren't helpful. I guess every bit helps. Good luck Casey!

A friend of mine pointed out last week that there is a blurb about CTR in the new issue of Traditional Home Magazine (I think that was the one). There was a several page feature on the rebirth of Palm Springs that included a sidebar on "Where to Stay". Congrats!

-Z

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32847-d219654-r2063157-Caliente_Tropics_Resort-Palm_Springs_California.html]Check

I made it to the top of the page!!
Come on boys and girls we can change those negative Neds to positive Pete's

Review is now posted! It's a great one, of course!

C'mon and support the Tropics with your reviews. I read some of the negative ones posted and cant beleive theyre talking about the same place.
Alooooha!

M

Casey- I'll write you a positive review, but I do have a question:

What exactly IS the difference between a hotel and a motel?

I have always assumed (incorrectly?) that the difference more or less is that hotels have room service.

Can you (or anyone) clear this up for me?

C

Aloha!
A hotel has interior corridors. A motel has exterior corridors (usually you can drive-up to the room). I believe the term motor hotel came about when companies like Sheraton and Hilton tried to be a little more sophisicated, in the 60s and 70s, in an attempt to separate their "drive-up" products from the pack. The San Francisco Hilton, as an example, was the worlds' largest motor hotel, as you could drive-up to your room, all the way to the 16th floor, but the corridors were inside, once you got out of the garage (kind of a hybrid). WE use the term motor hotel because the product (hotel furnishings, room size, and amenity level) matches or exceeds many full-service hotels, but with exterior corridors.

HOWEVER, the term MOTEL is outlawed by local codes in Palm Springs. The only product that has the term "motel" in the name in PS, is Motel 6, because that is their brand name. The CTR was originally called the tropics Hotel, which was NOT true-to-form.

Thanks for asking!

TB

There you go Casey, happy to do my part to help.

Tbird.

Aloha!
Thank you everyone. We're at #14 and climbing, and I sincerely appreciated the support. I can't tell you how frustrating it is when guests don't "get it." We are, literally, fighting for our survival and these wonderful comments make a HUGE difference. WE ARE EXTREMELY GRATEFUL. All we can hope for is that the vast majority of our guests are honest with us and share their satisfaction with others.
Mahalo!

It appears that the epinion fortunes of our beloved Caliente have risen - in spite of how few responses have (apparently) been entered. I know you are planning on offering your input soon, but (if you're like me, anyway) the more time that passes,the less likely you might be to take those extra few minutes to make your critical contribution.

As I looked at some of the existing comments about the Caliente I saw at these sites, I couldn't help but wonder what a drag these people must be! Go and register your feelings about this lovely tiki haven, don't wait.

I wrote a glowing review, and I flagged a couple of nasty review, "WHO YOU CALLIN' TRAILER TRASH, TRASH??" no wonder someone smacked him upside the head with a tennis ball. Trash.

Anyway - I love the Tropics, I fell in love there, got married there, and probly caught the flu from the pool, NOT the Tropics fault though!
xoxox
mrs. pineapple

I gave you a great review, even though I was unable to attend this year. I did attend Tiki Oasis II & IV. SHHH

C

Bless you, one and all.

Casey,

Thank you for the great experience at the last Tiki Oasis. Me and cheekygirl had a great time!!! We'll definetly be back next year. I just dropped my 2 cents worth at the two websites you spoke of. I hope it helps. I'll have Cheekygirl write a review for you also.

I can completely relate to your delemma. We have the same problem with the B.B.B. (Better Business Bureau), which, in my business (automotive repair) could help or hinder us. But that is the world we live in, everybodys got an axe to grind and J.D. powers ratings mean more to consumers and the dealerships than delivering quality service.

John

C

On 2004-05-25 02:18, GiantRobotTiki wrote:

I can completely relate to your delemma. We have the same problem with the B.B.B. (Better Business Bureau), which, in my business (automotive repair) could help or hinder us. But that is the world we live in, everybodys got an axe to grind and J.D. powers ratings mean more to consumers and the dealerships than delivering quality service.

John

John-
Thank you and thank God I'm not alone! I've got a BBB complaint sitting on my desk from a woman who we caught behind the bar one morning, who proceeded to raise her voice to John (who caught her) using crude language and inflammatory names in front of children and other guests. That was only the start--we eventually had the police come to get her out of the Resort. She makes her complaint so credible, don't you think?

Well, I've done my part! I've added my review to the most exellent Caliente Tropics!

Pages: 1 21 replies